Do i have anxiety or something else?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I realised that i tend to worry so much about failure especially after exams and i keep talking about it too much with my friends which i know can cause them to worry as well. I know that people who have anxiety keep it to themselves and worry by themselves. I know none of you are mental health professionals but do you think i suffer from anxiety or some other mental health condition?
eashdown17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there, first of all, not everyone with anxiety keeps it to themselves !! I have diagnosed anxiety about my allergy (I’m severely allergic to peanuts) and this anxiety mostly comes up when I’m in stressful periods such as during exams, when I have panic attacks, feel ill (headaches/stomach aches/nausea etc) and I also get awful skin and other things. To be honest, you haven’t really said enough about your symptoms to know if it’s anxiety or just normal stress! And I know most people usually say “don’t google it” about things like this, but that’s what I did to see what symptoms can occur from anxiety and what a panic attack is, which led me to going to the doctor to be diagnosed so I get the help and support I need . Hopefully this helps!
danjamesgilbert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ive got social anxiety so I can say i know how you feel - and theres nothing wrong with it most of my friends know and all that means is that they can help me because they understand that i feel a little more than 'nervous' in a lot of situations.
If youre worried about exams, find somebody to talk to - saying how you feel and getting it out there helps in a lot of situations, but most importantly remember theres nothing wrong with worrying, its just not allowing it to take over thats the important part
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No idea, on the information given. You are right that a lot of people don't talk about it. Some people have it and probably don't realise.

Failure is a difficult one, it is true that it can be a very common preoccupation with anxiety. However that's one everyone has to deal with.

A related idea are things called thinking styles which include black or white thinking and catastrophising. These are ones that people with anxiety are less willing to talk about in public, such as the view that I'm either going to do well on my GCSEs which then means I'll do well at A-levels and then get into med school and become a brilliant doctor or I won't quite get what I was hoping for in GCSEs and I'll not get into sixth form and I'll never get a job, get a girlfriend, live with my parents forever and be unhappy. Or getting the bus to the exam so I have to set off two hours early so that the bus doesn't come early, then the next one comes late, then breaks down, so I have to walk to the exam and then I find I haven't brought my identification and pencil case and I have to walk back and am late for the exam and I just miss the half an hour late rule, so am excluded from the exam and fail. These repeat over and over again. They might crop up in all areas of your life from time to time when you get stressed.

Exams/interviews/public speaking are classics that give big stress reactions to a very large portion of the population. The US calls it 'performance anxiety'.

Examples of things that sound more exam type anxiety are someone has done 20 GCSE exams, they have done 18 A-level exams and however many times they do it, even if they get 90% everytime, however confident they are each time a new exam comes up they get gut wrenching pains in their stomach, feel queesy and dizzy, light panic attacks, so worried they can't sleep a few days before an exam. Think their life is over, very negative talk, they don't deserve to do well and then the exam is over they then spend the next few weeks worrying constantly about the results, rather than the few days before. They then ring up uni to tell them they want to take a gap year, not because they want to take a gap year, but because the just can't hack the idea of going.

The problem with googling stuff is that the stuff on google doesn't really get across the similarities between different anxiety disorders. A lot of people have panic attacks and have no idea, or rather unhelpfully are sometimes told by people with panic attacks who have them that they don't have panic attacks as they aren't exactly the same as the other person's.

Whether you have anxiety or not, look after yourself and talk to other people.
Last edited by marinade; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20.48%
I'm not sure (2)
2.41%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.71%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.61%
I'm not a current university student (38)
45.78%

Watched Threads