The Student Room Group

A Level Music Edexcel 2019

Hi my fellow music stress-heads,
I can never find anywhere to get tips/discuss/moan about A level music (edexcel), maybe because it's not a popular subject to take. So I thought I'd start this - does anyone have any predictions for essays/set works etc.? What's everyone struggling with? Isn't wider listening ridiculous? I'm reckoning Anoushka Shankar and her sitar are gonna gatecrash the party this year
anyway cheers x

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi,
yeah there are literally no threads on this website about it. I was looking back on papers and I feel like revising the entirety of Popular music and Jazz plus Anoushka Shankar would be a safe bet. Idk. There are no safe bets ****. Maybe Familia Valera Miranda? What hasn't come up... also question 5 what the hell is thatttttt argagrjahjkhr
Original post by izzythemuppet
I can never find anywhere to get tips/discuss/moan about A level music (edexcel), maybe because it's not a popular subject to take. So I thought I'd start this - does anyone have any predictions for essays/set works etc.? What's everyone struggling with? Isn't wider listening ridiculous? I'm reckoning Anoushka Shankar and her sitar are gonna gatecrash the party this year
anyway cheers x
Reply 3
I’m PRAYING for a Debussy essay!!
Reply 4
But yeah I reckon anoushka shankar listening, maybe a Clara Schumann listening, Bach listening. Then essays on Debussy, Batman and kate bush?? IF COURTNEY PINE IS ON IT IM WALKING OOOOOUT
Original post by izzythemuppet
anyway cheers x
They did have Kate Bush as an essay on the AS .... hoping it's not that as I got 4/20 lol. Batman is a good call 👍👍👍
Does anyone know what else was on the AS test?
My vision of the 2019 exam!
Q1 Clara Schumann Piano trio
Q2 Batman returns BOP part 2
Q3 Stravinsky les augures printaniers
Q5 Unfamiliar Vocal music
Q6a, Eine feste burg mov 1 and 8
Q6b, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Q6c, Anoushka Shankhar Burn or Easy

I would adjust my predictions if i knew what was on the AS paper a few weeks ago. What do you guys think?
Looks good, I was thinking Shankhar, Berlioz and Bach as an Essay, possibly Beatles too
Reply 9
seems like a good prediction! and I can't find ANYone who's done the AS exam this year! crazy! Maybe they've completely gotten rid of the AS exam??
Original post by Lexalexus123
My vision of the 2019 exam!
Q1 Clara Schumann Piano trio
Q2 Batman returns BOP part 2
Q3 Stravinsky les augures printaniers
Q5 Unfamiliar Vocal music
Q6a, Eine feste burg mov 1 and 8
Q6b, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Q6c, Anoushka Shankhar Burn or Easy

I would adjust my predictions if i knew what was on the AS paper a few weeks ago. What do you guys think?
My predictions for the q6 essay options:
J S Bach
Beatles
Anoushka Shankar
Portman
Debussy

FYI, the Anoushka Shankar pieces have NEVER come up in ANY past exam since the new specification started.... so I feel like it will 10000% come up this week!
I know that the AS exam was on the 20th May but i have no idea on who and how many people have taken the exam
Original post by jessye80
seems like a good prediction! and I can't find ANYone who's done the AS exam this year! crazy! Maybe they've completely gotten rid of the AS exam??
Yep I agree
Original post by jessye80
My predictions for the q6 essay options:
J S Bach
Beatles
Anoushka Shankar
Portman
Debussy

FYI, the Anoushka Shankar pieces have NEVER come up in ANY past exam since the new specification started.... so I feel like it will 10000% come up this week!
Reply 13
Is everyone expected to really revise all 18 songs in detail? or are people looking at the ones that are more likely to come up?
Revising all 18 is what edexcel expect however people are trying to find out what was on the AS paper cos what was on that is very unlikely to come up on the A level paper.
Original post by Chiiz
Is everyone expected to really revise all 18 songs in detail? or are people looking at the ones that are more likely to come up?
im gonna ignore everything that came up last year I think. they have so many to choose from surely they won't redo those ones again?
Reply 16
Think I'll just go over everything again. The main essays from last year could still appear in the first three questions- when they get you to analyse the scores.
They will certainly not use the same essays but potentially 1 could be a listening question, i'm not that worried with dictation and the first 3 questions i'm just dreading the big marks for the 2 essays
Original post by IGP14
Think I'll just go over everything again. The main essays from last year could still appear in the first three questions- when they get you to analyse the scores.
Reply 18
I reckon that Die Zauberflote may come up either as a listening or as an essay maybe x
I swear if Shankar isn't an essay question imma get mad

Quick Reply

Latest