Clutch/gas control in a petrol car Watch

Dgriff99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I’ve spent two years driving a diesel car, and I’ve recently just bought a petrol car and I’m overwhelmed with how hard it is to drive.
I’ve had trouble with reversing and hillstarts, as when driving my diesel car, I would mainly just use the clutch seeing as the car would start to move when at the biting point
But now I am having to get used to balancing the clutch and gas whilst using the handbreak, I’ve found it hard to find the right balance and just end up stalling every time.
I’ve just been out and practised hillstarts and reversing on a big empty country road which I think I’ve got the hang of?; but I’ve now run into another problem, when I have to just move a short distance on a hill, or when I’m at a give way and need to edge forward to get a clearer view, I end up stalling because my car needs a lot of power to get going, but because I just need to move forward the tiniest bit, it struggles and stalls- in my diesel car I would just lift the clutch a little and it would move enough to give me a clear view, however if I just use the clutch in my petrol it stalls
I’ve tried everything to help me move creep forward but stall every time does anyone have any tips/advice??
I know it probably sounds really stupid that I can’t move forward the tiniest bit but I’m really not used to how to control a petrol😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dusky Mauve
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Without thinking about applying any gas - can you find the bite point reliably every time in one movement? You need to get to the new distance - this is different on every car.
When you've got that sorted just remember you need to hit the gas much more heavily in a petrol than a diesel - and don't try and move the clutch past the biting point at all until you're applying a good bit of gas.
Dgriff99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Dusky Mauve)
Without thinking about applying any gas - can you find the bite point reliably every time in one movement? You need to get to the new distance - this is different on every car.
When you've got that sorted just remember you need to hit the gas much more heavily in a petrol than a diesel - and don't try and move the clutch past the biting point at all until you're applying a good bit of gas.
I’ve only had the car a day or two so I’m still trying to find the biting point, the car is old so it’s not very clear when I’ve hit it, there’s no real change of sound or lifting of the car so it’s a bit hit and miss
I know it takes a lot of practice but I live in an area where there’s a lot of give ways that are on hills/inclines so I haven’t really been able to get anywhere without stalling many times.
My car just takes a lot of power so it struggles trying to go up them when it’s just a tiny distance that it needs to go, if that makes sense?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed