The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vivian2020
It might be different in the UK but my experience is that these things don’t matter at all. I graduated in December while having finished all my courses a year before that and having submitted my thesis in October. Someone forgot to grade my thesis and then all the slots for a defense were already taken so I had to wait a bit. In the end it didn’t matter at all! My current supervisor didn’t even comment on it haha so I don’t think you have much to worry about. Hope this is somewhat reassuring!

Original post by threeportdrift
I'm not sure how this is different to any other Masters application, unless someone takes a gap year, applications are usually made before degree grades are known. Besides which, if you applied in say Dec 20 or Jan 21 for Oct 21, chances are you might not get a conditional offer until March to May time anyway. You are effectively just doing a 2 year Masters.

Thanks, these are reassuring answers :smile:
I guess one other thing I want to ask is - by submitting my assignments in Autumn and graduating 2021 (turns out it would more like March, not January), I will be for all administrative purposes, repeating my final year of undergraduate study as an external student.
Will that make my Masters application less competitive? I've heard that Oxbridge generally treat A level students who resit an extra year unfavourably vs people who complete their A levels in 2 years. Would the same rule apply for people who repeat a year of their bachelors?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Phantom R
Thanks, these are reassuring answers :smile:
I guess one other thing I want to ask is - by submitting my assignments in Autumn and graduating 2021 (turns out it would more like March, not January), I will be for all administrative purposes, repeating my final year of undergraduate study as an external student.
Will that make my Masters application less competitive? I've heard that Oxbridge generally treat A level students who resit an extra year unfavourably vs people who complete their A levels in 2 years. Would the same rule apply for people who repeat a year of their bachelors?

I'm afraid,generally, yes. It depends on the details of the circumstances, but broadly taking longer to get the requisite grades does not augur well. You will have to explain to Cam in your application, what your extenuating circumstances were and they will take a judgement on whether that still makes you competitive.
Hey :smile:
I was adviced by the GAO to arrange for an assessment at the Language Centre of Cambridge. For this, I have emailed adtis@... one week ago but haven't got a response yet. Could you please tell me, how long you had to wait until you could finally take the test (if you also took it)? And also, what further actions were needed after the assessment and how long did the whole process take until the condition was completed? Thanks
Reply 7063
Original post by PhySicist2020
Hey :smile:
I was adviced by the GAO to arrange for an assessment at the Language Centre of Cambridge. For this, I have emailed adtis@... one week ago but haven't got a response yet. Could you please tell me, how long you had to wait until you could finally take the test (if you also took it)? And also, what further actions were needed after the assessment and how long did the whole process take until the condition was completed? Thanks

Yes. It took around a week (5 working days). You may need to have a look at this detailed answer, thank you @StartFire, https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5894950&page=208#post87805028.
Has anyone applied for Tier-4 visa from India? How much time is it taking to process the visa request?
I'm afraid,generally, yes. It depends on the details of the circumstances, but broadly taking longer to get the requisite grades does not augur well. You will have to explain to Cam in your application, what your extenuating circumstances were and they will take a judgement on whether that still makes you competitive.

Thanks for the answer.
This is a tough decision for me: if hypothetically, rushing all my assignments out now were to result in subpar work that would get me a middling 2.1, but taking the external student route would significantly improve my chances of getting a 1st, do you think it would be better or worse to take the external year?

Thanks for the answer.
This is tough decision for me: if rushing out my assignments now would lead to subpar work and a middling 2.1, while taking the external route would increase my chances of getting a 1st, which one do you think would be the better option?
Original post by Phantom R
Thanks for the answer.
This is a tough decision for me: if hypothetically, rushing all my assignments out now were to result in subpar work that would get me a middling 2.1, but taking the external student route would significantly improve my chances of getting a 1st, do you think it would be better or worse to take the external year?

Based on the information you've given, which may not be the whole story, taking an extra year might well be terminal, making a strong application with a middling 2.1 stands a chance.

The issue is the reason you are in this position - does taking longer put you in the same position as you would have been without the problems you've had, or does it confer an advantage?
Does anyone have any experience with the turnaround time from your university emailing a transcript to the bgstranscript email to the academic condition being ticked off?
Reply 7069
An offer holders group for cambridge postgrads was just created on Facebook! (search: Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Offer Holders)
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I'm a TAL student! :tongue:

Sorry for the late reply :smile:
Haha I guess I'll have to find out! Can I ask, what is the structure in terms of hours in MMLL? I.e. how many hours a week is it for lectures, seminars, supervisions on average?
Original post by snowcountry
Sorry for the late reply :smile:
Haha I guess I'll have to find out! Can I ask, what is the structure in terms of hours in MMLL? I.e. how many hours a week is it for lectures, seminars, supervisions on average?

Again it really depends on the specific course and the time of year. I had 4-5 hours of lectures a week, 4 of seminars and the odd supervision in the first term, then 4 hours of seminars and the odd supervision after Christmas.
For the condition for finance, can anyone clarify that it is only the financial undertaking form that’s required to be uploaded to complete the condition?

I ask because, though I uploaded this on the 9th, it still says ‘outstanding’, whereas the condition for the photo, which I uploaded yesterday, automatically changed to ‘completed’ straight away. There is a section in the finance condition where it shows your financial liability and it says you need to upload evidence so your balance changes from zero. But I can’t see anywhere to upload this? Could this be why my condition hasn’t been met? My college says they’ll guarantee me accom if I get my conditions completed in time so I’m particularly anxious that it’s right ASAP!

Thank you!
Original post by elephantblue
For the condition for finance, can anyone clarify that it is only the financial undertaking form that’s required to be uploaded to complete the condition?

I ask because, though I uploaded this on the 9th, it still says ‘outstanding’, whereas the condition for the photo, which I uploaded yesterday, automatically changed to ‘completed’ straight away. There is a section in the finance condition where it shows your financial liability and it says you need to upload evidence so your balance changes from zero. But I can’t see anywhere to upload this? Could this be why my condition hasn’t been met? My college says they’ll guarantee me accom if I get my conditions completed in time so I’m particularly anxious that it’s right ASAP!

Thank you!

Because the photo upload is automatically accepted. It takes 1-2 weeks for GAO to check conditions but they’re particularly slow at the moment
Original post by elephantblue

Thank you!

( + what @Federer11 said):

The GAO is currently responding slower than usual. You can see -on your self-service account- that they are processing documents uploaded on 30th July at the moment; so it will take some time for them to update yours. You can track the date regularly.

I can suggest you to send a request of deadline extension for your conditions via email if you have any concerns. You might feel less stressful about the due date and less affected from this slow processing..
Best Wishes
Thank you both for your advice!
So is it definitely only the financial declaration that needs updating to fulfil the finance condition? In which case I think I can breathe a sigh of relief if it’s just a case of it not having been reviewed yet!
Original post by mtsj
An offer holders group for cambridge postgrads was just created on Facebook! (search: Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Offer Holders)

Can’t find this. Could you post a link or something?
Apologies if this has already been answered, but what if we've very recently uploaded all of our remaining supporting documents, but they won't be reviewed in time for the deadline? So e.g. my only outstanding condition is 'finance' and I uploaded the financial undertaking form yesterday, but right now they're still reviewing documents uploaded on 30/07. Do I have to apply for a deadline extension? Or do I just wait since I've done everything on my part and I'm just waiting for them to review my documents now, and they won't withdraw my offer if it gets past 21st August and they haven't reviewed it by then?
Original post by PhysicsStudent0
Apologies if this has already been answered, but what if we've very recently uploaded all of our remaining supporting documents, but they won't be reviewed in time for the deadline? So e.g. my only outstanding condition is 'finance' and I uploaded the financial undertaking form yesterday, but right now they're still reviewing documents uploaded on 30/07. Do I have to apply for a deadline extension? Or do I just wait since I've done everything on my part and I'm just waiting for them to review my documents now, and they won't withdraw my offer if it gets past 21st August and they haven't reviewed it by then?

I've got an email with

"If you have recently posted or uploaded the correct documents to meet the conditions of your offer and there has been no update to your self-service portal this is because we receive hundreds of documents from other applicants at this time of year, so we need a little more time to process documents. Don’t worry, your offer will not be withdrawn during this waiting period, even if the documents aren’t processed by 21st August 2020."

What I dont know is what happens if the documents are not enough for the condition, e.g. the GAO wants an additional Paper or they want to know sth else from you. This will then happen after the deadline and an extension is only given in special circumstances as it seems. So this is what I am getting nervous about, so if anyone knows what happens then...?
Based on the information you've given, which may not be the whole story, taking an extra year might well be terminal, making a strong application with a middling 2.1 stands a chance.

The issue is the reason you are in this position - does taking longer put you in the same position as you would have been without the problems you've had, or does it confer an advantage?

Interesting, so getting a middling 2.1 may be better. Thanks.
The reason I'm in this position is adult-diagnosed ADHD which has taken a while to get treatment and medication. Covid-19 also led to the inaccessibility of otherwise helpful university support. Based on what I've read, I don't think Cambridge would be too sympathetic. What do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending