quiery121
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm very stuck on choosing my university choice to study film production. The choice is either BA Film Practice at LCC (Uni of the Arts London) or BA Film at Uni of Westminster. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better?
ZoeJasper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
not too sure which is better but I had a look at both but didn't end up applying for Westminster because when I went to the open days they were very focused on the theory and written side of film rather than practical, although obviously they do practical too. depends what you want to do and enjoy more
Last edited by ZoeJasper; 1 year ago
adancy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don’t really know much about LCC but Westminster is 60% practice though I have heard that it feels like a bit more because some of the theory feeds into the practical
University of the Arts London Student Reps
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

Hope you're well and congrats for your offer!

I know a couple of people who did this course and I've never heard bad feedback from it. This course is super popular and you're so lucky to have received an offer!

If you're still struggling to make up your mind, there's an Open Day in June. You can find more information here: https://www.arts.ac.uk/whats-on/lcc-...-screen-school. It'd be a great opportunity for you to find out what LCC has to offer and to get a taste of life as an LCC student. You'll also be able to meet and speak with current students and course leader from BA (Hons) Film Practice and future course mates too!

Let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,
Student Rep.
Celine
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Westminster is a CILECT member and has screen skills accreditation.

LCC isn’t and doesn’t.
mdstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quiery121)
I'm very stuck on choosing my university choice to study film production. The choice is either BA Film Practice at LCC (Uni of the Arts London) or BA Film at Uni of Westminster. Does anyone have any advice on which one is better?
If you don’t mind me asking which did you go for as I am having the same dilemma for this year?
student.hdache
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quiery121)
Skills certified course aside, I would really recommend against Westminster's Film BA. There's major issues in administration and organisation, and that's only gotten worse (or more obvious) this past year. Obviously just my opinion, but one I feel is shared by quite a few film students like myself
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by student.hdache)
Skills certified course aside, I would really recommend against Westminster's Film BA. There's major issues in administration and organisation, and that's only gotten worse (or more obvious) this past year. Obviously just my opinion, but one I feel is shared by quite a few film students like myself
Pretty much all practical film courses have struggled this year I'm afraid. Can you give more detail on the problems you've had at Westminster? Your insight could really benefit current and future applicants in understanding the problems.
student.hdache
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course, I’d be happy to! (The student room helped me out massively when I was applying for courses!) Outside of corona virus the course has had leadership hand overs twice over this and the past academic years. There is allegedly massive pressure from the new heads/administration of the arts campus to liquidate the course, merging it with other “similar” arts courses. A lack of understanding of what the course and the industry actually entails on the part of campus leaders has been shown, and there is also (my personal feeling here) a lack of respect for the students. I can obviously only speak for the film students, but there has been a greater focus on the universities “learning outcomes” than on actual learning. I know I came to Westminster for its claims that students would be industry-ready upon graduation, but that has not been the case. A lot of the tutors you will come into contact with are lovely, and the projects that do go ahead are good learning experiences for anyone who hasn’t had the chance to get work experience elsewhere - but I would assume these are elements of film courses all over the country. Of course the pandemic has meant that things can’t go ahead, there’s no doubt about that. But there has been an utter lack of communication from the university about course changes, and when conversations have been allowed to go ahead it seems more effort has been given to villainising students and defending themselves (school administrators and heads that is, not film tutors). For anyone like myself that saw university as the only way to get into the industry, or get access to resources and make films that otherwise wouldn’t be available/an option for you, I would recommend against this course
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for that information, I'm trying to decide between LCC and Westminster right now too. Do you think a lot of problems would be solved in a post Covid world? Something I'm nervous about as a potential student is coming out of uni with no job prospects or no way to actually get into the industry. At the open day Westminster gave me the impression that finding film related work wouldn't be an issue, do you think that's true or would I be better off going somewhere else? You've no idea how valuable your post was for me.
student.hdache
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by unsure_student03)
Thank you so much for that information, I'm trying to decide between LCC and Westminster right now too. Do you think a lot of problems would be solved in a post Covid world? Something I'm nervous about as a potential student is coming out of uni with no job prospects or no way to actually get into the industry. At the open day Westminster gave me the impression that finding film related work wouldn't be an issue, do you think that's true or would I be better off going somewhere else? You've no idea how valuable your post was for me.
No worries, I'm glad I could help at all! I only posted as I wish I'd known about internal issue before coming, instead of being blindsided haha
I don't see the problems they're facing being solved any time soon. They were rooted before and the pandemic has only lit a match to them. The course is incredibly good at marketing itself and, especially with the new management, I would say that you can't really be sure that you're going to get the same experience that you've initially been sold.
In talks/workshops tutors are fairly transparent that getting work after uni is solely off your own back/efforts, but also a lot of the people you'll be working under later on may have gone to Westminster themselves (as the course was so popular in the 80s/90s) so the university name itself creates some connections. In years gone by they've apparently had really great speakers in to talk to students and network, which alumni I've spoken to have said was useful for them (making connections and getting jobs later on). While I've been here though we've had very few of the same experiences as past years - and this seems to be the same for the students after me/there currently. Again, this might be the case at other unis as well but I wouldn't know, haha!
It's really about the body of work you come out with after you finish the course. The films you make at uni are, for most people, the bulk of your showreel - so if you're lucky enough to get a bunch of credits on good films, in the roles/departments you're aiming for, then it'll be worth it. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a role/department you're looking to get into? (As this also effects how useful the course is for you)
Also, are you looking to go to a course in London specifically? Just because I know that there are some much better run courses outside of London
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No worries, I'm glad I could help at all! I only posted as I wish I'd known about internal issue before coming, instead of being blindsided haha
I don't see the problems they're facing being solved any time soon. They were rooted before and the pandemic has only lit a match to them. The course is incredibly good at marketing itself and, especially with the new management, I would say that you can't really be sure that you're going to get the same experience that you've initially been sold.
In talks/workshops tutors are fairly transparent that getting work after uni is solely off your own back/efforts, but also a lot of the people you'll be working under later on may have gone to Westminster themselves (as the course was so popular in the 80s/90s) so the university name itself creates some connections. In years gone by they've apparently had really great speakers in to talk to students and network, which alumni I've spoken to have said was useful for them (making connections and getting jobs later on). While I've been here though we've had very few of the same experiences as past years - and this seems to be the same for the students after me/there currently. Again, this might be the case at other unis as well but I wouldn't know, haha!
It's really about the body of work you come out with after you finish the course. The films you make at uni are, for most people, the bulk of your showreel - so if you're lucky enough to get a bunch of credits on good films, in the roles/departments you're aiming for, then it'll be worth it. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a role/department you're looking to get into? (As this also effects how useful the course is for you)
Also, are you looking to go to a course in London specifically? Just because I know that there are some much better run courses outside of London
Thanks so much, at the moment I'm holding an unconditional from LCC and they seem really on the ball, and yes London is preferable as I've been told the opportunities there are better than any other place in the UK. Have you heard anything about the LCC course it's so difficult to find genuine feedback and not marketing. I haven't heard anything from Westminster so far, so I can back you up on the disorganised front hahaha, and no I don't have a specific role I want to get into - which roles does Westminster suit better? I noticed that LCC put a lot of effort into getting their students projects into festivals and awards, does that have an impact on helping you get work and has Westminster been successful in this department recently? Thank you so much for replying this is amazingly helpful.
student.hdache
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks so much, at the moment I'm holding an unconditional from LCC and they seem really on the ball, and yes London is preferable as I've been told the opportunities there are better than any other place in the UK. Have you heard anything about the LCC course it's so difficult to find genuine feedback and not marketing. I haven't heard anything from Westminster so far, so I can back you up on the disorganised front hahaha, and no I don't have a specific role I want to get into - which roles does Westminster suit better? I noticed that LCC put a lot of effort into getting their students projects into festivals and awards, does that have an impact on helping you get work and has Westminster been successful in this department recently? Thank you so much for replying this is amazingly helpful.
I was in the exact same position! Westminster took aaages to get back to me. I remember when I was looking at LCC it felt like it was in its very early stages, and I think by comparison at the time LCC seemed to be trying to market itself a lot more than Westminster. That was a while ago now though haha, and I've heard some good things about LCC from a few people in the years since.
If you're looking to get into camera or production roles (production manager, pa, ad) Westminster's good. However, I would warn people off if they want to do production design in any capacity.
Westminster are very festival oriented, scripts are sort of chosen based around how well they'll do when it comes to awards - and they all seem to do really well. A lot of the major productions I worked on at the course did well at festivals, but it is really a case by case basis I think.
It might be worth having a look at LCC alumni groups on Facebook if you want some proper feedback? You could post or dm, they'll definitely have better info than me on that front
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was in the exact same position! Westminster took aaages to get back to me. I remember when I was looking at LCC it felt like it was in its very early stages, and I think by comparison at the time LCC seemed to be trying to market itself a lot more than Westminster. That was a while ago now though haha, and I've heard some good things about LCC from a few people in the years since.
If you're looking to get into camera or production roles (production manager, pa, ad) Westminster's good. However, I would warn people off if they want to do production design in any capacity.
Westminster are very festival oriented, scripts are sort of chosen based around how well they'll do when it comes to awards - and they all seem to do really well. A lot of the major productions I worked on at the course did well at festivals, but it is really a case by case basis I think.
It might be worth having a look at LCC alumni groups on Facebook if you want some proper feedback? You could post or dm, they'll definitely have better info than me on that front
So to summarise what I've got from what you've said, the people that run the course and the tutors are good but the university doesn't quite get the course and is pushing for different things, and that LCC is possibly on the up and trying to fill a Westminster like role. Would you say that's a fair summary? thank you for the tips on the Facebook group you're incredibly helpful and I'm very grateful. Do you mind me asking how many years ago you left Westminster?
student.hdache
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So to summarise what I've got from what you've said, the people that run the course and the tutors are good but the university doesn't quite get the course and is pushing for different things, and that LCC is possibly on the up and trying to fill a Westminster like role. Would you say that's a fair summary? thank you for the tips on the Facebook group you're incredibly helpful and I'm very grateful. Do you mind me asking how many years ago you left Westminster?
That about sums it up! Glad I could be of some use to someone!
I graduated last year actually, still got friends on the course
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That about sums it up! Glad I could be of some use to someone!
I graduated last year actually, still got friends on the course
Thanks so much, you've been amazing. Good luck in the future!
University of Westminster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there

It's great to hear you have chosen Westminster as one of your choices to study Film at university. Just to let you know the admissions team are definitely on top of processing applications. Not sure if you know but the UCAS deadline has been extended to 29 January which means that applications are still open for this course and it may be that students will not hear back until after the deadline. Its not the admissions team being disorganised, far from it. They are all working extremely hard having to work remotely from home in a lockdown juggling work and family commitments.

Best of luck with your application.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Westminster)
Hi there

It's great to hear you have chosen Westminster as one of your choices to study Film at university. Just to let you know the admissions team are definitely on top of processing applications. Not sure if you know but the UCAS deadline has been extended to 29 January which means that applications are still open for this course and it may be that students will not hear back until after the deadline. Its not the admissions team being disorganised, far from it. They are all working extremely hard having to work remotely from home in a lockdown juggling work and family commitments.

Best of luck with your application.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
thanks , that's good to hear.
can you tell me about the course leadership? I understand Peter Sort handed over to Tom Hooper. is tom Hooper still the course leader?
Does the university have any ongoing discussions about merging the course with other media based degrees?
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mdstudent)
If you don’t mind me asking which did you go for as I am having the same dilemma for this year?
Honestly I’m in my first year of a film production course (not Westminster) and I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s just not worth it. Theres several reasons if you want me to go into more detail
unsure_student03
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
Honestly I’m in my first year of a film production course (not Westminster) and I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s just not worth it. Theres several reasons if you want me to go into more detail
Which uni are you at? What don’t you find worth it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (241)
51.72%
No (225)
48.28%

Watched Threads