The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official Cambridge 2020 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polykarposth
Has anyone been made an offer for a Sociology MPhil?

Hi, I also applied for a Sociology MPhil and I have not received an offer yet. My application status got to move to GAO two days ago. I'm just wondering which stream you are applying for.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Is there anyone in one of the social science fields has moved to GAO without being invited to an interview?
Original post by Opo221
Hallelujah :wink: yes, please Xx

If you set up one, please let me know xx
Original post by 1998Anonymous
If you set up one, please let me know xx

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6335924
Reply 1784
Original post by MajorCora
Hi, I also applied for a Sociology MPhil and I have not received an offer yet. My application status got to move to GAO two days ago. I'm just wondering which stream you are applying for.

Hey!

I applied for the MPhil in the Sociology of Media and Culture. I've just been made an offer! Can't believe it!!
I moved to GAO 3 days ago so I assume they will get back to you by Monday-Tuesday the latest. Good luck!
Original post by nora.12
Probably not but maybe it differs from program to program perhaps? I got my conditional offer (phd) this week, without either IELTS or funding. best luck for you! (fingers crossed)

Thank you.. I hope i will get the offer. I got the recommendation letter from my potential supervisor.. But most of the funding needs offer letter. I dont know should i asked my potential supervisor why my application status still submitted?
Original post by Polykarposth
Hey!

I applied for the MPhil in the Sociology of Media and Culture. I've just been made an offer! Can't believe it!!
I moved to GAO 3 days ago so I assume they will get back to you by Monday-Tuesday the latest. Good luck!

Congratulations!
I applied for the MPhil in the political and economic sociology. Just wondering if you've got any clue about the conditions that they made for you.
Reply 1787
Original post by MajorCora
Congratulations!
I applied for the MPhil in the political and economic sociology. Just wondering if you've got any clue about the conditions that they made for you.

I have to meet the Language Requirements as well as a certain final degree grade (I have not yet graduated).
Original post by whirlwind01
Hi, I just got a Skype interview invitation for an MPhil program. I wonder if the Skype interview will be a video or audio call? Thanks!

Video
Reply 1789
Hi, I received my offer as well today but have an English language requirement that is a bit confusing.
It says either take a test or get an assessment from the University language centre.
What happens in this assessment and should I get this assessment done or just take the test?
Any suggestions?

I have lived and worked in UK for 10 years and am a British citizen now, that can only happen by meeting English language requirements.
My degrees were taught in English.
Hi everyone. Just got my conditional offer~~ quick question.

The offer says I have to get a 4.0/4.3 GPA. I’m at a top US liberal arts college and a 4.0 is very difficult to get. Is the GPA requirement always this high?Thanks!
Original post by gkj
Hi, I received my offer as well today but have an English language requirement that is a bit confusing.
It says either take a test or get an assessment from the University language centre.
What happens in this assessment and should I get this assessment done or just take the test?
Any suggestions?

I have lived and worked in UK for 10 years and am a British citizen now, that can only happen by meeting English language requirements.

Being familiar with this aspect of the application, it seems to me like they’ve made some kind of error; unless there’s something that I skipped of course. I would suggest that you call them up or email them before taking a test to be sure why they imposed this requirement on you.

Otherwise, if the rules stipulate it, you’re going to have to take either the IELTS Academic test or the Cambridge one.
Original post by Politics1998
Hi everyone. Just got my conditional offer~~ quick question.

The offer says I have to get a 4.0/4.3 GPA. I’m at a top US liberal arts college and a 4.0 is very difficult to get. Is the GPA requirement always this high?Thanks!

For politics and IR, yes, it’s insanely high. The competition there is notoriously very fierce for some reason.
Original post by Fredrik Aldwulf
For politics and IR, yes, it’s insanely high. The competition there is notoriously very fierce for some reason.

I’m genuinely nervous....what happens if you don’t meet the GPA requirement??

I do not have that kind of information I’m afraid.
Original post by gkj
Any suggestions?

The assessment by the language centre is often just a chatty phone call, they just ask you various questions about past study, future study etc to make sure you've got the vocab to negotiate the course. I suggest you contact someone, maybe the Language Centre and ask.

Same as happens at undergrad level. They make an over-offer int he expectation a large proportion of offers can't get the funding or choose to go elsewhere and a small proportion miss their grades. If they are left with spaces on the course, they they take the nearest near-miss cases. So in any case, get as close as you can and if you miss, keep your fingers crossed while they work out if there are spaces and if you are a nearest near-miss.
I was perusing the website for the department I applied to and came across a page that had the meeting dates for their degree committee and graduate studies committee. Their next meeting date listed isn't until late-February. Does this mean we shouldn't expect applications to move beyond departmental review until this committee meets? Or does anyone know if the degree committee discusses applications year round and these listed meeting dates concern existing PhD/MPhil students? Thanks!
Original post by ItIsGreen
I was perusing the website for the department I applied to and came across a page that had the meeting dates for their degree committee and graduate studies committee. Their next meeting date listed isn't until late-February. Does this mean we shouldn't expect applications to move beyond departmental review until this committee meets? Or does anyone know if the degree committee discusses applications year round and these listed meeting dates concern existing PhD/MPhil students? Thanks!

Ooh, mysterious - could I kindly ask which department? Xx
Also wish to follow up on funding - My understanding is that colleges offer certain separate funding to their own students and they all have their own application deadline / requirement (some require a separate application and some not) - while I also found some college stating they welcome students from other colleges to apply, and if you got selected, they will transfer you to their college from your original one.

May I know how often are such cases? Just curious as it can be very labour intensive to try applying for relevant scholarship opportunities in all colleges.

Quick Reply