The Student Room Group

Organ scholarship query

Hello,
I just had a few queries about organ scholarships at oxbridge, please.
1. How many applicants are there per place?
2. If I don't have A level music, am I at a disadvantage?
3. My pieces, transposition and sight-reading skills are ok, but my aural tests are very bad. How can I practise and improve at these? How much do they matter?
Hi

I've moved this thread to our Oxbridge forum where it's more likely to be seen by people in the know.
Reply 2
Original post by MEleanorM
Hello,
I just had a few queries about organ scholarships at oxbridge, please.
1. How many applicants are there per place?
2. If I don't have A level music, am I at a disadvantage?
3. My pieces, transposition and sight-reading skills are ok, but my aural tests are very bad. How can I practise and improve at these? How much do they matter?

You are primarily applying for your course, so unless it's Music having a music A-Level isn't relevant or expected.

Have you read the information provided by the universities?
e.g.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/music-awards/organ-scholarships
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/finance/music-awards/organ-scholarships/information-colleges
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/choral-and-organ-awards/organ-awards?wssl=1
Sorry I don’t know all the answers, but I do know an organ scholar. You do need to be reading music for certain colleges. eg Exeter. However the friend I have studies philosophy and theology. I don’t think there is much competition in terms of numbers. The most important thing is to get in for your subject. If not, you can be the best organist in the world, you won’t be an Oxford organ scholar. Why not try it out if you believe you are good enough? Just be aware the standard is quite high. Have a look at the standard they expect on the. Oxford website. Good luck
Reply 4
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.
Hi @MEleanorM

Are you still keen to apply to Oxford with organ scholarship?

I am writing a book about applying to Oxford called Oxford Demystified, and am blogging it on TSR for free.

I know an organ scholar, and he is going to write a chapter especially on applying for the organ scholarship. For the time being I will tag you in on the other chapters (about applying generally) if that's ok. Which subject are you applying for, as there will be several chapters about getting in, written by current Oxford students, describing their own subject, the application process and the course.
Original post by MEleanorM
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi @MEleanorM

Are you still keen to apply to Oxford with organ scholarship?

I am writing a book about applying to Oxford called Oxford Demystified, and am blogging it on TSR for free.

I know an organ scholar, and he is going to write a chapter especially on applying for the organ scholarship. For the time being I will tag you in on the other chapters (about applying generally) if that's ok. Which subject are you applying for, as there will be several chapters about getting in, written by current Oxford students, describing their own subject, the application process and the course.

Hello, is the contents of the book still on TSR? I'm applying for an organ scholarship also and would like to know more about it.
Original post by ArseneWenger821
Hello, is the contents of the book still on TSR? I'm applying for an organ scholarship also and would like to know more about it.

Sorry I know someone who was an organ scholar and he promised me a chapter but has not, and probably will not, write one.

He was a grade 8 organ and also on piano too. He used to give regular concerts at his school, and would fill in in several different churches if the organist was on holiday/ill. He had a wide knowledge of music.

When he was an organ scholar the choir went on tour in Luxembourg and somewhere else I can't remember.

He also had to learn to conduct the choir, and had his own baton. That's about all I can remember, sorry. I wonder if OP @MEleanorM got in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending