Feel like a failure if I don't get 9s Watch

flynn02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just want to preface this by saying I'm not trying to do a "humbl brag" or show off - I'm not trying to speak down on people so sorry if it comes across like that.

I feel like a failure if I don't get 9s. Maybe it's due to teachers telling me throughout school I'm gonna get top grads, or maybe it's my own personal pressur, but I constantly feel like I need 9s or I've failed. It's ridiculous - I know that it's completely illogical - I only need 5s for my sixth form, and 7s and 8s are amazing grades, but I still can't shake this feeling. I have this overwhelming fear that if I get 6s or 7s or even 8s my parents, teachers, classmates,and myself will be disappointed.

Does anyone else feel like this? Who else struggles with having this "smart" or "nerd" label and feels like a failure?
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same. Honestly my parents have lower expectationa for me than I do.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
redmeercat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand completely... WevWe been brought up in a school system where it is more than possible to get all A*s so now it feels like we're not doing well if we get anything less than all 9s. I honestly thought hat I'd feel the same on results day but when it came to it I was so panicked about even passing, I (having had 2 months to convince myself that I'd failed everything) found that I was actually really happy with my results. I didn't get all 9s, though I did get some, and I also got a 6 in PE. But at the end of the day, remember that once you're in sixth form your GCSE grades will rarely come up and although unis will know about them, they are not the be all and end all. So really, although I know they feel like the most important thing now, as long as you get a high average (my school puts anyone with an average of a 7 into that category) it makes little difference what the specifics are. I can't really help how you feel internally, I know it doesn't really help to say that you should just be proud of how hard you've worked, but it is the truth!

Good luck, I'm sure exams will go really well. But even if you don't think that they do, remember that I thought I'd failed science and got my highest scores in it
flynn02
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Tamimur)
Same. Honestly my parents have lower expectationa for me than I do.
Same, my parents wouldn't care, but I do, which is even more annoying because it's like what's the point of stressing lmao

(Original post by redmeercat)
I understand completely... WevWe been brought up in a school system where it is more than possible to get all A*s so now it feels like we're not doing well if we get anything less than all 9s. I honestly thought hat I'd feel the same on results day but when it came to it I was so panicked about even passing, I (having had 2 months to convince myself that I'd failed everything) found that I was actually really happy with my results. I didn't get all 9s, though I did get some, and I also got a 6 in PE. But at the end of the day, remember that once you're in sixth form your GCSE grades will rarely come up and although unis will know about them, they are not the be all and end all. So really, although I know they feel like the most important thing now, as long as you get a high average (my school puts anyone with an average of a 7 into that category) it makes little difference what the specifics are. I can't really help how you feel internally, I know it doesn't really help to say that you should just be proud of how hard you've worked, but it is the truth!

Good luck, I'm sure exams will go really well. But even if you don't think that they do, remember that I thought I'd failed science and got my highest scores in it
Thanks a lot hopefully in August I'm feeling the same way!!
_gcx
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by flynn02)
I just want to preface this by saying I'm not trying to do a "humbl brag" or show off - I'm not trying to speak down on people so sorry if it comes across like that.

I feel like a failure if I don't get 9s. Maybe it's due to teachers telling me throughout school I'm gonna get top grads, or maybe it's my own personal pressur, but I constantly feel like I need 9s or I've failed. It's ridiculous - I know that it's completely illogical - I only need 5s for my sixth form, and 7s and 8s are amazing grades, but I still can't shake this feeling. I have this overwhelming fear that if I get 6s or 7s or even 8s my parents, teachers, classmates,and myself will be disappointed.

Does anyone else feel like this? Who else struggles with having this "smart" or "nerd" label and feels like a failure?
It is completely fine to have high expectations of yourself. You are, however, probably your own harshest critic. "Even" if you don't get all 9s, a mix of 7s/8s is still very respectable and closes no doors while opening many. I myself am guilty of this but you shouldn't let this effect your mindset during the exam, because it could cause you to slip below your goal and get a mark you're disappointed with.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

This is easy to solve. The only reason you are thinking this is because you have been told you can get this, the only reason these people are telling you that you can get these results is because they think you can get into a good uni (with good A levels). You don't need all 9s to get into a good university, 8s will be absolutely fine to get into top universities.
toby4413
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Gcse and alevel area jokes
StarbucksLife14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, so whilst my GCSEs weren't on the number system (Wales still uses letters to grade) I felt your struggle last year. If there's any piece of advice I'd give is to focus on your mental health because you can't get that back easy. I know what it's like to open results on results day and getting grades that other people had pressured me into achieving and only feeling relief. That is not how I would want anyone to live. Look after yourself, screw other people's opinions because if you suddenly became the last person on earth then you'd be left with stuff you didn't even want in the first place.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
heckinbamboozled
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have the exact same problem. The thing is I know I am capable of getting these grades but my ability to procrastinate (which is quite astounding) is getting in the way. My school is highly academic so I want these ridiculously high grades just to remain at least average within my school smh

heckinbamboozled
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have the exact same problem. The thing is I know I am capable of getting these grades but my ability to procrastinate (which is quite astounding) is getting in the way. My school is highly academic so I want these ridiculously high grades just to try and remain at least average within my school year group, smh Moreover I have this feeling that if I get anything less than the highest grade possible, I could be closing doors for myself which terrifies me! But I do overthink things a lot which I am working on

Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My parents gave up on me after I got BCD, and now they're ecstatic I managed to get a graduate scheme because they had no hope for me. Funny how times change.
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay, feel like a failure if you don't get 9s then. Nobody else is going to feel like a failure for you. Barring your parents and some teachers, the only person who will care about your feelings on results day is yourself.

Personally, this is too ridiculous for me to take seriously.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads