The Student Room Group

Non-Shakespeare plays that would be a good comparison to King Lear?

The only reason why I specify non-Shakespeare is because (tell me if I’m wrong) I feel that if I choose another Shakespearean tragedy for example, it would be a bit too predictable and unoriginal - in spite of the many points you can make.

Just a heads up that I’m referring to the Edexcel A-Level English Literature coursework component.
You could compare it with a Greek tragedy (e.g. Medea, perhaps) to discuss formal structures of Greek tragedy and how Shakespeare has used or possibly subverted them (?).

Alternately you could compare it with a modern play like Streetcar or Glengarry Glenn Ross and compare/contrast how the titular characters have similar or different routes "through" the tragic format (probably would work quite well with Blanche in Streetcar wrt to e.g. mental illness, being taken advantage of others etc).
Thank you very much for your advice - it is much appreciated however both texts have to be originally written in the English language so that rules out Medea. Also one of my set texts is Streetcar so can't do that obviously. I'll have a look at Glengarry Glenn Ross as I'm nt particularly aware of the play so thanks.

Would it not be out of the question if I did Volpone? I know, very different plays in a lot of ways but they both deal with the idea of inheritance/succession. They belong to the same era of theatre so it would perhaps be interesting to explore how they differ, despite the same social context.
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You could compare it with a Greek tragedy (e.g. Medea, perhaps) to discuss formal structures of Greek tragedy and how Shakespeare has used or possibly subverted them (?).

Alternately you could compare it with a modern play like Streetcar or Glengarry Glenn Ross and compare/contrast how the titular characters have similar or different routes "through" the tragic format (probably would work quite well with Blanche in Streetcar wrt to e.g. mental illness, being taken advantage of others etc).
If you want a contemporary-ish play, you do The Jew of Malta - themes of a father's destructive anger towards the daughter who he sees as betraying him?
Original post by anonymous_1947
Would it not be out of the question if I did Volpone? I know, very different plays in a lot of ways but they both deal with the idea of inheritance/succession. They belong to the same era of theatre so it would perhaps be interesting to explore how they differ, despite the same social context.
(Original post by artful_lounger)

I don't know anything about that play, unfortunately :/ from what you've said it certainly sounds like you have some solid ground to start on with it, so if you're familiar with it and interested in that play, go for it!
You could consider Phaedra by Racine. It was originally written in French but here's a translation: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1977/1977-h/1977-h.htm
Thanks! I'll check the play out - seems like quite a pertinent link.
Original post by Plumstone
If you want a contemporary-ish play, you do The Jew of Malta - themes of a father's destructive anger towards the daughter who he sees as betraying him?
Unfortunately has to be originally written in the English-language - suppose it helps with the whole language analaysis malarkey. Though I am very interested in French Literature as I currently take the language as an A-level. Merci quand-meme!
Original post by Quick-use
You could consider Phaedra by Racine. It was originally written in French but here's a translation: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1977/1977-h/1977-h.htm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending