This discussion is closed.
sinfonietta
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by HumanBrian)
I don't think that you can tell if kid is a trans at all. I played with Lego, tanks and barbies all together, most of my childhood friends were girls. How would you even tell the difference between gay and trans in someone who is still like 8yo? Most 15yo cannot really tell for sure.
Raising a child a gender neutral can be only negative. It's like a lottery. How many people can realistically be gender neutral, 1 in 100,000? Does that feels like a safe odd?
As far as I can tell this is a child abuse.
It's not as vague as what toys the play with. Usually the parent finds out due to the child telling the parent that they don't feel like their biological gender or showing typical symptoms of dysphoria. e.g. a severe example involves parents who have found their sons with scissors in hand contemplating cutting off their own genitalia.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mel W)
I have a young baby with my bf and I want to raise it as gender neutral but he got pissy with me about it and said it should be raised as one or the other he is barely talking to me after we had a big row about it yesterday, advice?
There are only 2 genders.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The most pertinent point about this thread is that the OP hasn't bothered to reply to anyone. It's their one and only post.

Hand grenade?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
The most pertinent point about this thread is that the OP hasn't bothered to reply to anyone. It's their one and only post.

Hand grenade?
Or should it be 'troll alert'?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Or should it be 'troll alert'?
You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
tbh id be quite annoyed too
HumanBrian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This is an extreme like 1 in 10 million, that kid is way over the top and is likely to have multiple other issues. Also, kids got no reference frame to their gender status, they cannot tell that they do not feel like a buy or girl for same reason that they cannot tell if they are democrat or republican. It requires a level of abstraction that is not in small kids and that abstraction has to build on experience. Kid must be a teenager for a while to even start building up understanding and experience to be able to tell what they think that they are. Sexuality has hormonal backing and until you hit puberty there is pretty much none and without that, there is nothing going on.
Lot of my work spins around the way kids learn, mostly trying to formalise and then emulate that process, there are some hard limits to when you can understand what. You are not born with a personality, this is a long a and complex process with certain milestones at certain ages. You cannot skip them, this would be straight against biology.
(Original post by sinfonietta)
It's not as vague as what toys the play with. Usually the parent finds out due to the child telling the parent that they don't feel like their biological gender or showing typical symptoms of dysphoria. e.g. a severe example involves parents who have found their sons with scissors in hand contemplating cutting off their own genitalia.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
creates a whole lot of conflict, and being part of a trans/nonconforming identity should be explored but is certainly not the majority..

cringe when I saw this video, confides in the journalist that they wish they are allowed to play with dolls and dresses instead, even the children are not comfortable, but the parents wish to rewrite biology and ignore the majority, to create a utopian genderless society, editing pronouns out of all their books...?

Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 5 days ago
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You're boyfriend is right.
ARealNowhereMan
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Im just sayin, like most people here, raise them without gender stereotypes, not “gender neutral”, as that is their choice to identify as, not yours
Anonymous #4
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are only 2 genders.
I have a meme
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Hmmmmmmm?)
Why would your parents dislike this? You’re you and you’re okay with being you. There really doesn’t seem to be any reason to be upset with that so long as you are happy. I mean honestly, I’d rather be worried about making sure my kid is happy and healthy over anything else.
My parents are political revolutionaries and delight in almost all things connected to fringe ideologies.
Anarchism, class war and anything anti-establishment.
They were the students of militant era and have never grown out of waging ideological warfare upon "the bourgeoisie and their social institutions".
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Tootles)
How dare you be what you are :lol:
Sounds funny when you say it.
Less so when it's my mother snarling, my father bellowing and the rest of the cabal circling.
UKUser01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mel W)
I have a young baby with my bf and I want to raise it as gender neutral but he got pissy with me about it and said it should be raised as one or the other he is barely talking to me after we had a big row about it yesterday, advice?
I don't blame him. You should have told him your intentions before the baby was conceived.
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No, don't raise your kid as gender neutral. They're gonna getting bullied at school.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Sam_Hacking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mel W)
He as a right to be angry. There are only two biological genders, male and female if an individual chooses to attempt to escape their ascribed gender that is a choice they must make themselves when they are adults. Until then it is the parent's duty to socialize them to their ascribed gender, most people are not part of the trans community. It is a very small percentage of society and you should not force a child to be part of it but, you should accept it if they choose to later on in life.
Max1989
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Indeeds as everyone has said, do what the child wants not what you want, and they will not be at a suitable level of understanding of themselves at such a young age or not even until they hit high school even. If they do identify as something else and they are genuinely serious about it then treat it as it is and respect your child. But a child is not going to know who they are if they do not experience both sides of humanity, so play safe and do what they are biologically built to be, if they want to play with the opposite sexes toys (although toys are gender neutral anyway no matter the colour or purpose as they are toys for rice wines sake). Treat them of who they are in the eyes of humanity as they do not know who they are, then when they reach an age they can confidently say 'I'm me" then address that hurdle when the time comes, no need to cause your child even more confusion or suffering due to not being 'normal'.

But yeah I think this is either a hypothetical situation or a troll as you should of discussed this wayyyy beforehand, why cause you child confusion of what to do when the parents are already confused on that matter?
Last edited by Max1989; 5 days ago
Anonymous #5
Report 5 days ago
I can’t believe how many people fell for the troll
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
:lol:
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Lol yess. Definately a troll 😅
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads