My university rejected me after they accepted my offer Watch

John123hi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So my firm choice uni offered me a conditional offer, and then they asked me to send proves for my maths GCSE grade. In my UCAS I put a B because i thought a 5 is the same, but then after they received my certificate they said they had to reject me because they need a 6???!!! When I already put them as my firm choice. I don't know what to do now. I have a friend she's an international student she hasn't got GCSE maths and they still accepted her. I really want to go to this uni and don't know what to do now ((((
ibyghee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by John123hi)
So my firm choice uni offered me a conditional offer, and then they asked me to send proves for my maths GCSE grade. In my UCAS I put a B because i thought a 5 is the same, but then after they received my certificate they said they had to reject me because they need a 6???!!! When I already put them as my firm choice. I don't know what to do now. I have a friend she's an international student she hasn't got GCSE maths and they still accepted her. I really want to go to this uni and don't know what to do now ((((
ye, you should not have put B. I guess they needed a 6. For international it's different since they don't do GCSE. I guess try another university?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A 5 isn't directly equivalent to a B so this is why you may have been rejected. What is your insurance choice?

In terms of your friend, did they apply to the same course or a different university? Her acceptance may have been based on her circumstances so it isn't worth comparing yourself to their situation.
John123hi
Rep:
?
My friend applied to the same university and is doing the course as me. And like if at the end i get really good results that met their requirements why does a 5 maths matter anyway
John123hi
Rep:
?
My friend applied to the same university and is doing the course as me, this is her first year in london so she doesn't even have any GCSE grades. And like if at the end i get really good results that met their requirements why does a 5 maths matter anyway
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend applied to the same university and is doing the course as me, this is her first year in london so she doesn't even have any GCSE grades. And like if at the end i get really good results that met their requirements why does a 5 maths matter anyway
Ye, she didn't do GCSE since she's international so she probably has different qualifications, and maybe if you do really well they will accept you in clearance.
John123hi
Rep:
?
My friend is applying the same course as me. And like if at the end i get good results that met their requirements why does a 5 maths matter anyway and like I already put them as my firm and now they are rejecting me?
John123hi
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibyghee)
ye, you should not have put B. I guess they needed a 6. For international it's different since they don't do GCSE. I guess try another university?
and how do they know if my friend's international maths grade is the equivalent to a 6 here
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
and how do they know if my friend's international maths grade is the equivalent to a 6 here
They already have on their website a qualification for international students on what they need to get for different countries.
marnalarn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you tried calling them? They sometimes are more lenient on the phone because it's more personal
John123hi
Rep:
?
thanks but what exactly should I say? like they offered me a place so i put them as my firm choice, but after they saw that i got a 5 not a 6 in maths GCSE they rejected me? what else
John123hi
Rep:
?
thanks but what exactly should I say? like they offered me a place so i put them as my firm choice, but after they saw that i got a 5 not a 6 in maths GCSE they rejected me? what else
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should firstly sincerely apologise that you made a mistake on your application, explain that you understand the university has no obligation to accept you but that you were incredibly keen to attend their university, and then ask if there is any way they will reconsider, or if there is any alternative way to meet their conditions.

It's worth asking the question, but you shouldn't expect to be accepted as you haven't met the terms of your offer.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you thought about offering to resit your maths GCSE to get the grade required?

You essentially lied on your application form (if you got a 5 why did you substitute a letter grade? You should have just put a 5). They're under no obligation to bend the rules for you.
1Person
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s your fault since you declared on your UCAS application something that isn’t true. You can’t just take a numerical grade and convert it into letters as you like. Instead, you needed to communicate the actual grades you achieved. What a bad boy/girl you are.
Isinglass
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would hazard a guess that in the entry requirements for the course it stated that GCSE Maths Grade B or Grade 6 was needed? No university admitting English applicants since 2017 will only state a letter grade.

You need to inform your insurance university that you made an error on your application. All the offers you got will have been made on the basis of your submitted information being true and complete. If you are current year 13, how did you enter your Maths as a letter grade on your UCAS form - as an iGCSE? Or say that you took it the year before you did?
sophia5892
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
like I already put them as my firm and now they are rejecting me?
It's really no different to firming a university and being rejected on results day - it's a conditional offer and unfortunately, you've not met the conditions.

Charlotte's Web's advice is great - ring them, be apologetic, see if anything can be done.

I'd also double check your insurance choice to make sure your maths grade isn't an issue there too as if you put it wrong on UCAS then all your choices will have the wrong info.

If you confirmed your choices less than 14 days ago, you can contact UCAS to change them:

Changed your mind about your replies?
Here’s what to do if you change your mind:

If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.

If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do.

No reply swaps are possible after 23 July 2019.

I know that doesn't help you get in to your first choice, but if there's no way they'll take you with the 5, then at least if you change your choices you'll still be going into results day with a firm & insurance choice!

Good luck & fingers crossed!
Will18711
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Write to the uni explaining what happened and ask if they’ll consider new terms for the offer. In future you need to be very careful as falsely declaring things can get you into a lot of trouble.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your application was technically fraudulant as you did not record your actual results. Surely you knew from the uni website that you needed a 6? You'll need to resit or go elsewhere.
o
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you knew you needed a 6, then putting 'B' was deceptive since you didn't get a 'B' - you got '5'.

It isnt up to you to work out 'equivalent to' - thats the University's job. And for the new GCSE grades, each Uni is taking a slightly difference standpoint. You have just learnt the hard way that honesty pays off and trying to hide low grades doesn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads