Laraaaa6
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need MAJOR help please.
All we have done are chapter summaries?
I do not know what to analyse or anything?
what do we need to do in Rebecca?
Anything would help, example essays? outline of whats needed? or even how to revise it would be sooo helpful!
Delilah23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry I can’t help but I’m interested in finding out what Rebecca is ? What subject is this to do with ?
Laraaaa6
Rep:
?
Its an English lit subject.
There's a movie on it, and its a novel too
It does have a very good storyline, just very difficult to revise...
(Original post by Delilah23)
Sorry I can’t help but I’m interested in finding out what Rebecca is ? What subject is this to do with ?
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,

First of all, have you read the book? (This may seem like a stupid question, but I know plenty of people who try to write essays/exam papers without having read the set text, so it's an important starting point.) If not, read the book. At least once, preferably more than that.

If you have read the book, I would suggest you do mindmaps/notes/flashcards on the different characters - their backgrounds, their key moments in the story, their motivations, how they are described - including some useful quotes.

After that, look at the structure of the book as a whole - what events are paralleled/foreshadowed? How does the book draw you in/make you sympathise with the narrator/keep up the suspense?

Then look at historical/social/authorial/literary context - e.g. Rebecca is often compared to Jane Eyre.

Have you done any practice papers? Or written any analysis of the book at all? If not, start by writing two or three paragraphs on each of the following questions:

- How is Rebecca portrayed a stronger character than the narrator?
- How does Du Maurier create the Gothic atmosphere in Rebecca?
- How does Mrs Danvers drive the plot of the book?

In terms of structure, always go with PEA - Point, Evidence, Analysis:

Point: state the point you're making about the text - Rebecca is portrayed as cruel and domineering.

Evidence: the quote from the text on which you are basing that point - “I can see her now, hair flying out behind her, slashing at him, drawing blood, digging the spurs into his side, and when she got off his back, he was trembling all over, full of froth and blood”

Analysis: explain exactly what it is about the quote which supports the point you made - The violence of the imagery as Mrs Danvers describes Rebecca breaking in the horse is so vivid as to leave no doubt in the reader's mind that Rebecca was entirely without empathy. The contrast of Rebecca's wild spirit "hair flying out behind her" and the broken horse "trembling all over", emphasises the extent to which Rebecca enforced her will onto those around her.

(Original post by Laraaaa6)
I need MAJOR help please.
All we have done are chapter summaries?
I do not know what to analyse or anything?
what do we need to do in Rebecca?
Anything would help, example essays? outline of whats needed? or even how to revise it would be sooo helpful!
dietpepsicolamax
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm a bit stuck for that part of the paper too!

I've been researching themes in the book and finding quotes for that theme and putting them into a table (so one column is just the name of the theme & maybe a definition; the next column is the quotes from Rebecca & analysis; the last column is quotes from the anthology & how they compare)

I hope this helps, please let me know how you're revising & if you find any good resources!
Laraaaa6
Rep:
?
Thats how we have been told to revise too.
but i feel i lack knowledge on the symbolism's, motifs or any deep analysis etc. like i have no interesting bits of information in Rebecca to discuss.
So for the moment, ive just been doing essay practice.
likewise.
(Original post by dietpepsicolamax)
I'm a bit stuck for that part of the paper too!

I've been researching themes in the book and finding quotes for that theme and putting them into a table (so one column is just the name of the theme & maybe a definition; the next column is the quotes from Rebecca & analysis; the last column is quotes from the anthology & how they compare)

I hope this helps, please let me know how you're revising & if you find any good resources!
Laraaaa6
Rep:
?
Thanyou, really appreciate the help.
yes haha i have read the book.
They're some nice ideas
and for the moment, we've fallen behind as a class, so we haven't focused on any analysis sadly; which is why i'm most worried as i know the story really well.
(Original post by Plumstone)
Hello,

First of all, have you read the book? (This may seem like a stupid question, but I know plenty of people who try to write essays/exam papers without having read the set text, so it's an important starting point.) If not, read the book. At least once, preferably more than that.

If you have read the book, I would suggest you do mindmaps/notes/flashcards on the different characters - their backgrounds, their key moments in the story, their motivations, how they are described - including some useful quotes.

After that, look at the structure of the book as a whole - what events are paralleled/foreshadowed? How does the book draw you in/make you sympathise with the narrator/keep up the suspense?

Then look at historical/social/authorial/literary context - e.g. Rebecca is often compared to Jane Eyre.

Have you done any practice papers? Or written any analysis of the book at all? If not, start by writing two or three paragraphs on each of the following questions:

- How is Rebecca portrayed a stronger character than the narrator?
- How does Du Maurier create the Gothic atmosphere in Rebecca?
- How does Mrs Danvers drive the plot of the book?

In terms of structure, always go with PEA - Point, Evidence, Analysis:

Point: state the point you're making about the text - Rebecca is portrayed as cruel and domineering.

Evidence: the quote from the text on which you are basing that point - “I can see her now, hair flying out behind her, slashing at him, drawing blood, digging the spurs into his side, and when she got off his back, he was trembling all over, full of froth and blood”

Analysis: explain exactly what it is about the quote which supports the point you made - The violence of the imagery as Mrs Danvers describes Rebecca breaking in the horse is so vivid as to leave no doubt in the reader's mind that Rebecca was entirely without empathy. The contrast of Rebecca's wild spirit "hair flying out behind her" and the broken horse "trembling all over", emphasises the extent to which Rebecca enforced her will onto those around her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (402)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.62%

Watched Threads