social anthropology Watch

r028461
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
ok so i am considering studying social anthropology next year (i’m also interested in the biological side but i am terrible at science).

however, i am a bit nervous because i’m not sure if it’s right for me. i want to choose the perfect subject, and i am worried that i’m going to start SA and hate it. at the moment i’m doing my a levels and taking psychology, sociology and media studies.

i was wondering if any social anthropology students could tell me what the course is like, what they most enjoy right now etc?

so far i think i’m going to apply to Manchester and Kent for Social Anthropology, and Essex for Social Anthropology and Human Rights (if i choose this SA). i just want to find out if it’s the right thing for me?

and before you comment- yes i have read through the modules on all the websites- i would just like to get a more personal opinion
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi

I've moved this to the social and political sciences sub forum where hopefully you can get some personal experiences.

Have you been to any open days yet? These can really help you get a feel for a course and what studying it would be like, and you also often get the chance to talk to current students and teaching staff.
r028461
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I've moved this to the social and political sciences sub forum where hopefully you can get some personal experiences.

Have you been to any open days yet? These can really help you get a feel for a course and what studying it would be like, and you also often get the chance to talk to current students and teaching staff.

no unfortunately not because all the universities i’m interested in are 2+ hours away and since i’m only in year 12, my parents think i should wait until next year before attending open days. however i am really excited to, especially the essex one)
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by r028461)
no unfortunately not because all the universities i’m interested in are 2+ hours away and since i’m only in year 12, my parents think i should wait until next year before attending open days. however i am really excited to, especially the essex one)
It's really important and usual to attend open days before you apply, as otherwise how will you know where to apply to? There are open days in October too, but most people will have visited their choices by then.

I would have another chat with your parents and explain why attending open days this summer would be really valuable to you (to get a feel for the course, to see unis before you need to start narrowing down choices etc). If they aren't very familiar with the uni applications process, perhaps your head of sixth form would also be able to advise them?

If it's a financial issue, some unis will support students from low income backgrounds in attending open days.
StudentRep Annabel
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi there!
At the University of Kent there's this Unibuddy system where prospective students like you can contact current students studying the same course which could be helpful for you! Here is the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
They can answer any questions you have about the course, modules, exams, coursework and timetables!

Also I'd definitely recommend attending open days when you can as then you can get a real feel for what the university is like and speak to different people studying social anthropology face to face. Kent has an open day coming up at the beginning of July and there will be a few more in October too.
I'm in my third year at Kent so if you have any questions about student life then please feel free to ask I hope that this helps!

(Original post by r028461)
ok so i am considering studying social anthropology next year (i’m also interested in the biological side but i am terrible at science).

however, i am a bit nervous because i’m not sure if it’s right for me. i want to choose the perfect subject, and i am worried that i’m going to start SA and hate it. at the moment i’m doing my a levels and taking psychology, sociology and media studies.

i was wondering if any social anthropology students could tell me what the course is like, what they most enjoy right now etc?

so far i think i’m going to apply to Manchester and Kent for Social Anthropology, and Essex for Social Anthropology and Human Rights (if i choose this SA). i just want to find out if it’s the right thing for me?

and before you comment- yes i have read through the modules on all the websites- i would just like to get a more personal opinion
r028461
Rep:
?
(Original post by StudentRep Annabel)
Hi there!
At the University of Kent there's this Unibuddy system where prospective students like you can contact current students studying the same course which could be helpful for you! Here is the link; https://www.kent.ac.uk/unibuddy/
They can answer any questions you have about the course, modules, exams, coursework and timetables!

Also I'd definitely recommend attending open days when you can as then you can get a real feel for what the university is like and speak to different people studying social anthropology face to face. Kent has an open day coming up at the beginning of July and there will be a few more in October too.
I'm in my third year at Kent so if you have any questions about student life then please feel free to ask I hope that this helps!
thank you very much! this is really helpful)
r028461
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
It's really important and usual to attend open days before you apply, as otherwise how will you know where to apply to? There are open days in October too, but most people will have visited their choices by then.

I would have another chat with your parents and explain why attending open days this summer would be really valuable to you (to get a feel for the course, to see unis before you need to start narrowing down choices etc). If they aren't very familiar with the uni applications process, perhaps your head of sixth form would also be able to advise them?

If it's a financial issue, some unis will support students from low income backgrounds in attending open days.
yeah i’ll definitely do that! i know there’s some open days coming up in june / july, so maybe i’ll try visit then. thanks for helping!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise