Conditional offer I can’t meet Watch

Gunners89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades and what the gcse grades they are asking for in the offer. What I’m confused about though is why did they still make an offer when they know I don’t hold them? The course I’m doing now though has a lot of maths content to it
Ben Lockley
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ring them up ASAP and see if they've made an exception with regards to your GCSEs and given you the standard offer regardless.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gunners89)
I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades and what the gcse grades they are asking for in the offer. What I’m confused about though is why did they still make an offer when they know I don’t hold them? The course I’m doing now though has a lot of maths content to it
then they've made a mistake and you will probably get away with it. your uni will not receive your GCSE grades again.

i don't recommend doing a mathsy degree if you are not 100% comfortable with maths though.
Gunners89
Rep:
?
I’m doing Access to Science course right now, in which a few units are maths units so I’m hoping they will accept those in lieu
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m doing Access to Science course right now, in which a few units are maths units so I’m hoping they will accept those in lieu
They’re expecting you to resit your maths GCSE.
Gunners89
Rep:
?
But surely they must know I’m not as I didn’t put down that I was currently doing that on my application? I don’t mind doing it alongside my degree
(Original post by PQ)
They’re expecting you to resit your maths GCSE.
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But surely they must know I’m not as I didn’t put down that I was currently doing that on my application? I don’t mind doing it alongside my degree
You need to speak to them. You should have queried this with them before accepting the offer.
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello,

Definitely worth giving them a ring and checking in - if it's going to be an issue, you need time to rectify it before exam time.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you!

Abbi

Student Rep, Uni of Hudds
Gunners89
Rep:
?
Yeah I will ask about this when I’m there Wednesday attending the open day for my chosen area of study. Thanks
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I will ask about this when I’m there Wednesday attending the open day for my chosen area of study. Thanks
They may not have the time/facility to check specific queries about offers at the open day - this is usually for more general advice. I'd recommend calling them on Monday to get this resolved.
Gunners89
Rep:
?
Okay will do thanks
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
They may not have the time/facility to check specific queries about offers at the open day - this is usually for more general advice. I'd recommend calling them on Monday to get this resolved.
Gunners89
Rep:
?
To be honest I thought the maths units I’m doing on my course would account for the maths GCSE and with me doing an access course and being out of education for years before this would give me some leeway
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be honest I thought the maths units I’m doing on my course would account for the maths GCSE and with me doing an access course and being out of education for years before this would give me some leeway
Unfortunately, most unis are still very keen on you having Maths and English GCSEs. It's likely that Maths GCSE covers a much wider range of skills than the units on your access course, which may be just focused on a single area, such as statistics. It's also easier for unis to have blanket requirements for GCSEs, rather than having to look at everything on a case by case basis.

It may also be that they've let people on without Maths GCSE in the past and have found that they struggled.

Finally, it may also be to do with employability after the degree is over. In a lot of fields, having a Maths GCSE is essential or very helpful for getting a job, even if you also have a relevant degree.
_Leviathan_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should have queried before making the firm offer.
Phone them or just try emailing the admissions team and see what they say. The open day may not be much of help as it’s just a general information on the uni and the subjects.
Good luck!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Gunners89
Rep:
?
Attended the open day yesterday and I was able to speak with one of the admissions staff. Had an email later in the day then saying they’ll accept the maths content I’m doing now instead of a maths gcse and will accept my English literature grade c in lieu of English language. So all good
TheTroll73
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Attended the open day yesterday and I was able to speak with one of the admissions staff. Had an email later in the day then saying they’ll accept the maths content I’m doing now instead of a maths gcse and will accept my English literature grade c in lieu of English language. So all good
funny as I got A* in English language GCSE but a C in English lit
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades
Why did you Firm it then...?
PQ
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Congratulations
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even if you didn't say you were resitting your maths, if they give you an offer with a certain maths grade in it, they will expect you to be able to produce proof that you have achieved that grade. Many students have to resit maths, and it's expected that you make the effort to do so. I needed a grade B in GCSE maths to get onto my uni course, and I was asked to produce my certificate for that and my A Levels (even though they'd already got those results) on the first day when I arrived.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That's great news
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.65%
The paper was reasonable (394)
45.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (158)
18.35%
It was TERRIBLE (114)
13.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed