Should I firm LSE or Manchester? Watch

X.X.Xxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I prefer the course at Manchester and it’s ranked higher for my subject but LSE has rep. Prestigious university or favourite course? Any advice? Would I be stupid to turn down LSE even though the course isn’t my favourite?
freshmilk
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
To be honest, it probably depends on what you see 'going to university' is.

I'm thankful to have parents who push me to pick a university that proposes a course which fits my key interest in the subject, but sadly these universities are not the best in terms of reputation.

I said 'sadly' because to me, going to university is an investment -- it's very expensive, and I'm an international student, which triples all cost. I want my experience of going to the university to worth all the money I spent on it, not only for gaining the knowledge to pursue my passion. In my point of view, if now I have the chance to go for the best, why wouldn't I take it?

If I were you, I would go for LSE because I know that it will give me more benefit than going to Manchester, due to the reputation it holds in my country which gives graduates easier access to be employed. Also, big banks in the UK recruited over 10% of LSE students from my research I saw at Quora, and I think this can show what I meant by 'worth the investment' I put when I will go to university.

But please do not take my advice directly, everyone has a different opinion and I'm one of those people who dare to take risks not really doing what I really really really want (since you mentioned that you prefer the course at Manchester).

The best thing you can think about now is whether doing your favourite course will give you long-term happiness or if this happiness still can be attained via reputation even though it's not necessarily the best course.

Good luck! Wish you the best. :crossedf:
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would probably say Manchester based on what you’ve said.

They’re both very good but if you prefer Manchester’s course, you’re more likely to do well in it and getting a higher grade increases your job prospects. I mean, what sounds better, a first or 2:1 from Manchester because you loved the course or a 2:2 from LSE?

It’s your call and there isn’t really a wrong decision, just look in more detail at the course, how it’s assessed and the experience you’d rather have.
pop18dsa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go to LSE, risk of regret is smaller.
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Go with the course you prefer. Manchester is still a prestigious and highly regarded uni.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Always, always make the choice on COURSE.

(That's what you'll be studying for 3 years - not its position on some nebulous list).
pop18dsa
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is postgraduate degree
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Always, always make the choice on COURSE.

(That's what you'll be studying for 3 years - not its position on some nebulous list).
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pop18dsa)
It is postgraduate degree
(Then don't post in the UCAS forum ....)
kwongnatalie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go for Manchester. It's the course that matters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.75%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.6%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.54%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.11%

Watched Threads