Mathematical Foundations of Quantitative Finance Watch

silva101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I really need help. I want to study an MSc in Finance but my maths has never been that good. I have got a 2:1 in business accounting but this is a new level of maths and would be grateful for some guidance and I know this question is a silly one but I have to ask.

What books of resources can I use to study these topics and what part of maths do they each fall into so that I can get the right book to study?

-Sets and functions (sets, functions, relations)

-Convergence (sequences of numbers, sequences of functions, uniform convergence, pointwise convergence)

-Calculus (continuity, uniform continuity, derivatives and partial derivatives, Taylor expansion, differential equations, integration)

-Probability (finite sample spaces, probability on [0,1], conditional probability, independence, random variables, probability distribution, expectation and variance, covariance, densities)
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by silva101)
Hi guys, I really need help. I want to study an MSc in Finance but my maths has never been that good. I have got a 2:1 in business accounting but this is a new level of maths and would be grateful for some guidance and I know this question is a silly one but I have to ask.

What books of resources can I use to study these topics and what part of maths do they each fall into so that I can get the right book to study?

-Sets and functions (sets, functions, relations)

-Convergence (sequences of numbers, sequences of functions, uniform convergence, pointwise convergence)

-Calculus (continuity, uniform continuity, derivatives and partial derivatives, Taylor expansion, differential equations, integration)

-Probability (finite sample spaces, probability on [0,1], conditional probability, independence, random variables, probability distribution, expectation and variance, covariance, densities)
It would help to link to the syllabus. It's a bit hard to know how much they're just after a "working knowledge", or if they're after proper understanding of the underpinnings. (In general it looks like they just want "working knowledge", but the discussion of convergence and continuity somewhat implies they want more).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (127)
19.51%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (62)
9.52%
No I am happy with my course choice (368)
56.53%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.44%

Watched Threads