I screwed up. Watch

EmRep13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I waited too long and now we have 29 days to go and I've only confidently covered biology. I don't know how to revise English lit, my French is appalling. Physics paper 2 is a nightmare. I honestly don't know how well I'll do in the two subjects I've always aced (media and business). I've been predicted straight 8/9s and I know I could 100% do it if I'd started in march, but I didn't and I just need some tips and help.
drystar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! I've only just started too, and am aiming for 9s, so here's what I think I'm going to do:

For most subjects, I'm going to try practice papers, then note down the questions/topics I need to go over. Easier to save time as that way you only have to make notes on the things you need to work on

I study German, so I'm sure you can apply these tips for French - for the speaking exam, I'm just going to practice answering the possible questions in German, and make sure I recognise all types of questions/how to respond to certain types of questions. For the other exams, I think the way to go is try practice papers, as it gets you used to reading in the language. Memrise is good for learning extra vocab, but make sure you know how to apply it too! Learn set phrases that you know can get you extra marks in the writing exam

For English Lit I'm planning essay responses for each character and theme, and making sure I know a good few quotes for each.

For the sciences, as well as all the content, I'm gonna make sure I know all of the required practicals thoroughly, as there's always questions on at least one of them in the exams.

This week I'm planning to use exam practice workbooks for each subject, so when I try the past papers I'll be more prepared and it'll be an accurate reflection of what I know and what I need to go over. Hope this helps, just keep practicing! Work on your weaknesses! Good luck
EmRep13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you so much! It’s actually so reassuring to know that there are people in the same situation as me - I hope you get the grades you want! I just have a question about the essay plans - how do you do them, essentially? 😂
(Original post by drystar)
Hey! I've only just started too, and am aiming for 9s, so here's what I think I'm going to do:

For most subjects, I'm going to try practice papers, then note down the questions/topics I need to go over. Easier to save time as that way you only have to make notes on the things you need to work on

I study German, so I'm sure you can apply these tips for French - for the speaking exam, I'm just going to practice answering the possible questions in German, and make sure I recognise all types of questions/how to respond to certain types of questions. For the other exams, I think the way to go is try practice papers, as it gets you used to reading in the language. Memrise is good for learning extra vocab, but make sure you know how to apply it too! Learn set phrases that you know can get you extra marks in the writing exam

For English Lit I'm planning essay responses for each character and theme, and making sure I know a good few quotes for each.

For the sciences, as well as all the content, I'm gonna make sure I know all of the required practicals thoroughly, as there's always questions on at least one of them in the exams.

This week I'm planning to use exam practice workbooks for each subject, so when I try the past papers I'll be more prepared and it'll be an accurate reflection of what I know and what I need to go over. Hope this helps, just keep practicing! Work on your weaknesses! Good luck
a smalltown girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're on your Easter holiday rn like I am you should do as much as is bearable for you every day and then when you're back to school your should do at least two hours a night. I'm doing four hours a day currently sometimes five but I take two hour breaks in the middle and eat whatever I want to and do what I want to in the evening. I think you have to find a balance between healthy stress and breaking down over everything. There should be some stress!! That's normal!! But equally you have to take a break if you are revising so long that you can't focus or you feel awful. But also you do need to revise lol. If your parents or family are reasonable they should let you off from some chores if you need it and ask nicely. Not everything is against you - even though you have 29 days thats 29 days!! So much time!! Just get a hold of yourself, stop thinking about it and go!! If you don't know how to revise google ittttttt!! I love the internet so much and there are so many people who have tips for what they did and what worked for them - find out what works for you and stick to it. If you're really struggling start with test or past papers, mark them and revise what you see you need to. You. have. so. much. time. just get to it now and you'll have even more! idk if that was helpful I hope it was, ur doing great by just asking already

(Original post by EmRep13)
I waited too long and now we have 29 days to go and I've only confidently covered biology. I don't know how to revise English lit, my French is appalling. Physics paper 2 is a nightmare. I honestly don't know how well I'll do in the two subjects I've always aced (media and business). I've been predicted straight 8/9s and I know I could 100% do it if I'd started in march, but I didn't and I just need some tips and help.
nightisdark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Plan. Find out what you need to do, prepare and stick to the plan. You can do it - better have this now than a week before the exam.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
drystar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much! It’s actually so reassuring to know that there are people in the same situation as me - I hope you get the grades you want! I just have a question about the essay plans - how do you do them, essentially? 😂
I hope you get the grades you want too!
Basically for essay plans I just list like 5 basic points I can make about the character/theme... Like for Mr Birling in An Inspector Calls, one of my points would be about how he represents the naivety and stubbornness of the older generation.
Then for each quote I relate a quote to it! Doesn't take too long as I don't really go in to specifics, and they're quite easy to remember once you get to your real exam Good luck!
won.of.a.kind
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very simple and easy - Do past papers and every time u make a mistake write it in a notebook with the question correct answer and explanation. Do another paper and repeat until u get consistent good grades
optalk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For physics you can easily get a 7 minimum. Go to https://www.my-gcsescience.com/ .

You need to start ASAP. I forgot how long the physics course was but you can definitely still succeed.
National Careers Service
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there,

Something you might find helpful to get the most out of the time you have left is to create a revision timetable so you can map out when you are going to revise for a certain subject. Be sure to plan in breaks too where you can take half an hour or so to clear your head and get ready to start again.

You also need to find a technique that is right for you, that could be using flash cards, getting someone to help you by creating pop quizzes with your revision materials, some people revise better when there is background noise like music others need silence. If you are good at memorising it can help to do something active when recalling information.

I find that there are some really good tips and articles on the GCSE Biteszie website that you may also find helpful - https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/support

You may not have started as early as you would have liked but you still have time to put a revision plan in place that works for you.

Good luck with the revision and your exams!

Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads