How can the Dirac delta function be even? Watch

hhoque1890
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My understanding of the Dirac delta function is that its a function that can be visualized to be infinity at some point A and 0 at all other points.

For any function to be even that function must be symmetric with respect to the y-axis. However the Dirac delta function seems to be only symmetric with respect to the y-axis when it is centered at the origin (i.e. when A=0, Dirac delta(x)=infinity)

Hence how does it make sense for a Dirac delta function not centered at the origin to be still referred to as an even function?
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, the definition is that "it's infinite at 0", not at an arbitrary point A. (You can just use \delta(x-A) if you want the more general behaviour).
hhoque1890
Rep:
?
Sorry, I realize now my definition for the Dirac delta function was slightly wrong. However even still I don't know how the general form of the Dirac delta function (giving the more generalized behavior as you say) can be visualized as even. (Please see image attached).

This is because when I visualize a Dirac delta function in this 'general form', I imagine a single sharply peaked function centered at some arbitrary value (x' . A function like this is clearly not symmetric with respect to the y-axis (unless x'=0).

However I have seen various proofs online (although I'm not sure if I fully understand them) that even in this more general form, the Dirac delta function is still even.

My end question is how can the general form of the Dirac delta function be regarded as even despite not being symmetric with respect to the y-axis for all values of x' not equal to 0?
Attached files
hhoque1890
Rep:
?
***The image corresponding to my previous post doesn't seem to show so here it is again:
Attached files
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hhoque1890)
***The image corresponding to my previous post doesn't seem to show so here it is again:
What I told you in my previous post still holds. \delta(x) = 0 for x \neq 0. Obviously \delta(x-a) is 0 unless x = a, and it looks like this is what you're thinking about. But this isn't the delta function; it's not what we're asserting is even. (anymore than we would expect cos(x-1) to be an even function just because cos(x) is).
Last edited by DFranklin; 1 week ago
hhoque1890
Rep:
?
Just to be 100% clear are you saying that:

\delta(x) is even

\delta(x-a) is not even
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just to be 100% clear are you saying that:

\delta(x) is even

\delta(x-a) is not even
Yes. (Exception: if a = 0 the latter function is also even).
hhoque1890
Rep:
?
Sorry the screenshot of the proof from the video in my previous post doesn't seem to show again. Here it is again:
Attached files
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sorry the screenshot of the proof from the video in my previous post doesn't seem to show again. Here it is again:
This isn't saying anything that disagrees with my previous posts.

\delta(x - a) = \delta(a-x) is merely repeating that the delta function \delta(x) is even. It is NOT saying that the function f defined by f(x) = \delta(x-a) is even.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads