What is A-Level Religious Studies like?

Watch
Charliexo14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm considering taking R.S at A-Level as I'm currently doing it at GCSE and am really enjoying it. I've heard it's different to how it is at GCSE level so I was wondering if somebody could give me an insight into the types of things I'd be learning about? Thank you
amiraayy1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hellooo,

I do A Level Religious Studies AQA. All I can say is that it is very challenging, harder than GCSE. Many say it is an easy A level, I do believe if you have stable teachers from day 1 then it is pretty straight forward, moreover, you are only tested on AO1 (knowledge) and AO2 (analysis). So In principle its not hard, it's supposed to be straightforward. I got an A at GCSE, but for my final mocks I got a B overall at A Level, I have 5 weeks to get that to an A to study Law at uni this year. IT IS HARD. Before my last mocks I was at a C/D level for the whole of year 12 and half of year 13. It took roughly 3 hours of RE revision a day to get myself to my current standard despite the fact that I am quite academically able (consistent A's/A*'s in A Level English Lit). My best advice is to find out what exam board it would be? If It is OCR, unless you are getting straight A*'s at GCSE RE, you will find it extremely challenging. I must enlighten you that most people that sit A Level RE are from private schools, naturally able people. That doesn't make you any less! That just means you have to be conscious of the grade boundaries, they are quite high depending at how you look at it. Last year you needed 70/100 for an A. I would say research the course more as it is more than RE, it is Philosophy aswell, and it is difficult. I have enjoyed some of it though, if you are passionate go ahead! If I had the choice to choose RE or something different I wouldn't have chosen RE.

You Learn about God, arguments for his existence. Religious experiences such as visions, miracles, the conscience, ethical theories such as virtue ethics and Natural moral law, the self, death and afterlife, Sources of wisdom and authority, Good conduct and moral principles, applications to life, Christianity gender and sexuality, secularisation, pluralism, the dialogues between philosophy and christianity,

I forgot to mention it is a very CONTENT HEAVY subject. Alot of information to be digested.

I hope I have helped!
Last edited by amiraayy1; 1 year ago
Charliexo14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much! It sounds very demanding, but the content does sound like the type of stuff that interests me. The college I'm hoping to go to is with AQA for R.S - I'm only in year 10 at the moment but I've never got lower than a grade 9 on any of the mocks that I've done so far, and have also managed to get full marks on a few papers. I'm also hoping to do law at univeirsty! Thanks for your help and good luck in your exams
(Original post by amiraayy1)
Hellooo,

I do A Level Religious Studies AQA. All I can say is that it is very challenging, harder than GCSE. Many say it is an easy A level, I do believe if you have stable teachers from day 1 then it is pretty straight forward, moreover, you are only tested on AO1 (knowledge) and AO2 (analysis). So In principle its not hard, it's supposed to be straightforward. I got an A at GCSE, but for my final mocks I got a B overall at A Level, I have 5 weeks to get that to an A to study Law at uni this year. IT IS HARD. Before my last mocks I was at a C/D level for the whole of year 12 and half of year 13. It took roughly 3 hours of RE revision a day to get myself to my current standard despite the fact that I am quite academically able (consistent A's/A*'s in A Level English Lit). My best advice is to find out what exam board it would be? If It is OCR, unless you are getting straight A*'s at GCSE RE, you will find it extremely challenging. I must enlighten you that most people that sit A Level RE are from private schools, naturally able people. That doesn't make you any less! That just means you have to be conscious of the grade boundaries, they are quite high depending at how you look at it. Last year you needed 70/100 for an A. I would say research the course more as it is more than RE, it is Philosophy aswell, and it is difficult. I have enjoyed some of it though, if you are passionate go ahead! If I had the choice to choose RE or something different I wouldn't have chosen RE.

You Learn about God, arguments for his existence. Religious experiences such as visions, miracles, the conscience, ethical theories such as virtue ethics and Natural moral law, the self, death and afterlife, Sources of wisdom and authority, Good conduct and moral principles, applications to life, Christianity gender and sexuality, secularisation, pluralism, the dialogues between philosophy and christianity,

I forgot to mention it is a very CONTENT HEAVY subject. Alot of information to be digested.

I hope I have helped!
amiraayy1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im sure you will be able to get the grades!! If it is with AQA then as long as you are consistent from the get go it will be fine!! Well done on your grade 9's and Thank you!!!
(Original post by Charliexo14)
Thank you so much! It sounds very demanding, but the content does sound like the type of stuff that interests me. The college I'm hoping to go to is with AQA for R.S - I'm only in year 10 at the moment but I've never got lower than a grade 9 on any of the mocks that I've done so far, and have also managed to get full marks on a few papers. I'm also hoping to do law at univeirsty! Thanks for your help and good luck in your exams
satisfied1110
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i do edexcel and i couldnt agree less amiraayy1 because it is a very content subject. The best tip i could give you is to type or write your notes out as soon as you finish a topic and stay on top of revision. Do NOT leave it last minute.
anonymous.2000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I’m a current year 13 student studying A- level Religious Studies. I got an A* at AQA GCSE and I decided to take it because it was an ‘easy’ subject. I do WJEC A level Religious Studies. When I first started A level Religious Studies, Philosophy was the most difficult for me and I struggled with this for several months. The religion side of Religious Studies and Ethics were easy to me in year 12. I didn’t realise how much I actually enjoyed learning about the different concepts of Philosophy despite having struggled with it. There was a huge jump in understanding philosophy- it was as if my teacher was speaking a completely different language because of the various philosophical terms she would use and expect us to know from day one. I came out with an A at AS, and I barely revised for it - I ended up cramming all the information a day before the exam. I’m currently predicted an A*, and Ethics has become a lot more demanding, as well as Religion. The hardest thing for me personally, is linking different concepts together between different components of the course.
I’m not sure about what you’ll learn from the AQA exam board, but according to what I’ve learnt, you’ll learn about deductive, inductive arguments, predestination, teleological, deontological Ethics, meta- Ethics, and so much more.
I’m predicted an A* and pretty much throughout the course I’ve been getting almost full marks in every assessment. Its all down to understanding. If you don’t understand something in RS, make sure you understand it then and there when it’s being taught. I don’t mean to sound boastful but I tend to grasps concepts in Religious Studies a lot better than my peers and I’m a bit extra in the sense that I always doubt whether I really understand something hence why I’ll really go into depth with my essays.
As I mentioned previously, at AS I didn’t really revise I pretty much crammed but I would not recommend you do this for the actual A level exams because I managed to pull it off last year because there wasn’t as much content but theres a bit too much content at the end of it all, on top of that quotes.
Sorry for a long post but this is my experience of it all!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads