Higher choices help Watch

sophie175
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I want to study languages, primarily Spanish, in the future but I’m not entirely sure what I would like to do within this. Currently I have chosen to study Spanish, French, English, Maths and Drama next year but I have decided I don’t want to do drama.
I have four options of what I could take instead; history (which i haven’t taken since s3), physics (which i’m currently sitting at nat 5), chemistry (which i haven’t taken since s3) or modern studies (which i haven’t studied since s1 but i’m thinking about pursuing law.
I have spoken to the chemistry teachers and they have said they’re happy for me to crash higher chemistry however i’m not sure if this would be too much work. what’s your thoughts?
fucthesqa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you are sure you want to do law pick modern studies definitely. Even if you aren't sure it's still a safe bet.

A science is always good though so if you aren't too sure then pick physics or chemistry whatever one you enjoy the most.
AthenaRose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Many people believe modern studies is the best for law but if you are thinking of applying to English universities for Law do history as some prefer history or even require it yet in England they have no such thing as modern studies so class it as a “soft” subject even though it isn’t
Quick-use
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by sophie175)
I want to study languages, primarily Spanish, in the future but I’m not entirely sure what I would like to do within this. Currently I have chosen to study Spanish, French, English, Maths and Drama next year but I have decided I don’t want to do drama.
I have four options of what I could take instead; history (which i haven’t taken since s3), physics (which i’m currently sitting at nat 5), chemistry (which i haven’t taken since s3) or modern studies (which i haven’t studied since s1 but i’m thinking about pursuing law.
I have spoken to the chemistry teachers and they have said they’re happy for me to crash higher chemistry however i’m not sure if this would be too much work. what’s your thoughts?
In S5 I did: Higher English, Higher History, Higher French, Higher Spanish and crash Higher Human Bio.
In S6 I did: AH English, AH History, AH Spanish and I self-learned Higher Modern Studies and Higher RMPS.

Out of everything you've mentioned, I'd highly recommend History (or, if your school offers it - Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies). Higher History is extremely interesting and once you know the information and the exam technique, getting a B or an A is more than doable.

Also, when you study languages at university you will inevitably study the history or politics of the country whose language/s you're studying, so knowledge and skill in history will take you a long way.

If your school offers RMPS, I would honestly recommend considering that as well. It's extremely interesting and, if I'm being completely honest, it really is an easy B or A. In History, you might have to work a little bit to get an A, but with RMPS it's almost a given.

I crashed Higher Human Bio in S5 and I really wish I hadn't - I didn't have any of the background knowledge and it just seemed like too much. With that said, don't take Higher Chemistry - it'd be an uphill battle and it'll just make it harder for you to get the grades that you need for university.

Regarding Higher Modern Studies, I'd recommend doing it over Chemistry but definitely not above History or RMPS. You basically have to memorise countless amounts of information and just regurgitate it during an exam. The exam itself is very linear and you won't have a choice of essays - so, you really have to learn everything off-by-heart to make sure that the 1 essay question that comes up is something you've prepared for. Also, I didn't really find the information of the course that interesting or useful outside of the course.

Since you're studying languages, take a look at this thread that I made a few years back: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2617254
Make sure to download the documents that I've attached onto the thread. Those will help you get great marks for your speaking and writing assessments!
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads