The Student Room Group

As results - Applying to medicine

Medicine in particular - Do universities actually look at your As results?

I’m currently taking 4 subjects at As level with an intention of dropping 1 subject going forward into A-levels. I’ve been considering dropping the subject before the As exam to allow for more revision time.

I got mixed opinions on the matter from my teachers as some believe that the As qualification will benefit my application for medicine, but others stated that As results will not be accounted for as not everyone in the country will sit the exam.

What have your experiences been like?
Having an AS is definitely better than having none because it shows that you are good with dealing with workload. But at the end of the day, your A2 predictions, personal satement and entrance exam results will be most important in a medicine application.
If you do AS levels, then unis will look at the grades you've achieved as part of your academic profile. Poor grades will count against you and may limit the predictions you receive next year. A good fourth AS may benefit your application, but as many people don't get the chance to do AS levels (and certainly not 4 anymore) it will probably hold less weight and just be a "nice to have". A poor fourth AS with 3 other good AS grades won't harm your application as much, but would still be a negative.

If you think taking the fourth AS will lead to lower grades, then IMO it would be best to drop it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending