Is this even on the A-level biology specification?

Watch
medicinemaniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently revising for biology (yr 13 exams) and I'm going over cardiovascular diseases, I've just checked the specification and the videos on snaprevise and there is NOTHING on Atheroma, Aneurysm and Thrombosis formations...
is this stuff I'm not supposed to know and have unnecessarily learnt? It's in the CGP textbook too so i'm very confused.

edit: exam board is AQA
Last edited by medicinemaniac; 1 year ago
TheTennisOne
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're going into medicine its probably worth learning anyway since they will teach it again there.

What exam board is this?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You need to state the exam board as the specs vary.

Does your revision guide match your exam board?
medicinemaniac
Rep:
?
it's AQA, I'll edit that in the original post and yeah, it does but im just confused as to why theres no mention of it in the spec
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
You need to state the exam board as the specs vary.

Does your revision guide match your exam board?
bubblyjubblyg
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As it is a textbook, it sometimes give extra information so in this case it just talks about couple of diseases. Always remember, go by the spec at all times but sometimes it can be beneficial learning extra information
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The spec says:

"analyse and interpret data associated with specific risk factors and the incidence of cardiovascular disease
•evaluate conflicting evidence associated with risk factors affecting cardiovascular disease"

It doesn't name any specific diseases, but it's likely the revision guide has picked some examples based on what has come up in the past. Knowing some examples will probably help during the exam, even if the actual exam question focuses on a different problem.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The CGP textbooks are not endorsed by the awarding body themselves. All the CGP authors do is align the content of the book with the specification, but that does not stop them from adding in extra content that isn't in the specufucation, but is just there to increase your knowledge. I believe a similar issue arised with our CGP chemistry textbooks a few months ago.
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 year ago
medicinemaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
The spec says:

"analyse and interpret data associated with specific risk factors and the incidence of cardiovascular disease
•evaluate conflicting evidence associated with risk factors affecting cardiovascular disease"

It doesn't name any specific diseases, but it's likely the revision guide has picked some examples based on what has come up in the past. Knowing some examples will probably help during the exam, even if the actual exam question focuses on a different problem.

Hope this helps a bit.
yes it does, greatly appreciate it, thank you
(Original post by Tolgarda)
The CGP textbooks are not endorsed by the awarding body themselves. All the CGP authors do is align the content of the book with the specification, but that does not stop them from adding in extra content that isn't in the specufucation, but is just there to increase your knowledge. I believe a similar issue arised with our CGP chemistry textbooks a few months ago.
that's a very good point, thank you
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by medicinemaniac)
yes it does, greatly appreciate it, thank you
No worries- good luck with your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads