Too old for the Fast Stream? Watch

legalbeagle1990
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all,

I shall be turning 29 this November, though I hope to be applying for the fast stream in September. I spent a few years working in the USA after graduation and then completed a Masters, so I have not been idle, but I worry I may be too old for the Civil Service Fast Stream?

I imagine most of those starting on grad schemes will be fresh out of their undergrad degree?

Thanks.
Vexper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There's people in their late 30's starting on the fast stream... I think you'll be okay.
legalbeagle1990
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Vexper)
There's people in their late 30's starting on the fast stream... I think you'll be okay.
Late 30's? I always assumed it was fresh undergrads straight out of University.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by legalbeagle1990)
Commonly it is recent graduates but my friend started got into the Fast Stream in her late twenties after working other jobs.
Vexper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It has a 'Civil Service' entry route. If you're an existing civil servant you don't need to be a grad to apply. One of the key reasons you may feel it's only accessible to graduates is that the older you are, the more tied to an area you become. You may be married, have kids and they're at school there, have a mortgage etc. If that's the case, something like the Fast Stream where you are forced to move around the country is simply not possible. Fresh grads are not likely to have those ties, so the Fast Stream is more accessible to them. So, you'll likely see more grads. The Fast Stream itself if you are able to commit to it definitely won't cater towards fresh grads - infact, if you have gained lots of useful experience in your time over those grads, and you can showcase that, you probably stand a better chance of progressing on it. They're looking for leaders, if you already have experience in that, then you're already a step ahead of the others.
ChangeOurWorld
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
But I didn't think you necessarily got forced to move around the country! From my experience most Fast Stream jobs are based in London and they are very good at placing you in an area of the country that you have ties to if this is essential to you (e.g. family/house responsibilities). Although the extent of flexibility is dependent on each scheme. I know one person who got placed in Liverpool his first year then London the next, but that was his choice to move the second time.
(Original post by Vexper)
It has a 'Civil Service' entry route. If you're an existing civil servant you don't need to be a grad to apply. One of the key reasons you may feel it's only accessible to graduates is that the older you are, the more tied to an area you become. You may be married, have kids and they're at school there, have a mortgage etc. If that's the case, something like the Fast Stream where you are forced to move around the country is simply not possible. Fresh grads are not likely to have those ties, so the Fast Stream is more accessible to them. So, you'll likely see more grads. The Fast Stream itself if you are able to commit to it definitely won't cater towards fresh grads - infact, if you have gained lots of useful experience in your time over those grads, and you can showcase that, you probably stand a better chance of progressing on it. They're looking for leaders, if you already have experience in that, then you're already a step ahead of the others.
Last edited by ChangeOurWorld; 2 months ago
ChangeOurWorld
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You really won't be that old. At my assessment centre and the selection board, there were several people in their late 20s and I know of several people that started it after completing PhDs in their early 30s. You won't be too old, in fact you're more likely to pass (and with a higher score) than most the undergrads applying. The initial tests favour those with work experience in a way.

Also once on the graduate scheme you're not working side by side with other fast streamers, you'll all be in different teams in different departments with people much older than you anyway.
Hi all,

I shall be turning 29 this November, though I hope to be applying for the fast stream in September. I spent a few years working in the USA after graduation and then completed a Masters, so I have not been idle, but I worry I may be too old for the Civil Service Fast Stream?

I imagine most of those starting on grad schemes will be fresh out of their undergrad degree?

Thanks.
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I spoke to someone from the fast stream this week at a careers fair and he said that the majority of people he met were in their mid to late twenties, so don't worry about being ''too old''
Ynnus
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am 42. Starting this autumn as a civil service entrant. I've been granted a relocation restriction due to having a child, they do try to find jobs close enough to where you live.

I am also not the oldest to be starting this year. I know of another guy who is 42, a woman in her late 40s, and I saw a guy who looked to be in his 50s at the recent onboarding event.
ChangeOurWorld
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I guess the only thing that may dissuade older people from doing the fast stream is that the pay is quite low for the duration of the scheme and you'll probably be taking a pay cut for 3-5 years.
legalbeagle1990
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Stellar advice from all! Thank you!
gladglad12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have received an offer and will be 28 when I start this year - I went to university at 24. I was told that the average age is mid 20s as a large proportion of people had to apply 2/3+ times even to get onto the scheme. Hope that helps and just go for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (38)
15.77%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (17)
7.05%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)
7.05%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (26)
10.79%
Monster Munch (18)
7.47%
Pringles (64)
26.56%
Walkers Oven Baked Crisps (15)
6.22%
Walkers Beef and Onion (3)
1.24%
Thai Sweet Chili Sensations (43)
17.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise