The Student Room Group

how long should a bulk and cut last

started my bulk this week after constant thinking about it and normal diet.

hoping to be 70kg+ by the end of june and cut before end of july.

how long should they take. is 2 months+ enough for a bulk and 3 weeks for a cut?
how long should a bulk and cut last?

Age?
Height?
Weight?
Body Type?
BF%
Training Schedule?
Cuteness?

Your starter question for 10...How long is a piece of string?

Have to hurry you.

No sorry. It's 3.47m or I would take 21ft 8in
Original post by Grizwuld
how long should a bulk and cut last?

Age?
Height?
Weight?
Body Type?
BF%
Training Schedule?
Cuteness?

Your starter question for 10...How long is a piece of string?

Have to hurry you.

No sorry. It's 3.47m or I would take 21ft 8in

Age? 16
Height? 6'0
Weight? 64kg
Body Type? lean
BF% 19.0
Training Schedule? one day for legs/arms and shoulders/back and chest

can you give me actual advice?

Yes, now we have some information to go on.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

You have not been training long enough to reach your physique potential i.e. the natural limit of your physical development. This takes some 2-3 years training 3x per week with a healthy diet and good sleep.

Muscle is muscle and fat is fat. Excess food intake is stored as fat.

The number of muscle cells or fibres is genetically determined and cannot be changed. The size of a muscle or band of fibres can. You can make a muscle bigger through exercise but you cannot increase the number of muscle cells or fibres. This is an incredibly important and fundamental concept to understand. Look at the body types of top level 100m sprinters and long distance runners.

Now your lean; in fact your stats suggest your an ectomorph and you want to be bigger. You can but your road is a long slow and hard one. The good news is you can probably achieve an impressive 6 pack.

go to https://www.youtube.com/user/computerman91 Look, listen and learn.

Do your research and differentiate between fact and fiction (opinions).

Anything else?
Reply 4
Original post by I'mComingOxford
Age? 16
Height? 6'0
Weight? 64kg
Body Type? lean
BF% 19.0
Training Schedule? one day for legs/arms and shoulders/back and chest

Don’t cut you are already not very heavy/muscular cutting would destroy gains you have already made. Wait until you reach 70-75kg before even thinking of cutting. I personally bulked from 68kg to 80kg from 15-17. I had my first cut when I was almost 18.

Yes, now we have some information to go on.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

You have not been training long enough to reach your physique potential i.e. the natural limit of your physical development. This takes some 2-3 years training 3x per week with a healthy diet and good sleep.

Muscle is muscle and fat is fat. Excess food intake is stored as fat.

The number of muscle cells or fibres is genetically determined and cannot be changed. The size of a muscle or band of fibres can. You can make a muscle bigger through exercise but you cannot increase the number of muscle cells or fibres. This is an incredibly important and fundamental concept to understand. Look at the body types of top level 100m sprinters and long distance runners.

Now your lean; in fact your stats suggest your an ectomorph and you want to be bigger. You can but your road is a long slow and hard one. The good news is you can probably achieve an impressive 6 pack.

go to https://www.youtube.com/user/computerman91 Look, listen and learn.

Do your research and differentiate between fact and fiction (opinions).

Anything else?

i have been adviced to bulk and cut, by summer i want to be lean but with more muscle mass. that will be like 6/7 months of training(started jan).

could i built a good amount of muscle by then without having t add fat/bulk?

also david laid is far from natural lol. although i have considered steroids to look like him :lol:
Original post by bob981
Don’t cut you are already not very heavy/muscular cutting would destroy gains you have already made. Wait until you reach 70-75kg before even thinking of cutting. I personally bulked from 68kg to 80kg from 15-17. I had my first cut when I was almost 18.

so i should bulk until end of this year then cut? or bulk from winter?

or just stay balanced?
Reply 7
Original post by I'mComingOxford
so i should bulk until end of this year then cut? or bulk from winter?

or just stay balanced?

Bulk until the end of the year. You will feel more satisfaction from having larger muscles than you would looking lean (you already are lean!). In my personal experience I enjoyed getting ‘bigger’ much more than trying to look leaner. However I would keep your bulk clean to avoid putting on unnecessary fat. You if your diet is clean you may even be able to build muscle and lose fat as you are only 16.
To determine how much lean muscle mass you can put on in a given period needs stats. Exactly how much have you put on since you started training? What is the size increase for major muscles; pecs, thighs and biceps?

You need a baseline so you can accurately predict potential growth. You keep detailed records don't you; weight weekly, sizes monthly?

Do not be impatient. Tennis players and Aussie rules footballers have impressive physiques but it takes time.

I am reassured you know who David Laid is. Quite a transformation. I give him the benefit of the doubt - very good genetics and lots of hard work rather than steroids.
To determine how much lean muscle mass you can put on in a given period needs stats. Exactly how much have you put on since you started training? What is the size increase for major muscles; pecs, thighs and biceps?

You need a baseline so you can accurately predict potential growth. You keep detailed records don't you; weight weekly, sizes monthly?

Do not be impatient. Tennis players and Aussie rules footballers have impressive physiques but it takes time.

I am reassured you know who David Laid is. Quite a transformation. I give him the benefit of the doubt - very good genetics and lots of hard work rather than steroids.

watch this and you'll change your mind on david laid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKiX_RmaxY

his insane pr's alone. at 17 he did 630lbs which he did in only 3 years.. bodybuilders who train for decades can barely do that.

also i dont keep records of my growth im too lazy :lol: i might when im cutting ahah

thanks for the advice
Original post by bob981
Bulk until the end of the year. You will feel more satisfaction from having larger muscles than you would looking lean (you already are lean!). In my personal experience I enjoyed getting ‘bigger’ much more than trying to look leaner. However I would keep your bulk clean to avoid putting on unnecessary fat. You if your diet is clean you may even be able to build muscle and lose fat as you are only 16.

ye, what i was looking for! i'll be around 80/85 of fat and muscle then shred slowly throughout spring :biggrin:
thanks for the advice
im going to bulk clean until june hah

Quick Reply

Latest