The Student Room Group

I'm a boring person help please

Scroll to see replies

Agreed and even less boring if you drink 🍊 orange juice with bits in
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you!! What should I do if the person doesn't make an attempt to have a conversation? For example if I share an experience with them and they reply with "Okay. That's nice." Or if I ask them a question then just say a one worded response.

Should I give up with making conversation with them?

The answer to that is a great big "It depends." It depends on the situation, the circumstances, your past interactions with the person, if any.

Sometimes people just don't want to talk with you. That's OK.
Often people are shy / quiet / untalkative - especially if you're not in their social clique. In that case if you share an anecdote with them, keep it short and bright and breezy. Just breaking the ice with a 1 minute conversation may be good enough. Every time you see them after that give them a friendly greeting. And then take things from there.

Alternatively, it may be that best thing is to focus on doing something with them. Whatever's at hand in the situation you're in. For example getting on with your game of ten pin bowling if you've just met them at your local bowling alley.

There are lots of other things that you could do when presented with an unresponsive person. Follow your instincts.
I’m still boring. And I’m 55! 😉
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
The answer to that is a great big "It depends." It depends on the situation, the circumstances, your past interactions with the person, if any.

Sometimes people just don't want to talk with you. That's OK.
Often people are shy / quiet / untalkative - especially if you're not in their social clique. In that case if you share an anecdote with them, keep it short and bright and breezy. Just breaking the ice with a 1 minute conversation may be good enough. Every time you see them after that give them a friendly greeting. And then take things from there.

Alternatively, it may be that best thing is to focus on doing something with them. Whatever's at hand in the situation you're in. For example getting on with your game of ten pin bowling if you've just met them at your local bowling alley.

There are lots of other things that you could do when presented with an unresponsive person. Follow your instincts.

Thank you yet again! Also I'm extremely sorry but I have one last question.
I don't know what to do when I see a friend/acquaintance down the road or corridor and I want to say hi but I don't know if I should wave at them then awkwardly keep walking down to them and say hi again or shout hi as I'm gradually walking towards them.

When I want to say hi but the person is far away from me should I smile while maintaining eye contact with them? Or should I just look away then look at them and say hi when we are at a closer distance?

Normally I would try to avoid awkward situations by completely avoiding the person so that I don't have to go through my silly panics. Whenever I see a teacher of mine I would make some awkward eye contact with them and make a 180 turn while speed walking.
Thank you for your response! I have to admit that my friends most of the time make it difficult to have a conversation. Most of the time they would either say "Okay. That's nice." or "No one cares about x." or "Shut up." or would simply nod their head.

Hopefully I'll meet someone nice and easy to talk to (^_^ )
Thank you yet again! Also I'm extremely sorry but I have one last question.
I don't know what to do when I see a friend/acquaintance down the road or corridor and I want to say hi but I don't know if I should wave at them then awkwardly keep walking down to them and say hi again or shout hi as I'm gradually walking towards them.

When I want to say hi but the person is far away from me should I smile while maintaining eye contact with them? Or should I just look away then look at them and say hi when we are at a closer distance?

Normally I would try to avoid awkward situations by completely avoiding the person so that I don't have to go through my silly panics. Whenever I see a teacher of mine I would make some awkward eye contact with them and make a 180 turn while speed walking.

Your teachers wages are paid by the local education authority. The local education authority gets all of its money from various taxes. You and your parents pay taxes. Therefore, you and your parents pay for your teachers to be in the job that they are in.

It would therefore be quite reasonable for you to think of your teachers as employees of you and your family.

This means that the appropriate attitude that you should have towards your teachers is that you are their boss and that they are valued and cherished employees of your family business.
You will get more out of your time at school if you treat your teachers as valued "servants" (in the broadest sense of the term) than if you think of them as people to be feared.
By that I don't mean that should bark at your teachers like a bad tempered autocratic boss. But that you should be like a fair and reasonable and caring manager, with a good two-way relationship between you and the teacher.
As an example, with this boss mentality, if you need some help understanding first order differential equations in order for you to get the highest grade in your maths exam, you go to your maths teacher and set them the task of explaining this topic to you in terms that you can understand. Or at the very least in them directing you to a resource, a book or a web page that will explain what you need to know.

You are not at school to please your teachers. Your at school because that is a convenient place for your teachers to help you.

As for giving your friends a warm and friendly greeting every time you see them, it doesn't matter how you give them a warm and friendly greeting. All that matters is that you give them a warm and friendly greeting.
i found peace in your violence.
Just wait until you are up closer to the teacher or friend, smile and say hi. Nobody objects to a friendly smile. Unless they are a Bond villain
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Your teachers wages are paid by the local education authority. The local education authority gets all of its money from various taxes. You and your parents pay taxes. Therefore, you and your parents pay for your teachers to be in the job that they are in.

It would therefore be quite reasonable for you to think of your teachers as employees of you and your family.

This means that the appropriate attitude that you should have towards your teachers is that you are their boss and that they are valued and cherished employees of your family business.
You will get more out of your time at school if you treat your teachers as valued "servants" (in the broadest sense of the term) than if you think of them as people to be feared.
By that I don't mean that should bark at your teachers like a bad tempered autocratic boss. But that you should be like a fair and reasonable and caring manager, with a good two-way relationship between you and the teacher.
As an example, with this boss mentality, if you need some help understanding first order differential equations in order for you to get the highest grade in your maths exam, you go to your maths teacher and set them the task of explaining this topic to you in terms that you can understand. Or at the very least in them directing you to a resource, a book or a web page that will explain what you need to know.

You are not at school to please your teachers. Your at school because that is a convenient place for your teachers to help you.

As for giving your friends a warm and friendly greeting every time you see them, it doesn't matter how you give them a warm and friendly greeting. All that matters is that you give them a warm and friendly greeting.

Seriously thanks! It's better for me to change my perspective of things (^_^ )
Original post by Oxford Mum
Just wait until you are up closer to the teacher or friend, smile and say hi. Nobody objects to a friendly smile. Unless they are a Bond villain

Thank you! I've encounter a few Bond villians in my time.
I actually have a solution, but its quite hard...
Firstly how old are you?
This method will only work if you are 14+
Apply to volunteer at your local library or any social place, volunteer for about 6-8months, During this time, You will be forced to talk to random people.after this long and continious practice. speaking will be a breeze, I have so far volunteered for more that 2 year with 200+hours of voluntary work
Original post by 14yalamanchilig
I actually have a solution, but its quite hard...
Firstly how old are you?
This method will only work if you are 14+
Apply to volunteer at your local library or any social place, volunteer for about 6-8months, During this time, You will be forced to talk to random people.after this long and continious practice. speaking will be a breeze, I have so far volunteered for more that 2 year with 200+hours of voluntary work

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

I'll have to convince my parents though as they say that most things are dangerous so I don't really get the chance to go to social places.
What a great idea plus I don’t think op is boring at all
What a great idea plus I don’t think op is boring at all

Thank you! (^_^ )
And whilst we’re at it, have a lovely Easter break
And whilst we’re at it, have a lovely Easter break

I'll try too eventhough I have exams coming up! I hope you enjoy your Easter break too
Good luck to you and to everyone on tsr with exams!
exams as in GCSE?
Original post by 14yalamanchilig
exams as in GCSE?

Yea I'm in Year 11
When I was younger, I always felt the same as you. Then I met people I actually liked and had things in common with and the 'weirdness' became the new normal in my new group of friends.
I want to be more social and interesting but I'm a boring person who has nothing interesting to talk about. I can barely hold a conversation.

Plus I wish I could sound more natural when having a conversation but I just stutter or speak too fast or my voice changes to something weird. It's like I don't know how to sound/speak to sound more interesting.

I wish I could be like my friends who can easily start any conversation with anyone and become friends instantly. I know I've been called weird and annoying before and I'm so socially awkward and don't know what to do in situations.

I want to be a part of a group instead of just standing awkwardly on the sidelines having nothing interesting to add in. I purposely act annoying or weird because I'm a really boring person and that's the only way I could think of to gain any attention.

What should I do please? On YouTube most videos just say talk about the weather or be a good listener (but then it'll be a one sided conversation eventhough I know what they mean).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending