3 Mathematics A-levels or 2 Mathematics A-levels and 1 Physics A-level? Watch

monocularity
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I am looking to apply to Oxford for mathematics and I don't know what A-levels to self study.

Should I do 3 A-levels in mathematics: Mathematics, further mathematics & pure mathematics

or

should I incorporate a diverse A-level, physics, plus 2 mathematics A-levels, mathematics & further mathematics?

What would be most beneficial in my application to Oxford?

Thanks.

Edit: I think I am confused on the mathematics A-levels. Pure, further and mathematics, they are all separate A-levels, correct? Or have I gotten them confused somehow?
Last edited by monocularity; 3 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For UK A-levels, the old modular A-level Pure Mathematics no longer exists. It is only offered for retake students (I think for the last time this year). The new linear A-levels have A-level Mathematics and A-level Further Mathematics as the only A-level qualifications in maths.

So your only option is to take A-level Maths, Further Maths, and something else - be it A-level Physics or another subject. Take whatever third subject you think you'll do best in and/or find most interesting.

Spoiler:
Show

That said, applied maths (including mechanics) is a required part of the maths course at Oxford for at least the first (two?) year(s) unless you do one of the maths joint schools (e.g. maths and philosophy). However the necessary mechanics content is nominally covered in A-level Maths. There is a wider range of optional subjects in theoretical/mathematical physics offered on the course though, for which the A-level background might be useful (probably won't make much difference realistically though).

For international A-levels, "Pure Maths" is a route in A-level Maths; it's not a separate A-level. Thus, you can't take A-level Maths and Pure Maths because they are the same thing.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.6%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (103)
14.41%

Watched Threads