Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread Watch

sealguy2
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm looking through the Cambridge postgraduate course directory. There is literally very few courses that interest me - one or two at a push. I'm not sure how to put a research proposal together for a course that only slightly interests me. There is a course which I am interested in, but it's at Edinburgh university. I would prefer Cambridge for reputation reasons and closeness to home. I don't know what to do. I find it hard to write about something I have little interest in. What is the point? I wish Cambridge postgraduate courses were more interesting and diverse. Most courses require undergraduate modules and other courses a high 1st. I'm looking for a less competitive, 'generalist' course which is easy to get on. Any ideas?
Last edited by sealguy2; 5 months ago
Figaro42
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! Glad to see that this thread is becoming quite active. Even if I was first among my cohort, my current University is "so overseas" that I cannot know with certainty how will they translate to the UK grading system (I'm from Latin America), nor do I know for sure whether they amount to a first class. Nevertheless, I submitted my application to the LLM, with no college preference. Fun facts/extracurricular activities: I like to write and publish papers on political philosophy and human rights, I do a lot of volunteer work with NGO's concerned with human rights and transparency. I like to learn languages (coursing German). Also devoted in body and mind to Bach and Mozart. I can't even begin to picture what it would be like to be accepted, nor do I dare. It will be interesting to observe my response to these next few months of uncertainty
Last edited by Figaro42; 5 months ago
TheUKAmerican
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by sealguy2)
I'm looking through the Cambridge postgraduate course directory. There is literally very few courses that interest me - one or two at a push. I'm not sure how to put a research proposal together for a course that only slightly interests me. There is a course which I am interested in, but it's at Edinburgh university. I would prefer Cambridge for reputation reasons and closeness to home. I don't know what to do. I find it hard to write about something I have little interest in. What is the point? I wish Cambridge postgraduate courses were more interesting and diverse. Most courses require undergraduate modules and other courses a high 1st. I'm looking for a less competitive, 'generalist' course which is easy to get on. Any ideas?
If you’re not passionate about the subject you want to study you’re going to hate Cambridge. The 8 week terms are too packed and pressure filled for you to handle it on TOP of being expected to do research.
rb2666
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Apply to Edinburgh University then. Only reason one should apply to do a postgraduate in any university is because they are passionate about the subject and feel like they can truly contribute to it. As you said, you'll probably find it hard to write about a subject you have little interest in and I believe that said lack of interest will show in your application's proposal/sample work. With Cambridge remaining "competitive" in its postgraduate applications this is likely going to earn you a rejection from them.

Then as UKAmerican said you'll probably not enjoy your masters even if you get in. So that'll be a waste of money, resources and time in your part. I encourage you to look at other universities and hopefully you'll find a course that feels right for you
sealguy2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is it possible to apply to more than course at Cambridge and at different times?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is it possible to apply to more than course at Cambridge and at different times?
Yes and yes. However if you apply to multiple courses in a single department, chances are they will see that and they generally dislike it. It is seen not to demonstrate the commitment and focus desirable in a PG student, rather more the action of someone just hedging their bets to get into Cambridge.
Figaro42
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Yes and yes. However if you apply to multiple courses in a single department, chances are they will see that and they generally dislike it. It is seen not to demonstrate the commitment and focus desirable in a PG student, rather more the action of someone just hedging their bets to get into Cambridge.
Didn’t realise it was disliked! I did just that, one research and one taught course. Maybe I should consider withdrawing the taught one now.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Figaro42)
Didn’t realise it was disliked! I did just that, one research and one taught course. Maybe I should consider withdrawing the taught one now.
It's not universal and it perhaps only comes in to play if the applications are marginal, but they do like focus.
TheUKAmerican
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Which is why I’m applying to different departments 😆
Figaro42
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's not universal and it perhaps only comes in to play if the applications are marginal, but they do like focus.
This was quite helpful, thank you very much. I withdrew the application to the taught course, it was more of an impulsive decision and I am really excited about my research project. Hopefully I did it soon enough.
Hols1010
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
- University: Non-Tier US school, BBA with major in Finance
- Achieved Grade: First, or 3.84/ 4.00 GPA
- Prospective Course: MPhil Real Estate Finance
- Prospective College: Downing/ Pembroke
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: Graduated in 2016, been working with a Big4 in Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna (I'm German) for the past 2.5 years in Real Estate M&A

Any other applicants for the MPhil REF around?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by dreamer1998)
I was hoping someone could help me out. I really want to apply for MPhil Economics but was just wondering if there was any point of me applying if I wasn't in the top 10% of my year group?

Also, if I did end up applying, who should I ask for two references? (As far as I'm aware I would have to ask my academic adviser at my university but who else?)
The top 10% is only a ball park approximation that circumvents the fact that people come from undergrad Unis with very different grading styles, so asking about 3.4 GPA, or 85% or *** laude etc is difficult to judge. Why not have a go, it's the only way you will get an answer - though the MPhil Economics is very competitive.

For referees, ask the two academics who know your work best and you think will give you the most positive reference.
SabrinaBurton97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Current University: university of central Lancashire
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st (hopefully)
- Prospective Course:MRC DRP PhD programme
- Prospective College: I'm not sure yet
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities: I am a research assistant at the Social Interaction and Performance lab at my university
elephantblue
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi all!

I've seen a few posts about contacting a supervisor with your research proposal. Is this necessary? I had no idea this had to happen! My understanding was that I'd submit a resume, research proposal and 2 academic references. (I'm hoping to apply for Sociology MPhil)

Thanks!
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by elephantblue)
Hi all!

I've seen a few posts about contacting a supervisor with your research proposal. Is this necessary? I had no idea this had to happen! My understanding was that I'd submit a resume, research proposal and 2 academic references. (I'm hoping to apply for Sociology MPhil)

Thanks!
In general, you try to make contact with a Supervisor to see if they are interested in your thesis for a PhD (but it doesn't matter if you don't), but you don't approach a Supervisor for a taught MPhil application. Indeed, some departments specifically ask that you don't for MPhil applications.
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Has anyone that's applied moved to the department review stage yet?
sealguy2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have applied for one course. My application is 'submitted'. I have been allocated an applicant number. What happens next? Will my application move to the 'review' stage? Will I hear if I have been successful / unsuccessful or will my application hang in the 'submitted' stage for months, if I am unsuccessful?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have applied for one course. My application is 'submitted'. I have been allocated an applicant number. What happens next? Will my application move to the 'review' stage? Will I hear if I have been successful / unsuccessful or will my application hang in the 'submitted' stage for months, if I am unsuccessful?
There's no specific timeline. If you are rubbish, your rejection will follow soon. If you are awesome your offer will follow soon. If like 80 odd% of people, you might be in the top x% (where x is the course place plus drop out %), then it will sit and wait until the admissions staff are confident that you are going to make the cohort quality wise and make you an offer, or you are not going to make the cohort and they reject you. Depending how early the cohort quality shows up, and how close to either end you are, that could be any time between now and next April.
sealguy2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There's no specific timeline. If you are rubbish, your rejection will follow soon. If you are awesome your offer will follow soon. If like 80 odd% of people, you might be in the top x% (where x is the course place plus drop out %), then it will sit and wait until the admissions staff are confident that you are going to make the cohort quality wise and make you an offer, or you are not going to make the cohort and they reject you. Depending how early the cohort quality shows up, and how close to either end you are, that could be any time between now and next April.
Thanks for this information.
In the interim between being accepted/rejected, should I expect to see my application move from 'submitted' to 'in review'?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for this information.
In the interim between being accepted/rejected, should I expect to see my application move from 'submitted' to 'in review'?
To under review by department, yes. But it's not a significant move, it just means the administrator has sent it out to an academic to read. It then settles there until the cohort quality becomes clear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads