Civil Service pre-employment checks - references

Watch
kirstentw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone - I've got a provisional job offer in BEIS. As part of the pre-employment checks they asked for three years' worth of references, but I don't want to tell my manager that I'm leaving before I get a formal offer. Does anyone know if the pre-employment checks include contacting references?
OnceUponAStudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It may or may not, depending on whether they're only interested in verifying your employment history, which they may be able to do without contacting a reference. You should be able to provide other references as well as an employer one, and specify for them not to contact your current employer. Have a look, if in doubt email and ask.
natalia.vet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
Could anyone tells me please who can be the employer referee? I would like to avoid speaking with my boss... can it be a workmate?
Thanks
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Usually the pre-employment checks are post offer and a formality presuming the information you have given is accurate. It is about checking you have the experience shown on the CV and have represented this honestly. The days of references are gone, most employers will only confirm that the dates of work and perhaps the final salary.
natalia.vet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
Still, I don't want to give my boss a number without speaking with her. Can I have my workmate as an employer referee? I would like not to speak with my boss - unless I will have an offer from civil service. Which I guess it may take some time
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (23)
31.08%
No (51)
68.92%

Watched Threads