Classical music and revision Watch

Poll: Have you ever listened to classical music while you revise?
Yes (451)
61.44%
No (283)
38.56%
Evil Homer
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago

Hey guys

I've always heard that listening to classical music while you were revising was the best way to absorb and memorise what you are reading. But looking this up online gives me so much contradictory information I don't really know what to believe.

Have you guys ever listened to classical music while revising? If so, what do you listen to and do you think it helps with revision?

Name:  bach2.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  7.8 KB
CuriosityYay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends on the person.

Some people study better with music in general, while others get distracted by it and need complete silence.

So it just comes down to personal preference
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
no
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Before our year 6 SATs our whole year group was forced to have an assembly in the hall and they played classical music at the end to make us perform better :rofl:
Last edited by 8472; 1 week ago
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 8472)
Before our year 6 SATs test our whole year group was forced to have an assembly in the hall and they played classical music at the end to make us perform better :rofl:
lol, that made me laugh. :lol:
barror1
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hmmmm Classic FM is always a good shout because Spotify can get a little samey. I listen to Indian classical music too, it really helps me to focus up!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Sinnoh
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All the time. Apparently, Baroque music on low volume is the best for it. The music you listen to should not have lyrics.

If you're not sure what to pick, I recommend this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWli4mESroA
(Gigue from BWV 996 and Prelude from BWV 997 especially)

My experience with other composers:

Shostakovich - can be nice in the background, but can also be wayyyy distracting when he busts out the timpanis, but Symphony 11 is such a tune
Holst - can't revise properly when listening to Mars
Mahler - just listened to the 9th symphony while doing physics. 8/10 would recommend. It's quite slow and relaxing.

I also downloaded a Julian Bream album of classical guitar. I like guitar. It's a good album.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Mozart effect piece...

Unknown-99
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm studying right now while listening to The Weeknd so I'm going to say no to that.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
I'm studying right now while listening to The Weeknd so I'm going to say no to that.
I'm listening to candyland so also a no to that but the question is have you ever so I can say a yes.
Last edited by TensorTympani; 1 week ago
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When I do listen to classical music when studying I listen to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8tmziVhsA
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nah. lo-fi chill hop only. or like sounds of nature/meditation music.
CoolCavy
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not into classical, only time I like it is when I'm like "brehhhhh rewind that bit, yeah I could chop that into a loop and lay down a fire beat over that still".
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)

Hey guys

I've always heard that listening to classical music while you were revising was the best way to absorb and memorise what you are reading. But looking this up online gives me so much contradictory information I don't really know what to believe.

Have you guys ever listened to classical music while revising? If so, what do you listen to and do you think it helps with revision?

Name:  bach2.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  7.8 KB

Rather listened to classical music to relax, so after learning. In my learning phase I hardly listen to music to be focused on.
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't listen to music while I revise unless I'm watching French nursery rhymes to 'get better' at French.
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Evil Homer Guess you never tried it out by your own listening to classic music and revising at the same time?
Klotild
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I listen to classical music while driving, cooking, etc. Never while revising as I find it distracting. When it is not mental work (like the ones I mentioned), it is OK. But as a form of artistic expression, classical (or any kind of) music contains and conveys too much, 'wants to speak to you' ...sort of..., so it is hard not to engage. But why would I want someone/something in the background trying to take my attention when I am studying? So for me, personally, it does not make sense to listen to music at all while revising. It lessens, not enhances efficiency.
Last edited by Klotild; 1 week ago
fizzy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm revising but listening to Get Scared Sarcasm makes me a whole lot better
fizzy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
l hope u do well in ur GCSE's
(Original post by dragonius)
i don't revise :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads