Would I be able to get a low-level chemistry job with a few weeks of work experience? Watch

Mixedraceguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm gonna be doing some work experience helping out lab technicians at a university in June and I should have work experience at a decorating laboratory over the summer just shadowing though could this lead to a low level chemistry job straight after completing my work experience I was thinking a lab technician or something
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
*bump*
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
*bump*
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Do you have any qualifications? It may be possible to get a low level technician job without specific qualifications, but they are usually preferred. It will probably depend on your area and how much competition there is for jobs.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Do you have any qualifications? It may be possible to get a low level technician job without specific qualifications, but they are usually preferred. It will probably depend on your area and how much competition there is for jobs.
Im in Leicestershire and I'm self teaching A level Maths, Chemistry and Accounting f
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mixedraceguy)
Im in Leicestershire and I'm self teaching A level Maths, Chemistry and Accounting f
It may be that low level lab jobs are after more practical skills/ qualifications, for example there are NVQs and apprenticeships designed for lab techs.

Why don't you ask, whilst you're on work experience? I'm sure the people you work with will be happy to give you an insight.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm pretty sure even low-level Chemistry jobs require some kind of formal qualification so doing A Levels is a good start. If you're not interested in going to university you could always do a more vocational qualification such as an NVQ in Laboratory Sciences or Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities. Be aware though that competition may be high and candidates with higher education will be prioritised, providing they have a decent amount of experience.

This should help: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...ory-technician
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I'm pretty sure even low-level Chemistry jobs require some kind of formal qualification so doing A Levels is a good start. If you're not interested in going to university you could always do a more vocational qualification such as an NVQ in Laboratory Sciences or Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities. Be aware though that competition may be high and candidates with higher education will be prioritised, providing they have a decent amount of experience.

This should help: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...ory-technician
I'm applying to do Chemistry at uni in September I was thinking of something part time as wouldn't have time for a full time apprenticeship so I can fund my exams and have a bit to live off as my parents are on benifits and are struggling to rack out the money to pay for my exams, practical lessons etc
Last edited by Mixedraceguy; 6 days ago
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It may be that low level lab jobs are after more practical skills/ qualifications, for example there are NVQs and apprenticeships designed for lab techs.

Why don't you ask, whilst you're on work experience? I'm sure the people you work with will be happy to give you an insight.
I've just had a look at nvq apprenticeshipa and they're 2 year courses and full time so it wouldn't be wise to do A levels alongside the apprenticeship I think perhaps I should Finnish my A levels first and I'll be at uni after that Yeah ill ask the staff on my work experience they should give me a good insight
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm applying to do Chemistry at uni in September I was thinking of something part time as wouldn't have time for a full time apprenticeship so I can fund my exams and have a bit to live off as my parents are on benifits and are struggling to rack out the money to pay for my exams, practical lessons etc
If you're planning on doing a degree then that will give you a good chance of getting a job as a lab technician, I did Forensic Chemistry at uni and a fair amount of my coursemates are now working in labs with little practical experience other than what we did in tutorials, labs etc. Unless you mean you want a lab job before or alongside university?
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
If you're planning on doing a degree then that will give you a good chance of getting a job as a lab technician, I did Forensic Chemistry at uni and a fair amount of my coursemates are now working in labs with little practical experience other than what we did in tutorials, labs etc. Unless you mean you want a lab job before or alongside university?
Well I would like to be an industrial chemist so I like to think I would get a better job than a lab technician in the future after do a masters in chem
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Well I would like to be an industrial chemist so I like to think I would get a better job than a lab technician in the future after do a masters in chem
So you want the lab technician job alongside uni? I'm not sure how that would work with regards to needing certain qualifications before applying for such jobs, as others have said you're best off asking the people you're doing work experience with - if a company already knows and likes you then you stand a better chance of getting a job there after work experience. You may find you can only do work in a voluntary capacity at the moment, though, which is still great and will make you stand out from everyone else when it comes to jobs, applying for Masters etc.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
So you want the lab technician job alongside uni? I'm not sure how that would work with regards to needing certain qualifications before applying for such jobs, as others have said you're best off asking the people you're doing work experience with - if a company already knows and likes you then you stand a better chance of getting a job there after work experience. You may find you can only do work in a voluntary capacity at the moment, though, which is still great and will make you stand out from everyone else when it comes to jobs, applying for Masters etc.
Yeah I was thinking of trying to get a part time lab technician job while I'm at uni or Defo a chemistry related job Yeah I'm gonna be doing 8 weeks of work experience with a decorating Ltd in their labs it would be great if I was able to get payed work there although it is a 90 minutes commute on a really slow train it could work out if I did it a few times a week I'll be doing my work experience 2 to 3 days a week during the summer and in my uni work experience I'll working 5 days a week for two weeks and I'll be working alongside the lab technicians and If I can only do voluntary I would still be very grateful as get as much work experience as possible
I'll prolly do a work placement at uni the course I'm gonna apply for at South Wales uni has a summer placement and Lincoln has a year in industry I think Are you working in the Chemistry industry then? And where did you do forensic chemistry?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yeah I was thinking of trying to get a part time lab technician job while I'm at uni or Defo a chemistry related job Yeah I'm gonna be doing 8 weeks of work experience with a decorating Ltd in their labs it would be great if I was able to get payed work there although it is a 90 minutes commute on a really slow train it could work out if I did it a few times a week I'll be doing my work experience 2 to 3 days a week during the summer and in my uni work experience I'll working 5 days a week for two weeks and I'll be working alongside the lab technicians and If I can only do voluntary I would still be very grateful as get as much work experience as possible
I'll prolly do a work placement at uni the course I'm gonna apply for at South Wales uni has a summer placement and Lincoln has a year in industry I think Are you working in the Chemistry industry then? And where did you do forensic chemistry?
That sounds great! Placements and years in industry are valuable as well. I did Forensic Chemistry at UWE in Bristol, I'm going into Psychology though.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
That sounds great! Placements and years in industry are valuable as well. I did Forensic Chemistry at UWE in Bristol, I'm going into Psychology though.
Yeah and they should be fun applying what you've learnt during term time in a work environment and gaining more work place skills and experience what made you want go into psychology?
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah and they should be fun applying what you've learnt during term time in a work environment and gaining more work place skills and experience what made you want go into psychology?
I've always been interested in psychology from a personal point of view, having suffered from various mental health issues when I was younger and my friends going through similar. I also have a love of true crime and I'm really passionate about finding out what makes people offend and how we can help change their cognition and behaviour so they don't re-offend in the future.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (371)
37.29%
No - but I will (75)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.04%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (479)
48.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise