The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by histmphil96
Possibly a mistake, possibly a UK student who has to pay international fees due to residency

That's me -- I've just asked them to change my listed nationality to Australian. I haven't lived in the UK since 1995, and I'm counted as international for student fees. I'm sorry to push out those who had hoped to get this scholarship. I feel humbled to get it (and if anything was more expecting to be in the running for Cambridge Australia).
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
So back when I was applying, I didn't really do my research and put down my first and only choice college as the one my supervisor is at. Today the college accepted me and I was wondering, is there a way to request changing my college assignment?
Can someone please tell me about Murray Edwards College? Just got accepted at it, but know nothing about it...
Do they have good formals?
What is the accommodation like?
Ok guys so after 6 weeks from recieving an offer, I finally got allocated to a college. I applied to King's (1) and Trinity (2), but they obviously both rejected me. I got accepted into Girton College. I never heard of it, I have no idea about it.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? What's it like? Is it good? How much time would I even be spending in it, as a graduate student?
Any answer would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Original post by Andi97
Hi guys not sure if it’s the right place to ask but I have an application for postgrad still open for autumn 2020 but 2 of my assessments have been moved to late summer due to extenuating circumstances (isolation).
These two assessments are only worth 20% of a module each and if the final exams in june go ahead I should have most of my final marks decided by early july, but the late assessments mean I won’t be able to graduate before september, whereas I would have graduated in july normally.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with postgraduate programs? Will they refuse to take me? I’m really worried because I really want to do postgraduate straight after my undergraduate and I can’t afford to stay one year out, if I wait for 2021 entry at this point is really hard to find a grad job to work until then. Help please.

As aforementioned, best to contact the GAO. But, assuming you have the official transcript/grades before August you should be fine. My school has its graduation in October but we get the grades in July as well.
Hi guys how do you reckon Covid-19 is going to affect our first term? Do you think there's a chance we may have to work remotely?
Original post by tornfrayed
Does anyone know the status of ESRC home applications? For people who have been nominated ? Or are these going to be called out on a departmental basis?

haven't heard from them yet :frown:
Original post by Been.Esmar
Ok guys so after 6 weeks from recieving an offer, I finally got allocated to a college. I applied to King's (1) and Trinity (2), but they obviously both rejected me. I got accepted into Girton College. I never heard of it, I have no idea about it.
Can anyone tell me anything about it? What's it like? Is it good? How much time would I even be spending in it, as a graduate student?
Thanks.

I did my undergrad at Girton a few years back and it’s a lovely college. Can’t speak to grad life there specifically, but if you have questions about the college, I can answer those! I know people still there as well. It’s got absolutely beautiful grounds, the main college building is old and Victorian and definitely has some low key haunted house vibes, and there’s an indoor pool and newly renovated bar/café area. Food is very good I’ve been for formal in most colleges and I think it’s always been on a par or better. The main thing you’ll hear about it is that it’s far away, because it’s a little way out of Cambridge and the buses are not particularly regular. Almost everyone cycles. However, there’s also a new modern accommodation site at Swirles Court, which is served by very regular buses and is pretty nice as student accommodation goes.
Original post by GMM01
Hi guys how do you reckon Covid-19 is going to affect our first term? Do you think there's a chance we may have to work remotely?

Hello, as per the email we just received from the Vice-Chancellor:

"Prospective students

It is impossible to say what will be happening in six months. I wish to reassure anyone who has applied to Cambridge that we are thinking about our future students, too, and that we will keep you informed as and when we can."

Hope that provides some reassurance!
Thanks.

I am a prospective student of Girton as well! And I think all grad students will be living in Swirles Court - which is quite new and modern.
Original post by intj7748
So back when I was applying, I didn't really do my research and put down my first and only choice college as the one my supervisor is at. Today the college accepted me and I was wondering, is there a way to request changing my college assignment?

No.
Guys, no one knows how COVID-19 is going to affect our applications or term next year. There's soooo much uncertainty EVERYWHERE right now and no one has answers. We all need to come to terms with the fact that there are much more important things than answering these questions right now.
Hey,
I have got a condition of CGPA 8.0+ (out of 10) for Mphil economic research. Unfortunately, I will graduate with an 8.0 exact. Anyone knowing or proposing some theory of whether I would sail through the condition?! I hope that they mean 8 or 8+ instead of a strict 8+
I have heard from last year’s applicant that after I received a conditional offer and had it appeared in the self service system, there should be a ”formal offer” sent to my e-mail address. I have got my offer but never received an e-mailed ”formal offer” so far.
Does anyone have a similar issue?
I have just had an email from Gates that interviews have been cancelled and they will make their decision by reviewing paper applications...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by intj7748

Which College?
Has anyone heard anything or news about the Advanced Computer Science MPhil? I submitted my application at the end of November and my application is still "under review by department"? I'm thinking perhaps I am on some sort of reserve list?
Thanks.

Could I ask that, did you first receive information like "Rejected at King's/ Trinity" on CamSIS before, or it directly jumped into "Accepted at Girton" without any previous information?
Reply 3998
Original post by globetrotterplz
Could I ask that, did you first receive information like "Rejected at King's/ Trinity" on CamSIS before, or it directly jumped into "Accepted at Girton" without any previous information?

I had similar situation: it was "rejected by <college name>" and then "accepted at <college nam" on CamSIS without any emails. College has emailed me about a week later
Original post by globetrotterplz

I checked the self service account very regularly, and first it was just 'seeking college membership', then like 5 weeks later, it said 'Unsuccessful at King's College, seeking college membership' and then the next day, it said 'Unsuccessful at Trinity College, Seeking college membership' and then yesterday, it updated to 'Accepted at Girton College'.
The time between the rejection from King"s and the Rejection from Trinity was very short. Looks like Trinity doesn't even consider applications with it as second preference.
But even if you don't get to see it update one by one, it is safe to assume that if you got rejected by your second preference college, then you must have been rejected from your first preference college earlier, and if you were accepted into a college which you didn't apply to, then you were definitely rejected from your 2 preferred ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending