Runswick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My daughter is struggling to choose between studying English Literature or Business for A Level. Her other choices are Art and Design and Classical Civilisation. She is a diligent pupil and is predicted a 7 in English Language and literature at GCSE and a 6 in maths which she finds much harder. She hasn't studied Business at GCSE. The sixth form talk on English Lit intimidated her a little as she felt she wasn't as passionate about it as they seemed to want you to be and isn't overly bothered about the theatre although she does love to read.

She's not sure what she wants to do at uni but wondered about getting into HR so thought perhaps a business management degree. Would this be easier for her having done Business A Level? Not necessarily getting onto a uni course as English lit is a strong subject but I worry if she'd be discouraged doing a Business Management degree if she felt ' on the back foot' not having previously studied it (she sometimes struggles with a lack of confidence in herself).

How difficult is the maths in a Business A Level (it's the Pearson Edexcel exam board)?

Any advice on either subject or a comparison of the 2 would be appreciated.
username3973192
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Runswick)
My daughter is struggling to choose between studying English Literature or Business for A Level. Her other choices are Art and Design and Classical Civilisation. She is a diligent pupil and is predicted a 7 in English Language and literature at GCSE and a 6 in maths which she finds much harder. She hasn't studied Business at GCSE. The sixth form talk on English Lit intimidated her a little as she felt she wasn't as passionate about it as they seemed to want you to be and isn't overly bothered about the theatre although she does love to read.

She's not sure what she wants to do at uni but wondered about getting into HR so thought perhaps a business management degree. Would this be easier for her having done Business A Level? Not necessarily getting onto a uni course as English lit is a strong subject but I worry if she'd be discouraged doing a Business Management degree if she felt ' on the back foot' not having previously studied it (she sometimes struggles with a lack of confidence in herself).

How difficult is the maths in a Business A Level (it's the Pearson Edexcel exam board)?

I would strongly advise that she take English Lit as currently none of her options are facilitating subjects, and it's good to have at least one of these.

I don't think there would be any issue in picking up the business management degree as I personally know a few people who didn't study business at A-level and are doing perfectly well in their business degrees.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

You don't need Business A level to do a Business studies degree and I agree with thestudent33 that Unis would prefer English Lit. You don't really need to be "passionate" about English Lit to study it, you just need to be good at it, like reading and be good at writing essays. Since she is already doing one subject that many unis will regard as soft (Art and Design) I think it would be risky for her to choose a second that is sometimes considered that way. So if she wants to choose Business, she should swap it with Art instead
LOLA141
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
You don't need Business A level to do a Business studies degree and I agree with thestudent33 that Unis would prefer English Lit. You don't really need to be "passionate" about English Lit to study it, you just need to be good at it, like reading and be good at writing essays. Since she is already doing one subject that many unis will regard as soft (Art and Design) I think it would be risky for her to choose a second that is sometimes considered that way. So if she wants to choose Business, she should swap it with Art instead
I agree I took English Lit because it was a facilitating subject but I also take Business and I'm hoping to do Business management at Uni. However, I regret taking English because I only took it in accordance with getting a 7 in both language and lit... and the fact that it's a facilitating subject. Personally, I think I'm struggling because I don't enjoy the books we're studying and my essay writing skills are really bad, I've been getting C' and D's during the two-year course. I would really encourage your daughter to choose what she enjoys, in terms of maths, personally, I don't think it's hard at all but I am with AQA and I also got a 6 in maths, so she is more than capable of grasping the maths side to it, also there's plenty of free resources and youtube channels that explain business. Good luck
Ejenkins1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I took both English Literature and Business Studies at A level and I must admit both subjects are heavy on content in addition to extensive reading into the subjects I.e. English literature demands the candidate to have a good grasp of history in literature such as the influences on John Donne and Shakespeare. A level English literature is enormously facilitating and academically respected at universities. I believe this to have aided me in receiving offers from universities such as kings collage London and the university of Bath. I would only take English literature if it will compliment the course at university or even aid the current subjects being taken at a level in terms of attractiveness to universities.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (298)
60.45%
Yes- I don't like it (24)
4.87%