oneilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys,

I'm an IMG considering UK to undergo my PG training. Based on my research solely online it seems it's pretty difficult to get into Fy1 and quite a lengthy process. I've not been to the UK so please guide me on this, is it worth practising medicine in the uk? Will I be able to get the specialty I want or will it result in significant delay?

Ty.
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you EU or non EU?
Are you fully registered with a license to practice with the GMC or provisionally? (Presumably you’ve done PLAB if that was needed)
If you’re fully registered, then you cannot apply for F1 and must apply directly for standalone FY2 posts.
What specialty do you want to pursue? As an IMG, you’ll be subject to the Resident Labour Market Test, which means that eligible home applicants are offered places first. In certain oversubscribed specialties, it would be hard to get a training place, whereas in others it would be easier, albeit maybe not in your preferred geographical location.
As an IMG wanting to do training abroad, you need to expect it to not be completely straightforward. That’s just being realistic for anyone who wants to move to another country. Why do you want to come to the UK?
Only you can make the decision about whether it’s right for you, as different factors are important to different people.
oneilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply.

I'm an EEA citizen but I haven't done my internship yet so I will be undertaking plab 2 and get a provisional registration with a license to undergo FY1. I aim to get into Derma/ED and I know both those fields are very competitive. I'm not particular about the the location.
(Original post by junior.doctor)
Are you EU or non EU?
Are you fully registered with a license to practice with the GMC or provisionally? (Presumably you’ve done PLAB if that was needed)
If you’re fully registered, then you cannot apply for F1 and must apply directly for standalone FY2 posts.
What specialty do you want to pursue? As an IMG, you’ll be subject to the Resident Labour Market Test, which means that eligible home applicants are offered places first. In certain oversubscribed specialties, it would be hard to get a training place, whereas in others it would be easier, albeit maybe not in your preferred geographical location.
As an IMG wanting to do training abroad, you need to expect it to not be completely straightforward. That’s just being realistic for anyone who wants to move to another country. Why do you want to come to the UK?
Only you can make the decision about whether it’s right for you, as different factors are important to different people.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by oneilla)
I aim to get into Derma/ED and I know both those fields are very competitive. I'm not particular about the the location.
Derm is very competitive. ED... not so much.

Being flexible with location will help a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed