The Student Room Group

GCSE Revision journey to all 9s

Scroll to see replies

Good luck
Thank you for the tips! I'll definitely keep the cohesive essay structure in mind! :smile:
Original post by ns_2
Thanks. :smile:

I did LOTF and Power and Conflict as well (did Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde for the others). Personally, I didn't make any "essay plans" or answer exam questions beyond the classroom. I personally felt that doing essay plans and practice questions meant that in the exam you would be spending more time trying to remember what you had written than actually writing a good, strong essay.

This is a bit controversial but just learn your quotes, and more importantly the story behind it. Formats such as PEE or PEEL or PETIEC are too prescriptive. Treat English Literature as a conversation, almost a debate - if it flows well, and is cohesive, it is easier to get higher marks.

For the poetry, pray. Honestly, make sure you know most poems really well - but prepare for the worst...for me, I did a brief summary of Tissue vis-a-vis Ozymandias, so when it came to the real exam I knew what to do.

Both English Lit and Lang were my weakest subjects - I genuinely went up to my Head of Sixth Form and questioned what would happen if I failed either. In reality, they were my best performing subjects in terms of raw marks.

So, finally, I would say just have faith in yourself; it may be hard; you may worry and question whether you are ready; you will come out of the exam and say to yourself that you have failed - but just have faith in yourself.
Thank you so much :h:
Original post by D_1432
Ah thank you!! this is really helpful. I found this website for R&J it might be of some use?

https://bbaenglish.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/romeo-and-juliet-past-paper-questions/
Reply 63
Original post by Tolgarda

Also, what were your raw marks? You're one of the few students that I know that bothered to know theirs lol.

Congratulations being one of the 732, quite the feat.

The essay structures make them sound repetitive and monotonous, and focusing on ticking off each element of the structure takes valuable thinking/writing time.

My school provided raw marks to all automatically.

English Lang: 141/160
English Lit: 158/160
Hi all quick update:

Completed questions on Edward for history
Completed (controversial XD) essay plans for English

To do:

French revision for speaking
Original post by ns_2
The essay structures make them sound repetitive and monotonous, and focusing on ticking off each element of the structure takes valuable thinking/writing time.

holy holy they are very impressive o:
how do i prepare myself for the creative writing in section b for eng lang aqa? any tips?
Original post by D_1432
Hi all quick update:

Completed questions on Edward for history
Completed (controversial XD) essay plans for English

To do:

French revision for speaking

any tips for maths? i keep getting 7s in every single past paper but i want an 8/9
Original post by Kroznox
good luck with chemistry! What's your favourite topic? Mine's organic chemistry because it's quite straightforward except naming the bloody isomers, I just can't do that section of it xD. Anyways, I'm doing a French essay and practically dying. I hope you get all 9s!

Hardwork + Determination is the key to all 9s
Identify which topics you lose marks on and work on those - an 8/9 is perfectly achievable!
Original post by sqrt of 5
any tips for maths? i keep getting 7s in every single past paper but i want an 8/9
wow!! how dd you revise for english language??? and the very very best of luck for gases I'm sure you will do amazingly :smile:
Original post by ns_2

That's a pretty good school you've got there. I had to pursue my teachers for most of my marks. I felt that they were equally as important as the grade.

My marks weren't too far off yours: 154/160 in English literature and 155/160 in English language.

What were the raw marks like for your other subjects? Mine were quite subpar, to say the least (they're on my profile).
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey! I have mocks starting on the 29th and I was wondering if you could tell me how you revise individually for each subject? Also good luck! :smile:
Hi - good luck with your mocks!

Here's how I revise each subject

Maths - past papers (I used to use HegartyMaths to make sure I understood all the content)
English lit - Mr Bruff and Mr Salles on youtube, essay plans
Sciences - cgp guides and past papers
French - mainly class notes and I also use quizlet to practise speaking questions
History - answering questions, looking through Schemes of Work, reading exemplar essays
Geography - cgp guides and past paper questions

I hope this has been useful!
Original post by lucytalks0
Hey! I have mocks starting on the 29th and I was wondering if you could tell me how you revise individually for each subject? Also good luck! :smile:
Original post by Tolgarda
Finally! It's been a while since I have found someone that doesn't use those ridiculous essay structures. It's almost lamentable how many people haven't seen 'the light' (in my opinon, anyway). I hated using that sh*t.

Also, what were your raw marks? You're one of the few students that I know that bothered to know theirs lol.

Congratulations being one of the 732, quite the feat.

Quoting an examiner report:

The use of structures such as PEE / PEA and its variants worked in the sense that they allowed students working at the lower levels to access Level 3 in the mark scheme. However less rigid structures worked better for those working at higher levels.
everyone keeps mentioning hegartymaths but how do i register if my school hasn't registered already????
Original post by D_1432
Hi - good luck with your mocks!

Here's how I revise each subject

Maths - past papers (I used to use HegartyMaths to make sure I understood all the content)
English lit - Mr Bruff and Mr Salles on youtube, essay plans
Sciences - cgp guides and past papers
French - mainly class notes and I also use quizlet to practise speaking questions
History - answering questions, looking through Schemes of Work, reading exemplar essays
Geography - cgp guides and past paper questions

I hope this has been useful!
Original post by _gcx
Quoting an examiner report:

The use of structures such as PEE / PEA and its variants worked in the sense that they allowed students working at the lower levels to access Level 3 in the mark scheme. However less rigid structures worked better for those working at higher levels.

I've seen similar comments in the past. It's no wonder that most of the students that I have met with such high raw marks in the English subjects do not employ these essay structures.
you want to get all 9 grades but for what?
How are you guys planning to revise today? (It's 1:14pm for me, so I'm kinda late).

-Write notes and tips for all possible topics in Paper 6 and how to maximise my score (hopefully a 37/40)
-Practice 2 Paper 6 Biology papers (reeee 2 hours of my life are going to vanish)
-Search for reliable History Notes for Unit 1, and read through those. To plan a suitable structure for 4 and 6 markers.
-Flip through my History Textbook to consolidate my understanding and to list down useful facts for Unit 1
-Complete a Paper 2 for Math and watch a video on circle theorems and completing the square (reee)
- If there's enough time... review Unit 1 and 2 of Chemistry on the syllabus and PMT.
-SLEEP AND PROCRASTINATE :smile::smile::smile: (and pray for low grade boundaries ofc)
(edited 5 years ago)
I don't think you can then - sorry :/ but Mr Hegarty does have some really useful videos on youtube

Original post by angrybear247
everyone keeps mentioning hegartymaths but how do i register if my school hasn't registered already????
In all honesty, it doesn't really matter whether or not I get all 9s. I know plenty of adults who haven't even completed their GCSEs and who have gone on to do amazing things. And exams really aren't the be-all-and-end-all. But I have had a really hellish time over the last two years and I want to prove to myself that actually, the things I want to achieve are possible and that the things I have gone through shouldn't hold me down. Everyone has their own targets and I don't think there's anything wrong with aiming high.
Original post by ollie1520
you want to get all 9 grades but for what?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending