Revision Watch

max_rowley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I never really learned to revise, somehow managed to scrape through GCSEs with actual decent grades with a grand total of about 4 hours revision. However AS+A levels seem like a whole different ball game, and I don't know how to play. If anyone has any advice on how you revise I would be very much appreciative, as my first three days of revision have consisted of me researching how to revise. I have recently thought of revising information like I would learn lines but haven't yet got round to trying it, if anyone has, did it work?? I'm getting pretty desperate now so any help would be sick xoxo
Last edited by max_rowley; 1 week ago
Birmingham City University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi max_rowley,

We know revision can seem really overwhelming. Our students have found it's really helpful to figure out how they learn best and use that to help them select their revision techniques. If you're not quite sure how you learn best, why not take our quiz to help you figure it out.

We'd also recommend coming up with some sort of revision timetable or schedule so that you have a really clear idea of when each exam is and how long you have to revise for each. You can make this a digital timetable or draw it out by hand, just make sure it gives you all the info you need to help you manage your time effectively.

Have you tried doing past papers? If you're really stuck for how to revise this is definitely a great way for you to get stuck in. Don't worry if your marks are a little low, to begin with - use that to help you decide what areas you need to focus on. This will also really help you get into the exam mindset and really practise your exam technique. We've got loads of other revision techniques that have worked for our students on our website if you feel like you need a little bit more guidance.

We hope that helps you out a little bit and best of luck with your exams, you'll do great!
PaperJackets
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Revision really depends on the type of person you are, and so some of these techniques might not work for you, but I can list a few that did for me off the top of my head:

1. Creating revision walls and displays in areas you frequently visit around the house, like your bedroom or computer desk, putting spider diagrams or information you usually find difficult to remember on these displays could help. Since you'll see it everyday it's most likely it'll go into your brain easier.
2. Writing and rewriting notes, summarising the notes more and more until you've gotten a in-depth summary of the information you are revising. This one helped me specifically, but I learn a lot through writing extensive notes then going home and highlighting and summarising.
3. Creating your own essay questions, or finding some online that already exist, and either planning or actually writing out an essay. Again, this one helped me immensely and improved my essay techniques (but if none of your subjects are essay based this one isn't too helpful).
4. Watching videos specific to your topic of choice, or even listening to podcasts that are relevant if you find listening to be easier.
5. Creating flashcards, whether thats physical cards, or you can use Quizlet which is an online flashcard app/site which I find super useful for remembering terms and definitions.

These are just a few you could possibly try, but I highly recommend revising in multiple ways to cover all different types of revision, as only writing notes out will not allow any information to go in. Revise in short amounts at a time, like have a 30 minute session, then a 5-10 minute break, then go straight back into working. Also most definitely set out a revision schedule, as it both helps you feel alike you're achieving something productive with your organisation whilst still improving your revision at the same time.

Sorry for the really long reply, but I hope these help.
Last edited by PaperJackets; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads