Telling my mum I don't want to go to prom Watch

JessH653
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm in year 11 and prom is coming up in July. I've been planning for months but have come to the realisation that I really, really don't want to go. My mum made me buy the dress way back in December, and actually got quite aggressive when I suggested we wait longer. Back then I was under the impression that I would be able to find someone to go with by the time prom came around, but as it stands I have no date and no friends.
The thought of prom makes me feel sick to my stomach, but so does the thought of telling my mother I'm having second thoughts. I'm scared she will be mad at me, and accuse me of abusing her and my other relatives (like she did when I suggested we wait to buy the dress). For the past 2 months my only motivation to go has been to avoid invoking her wrath, but my anxiety around prom is so strong now that I have to cancel it. There will be another prom coming up in year 13, which will be my excuse to my mother.
Any advice?
GlitterandGold-x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If you don't want to go, don't. When I was in secondary school I had 2 friends, each part of different cliques, whose friends didn't think I was cool enough to hang around them. So I didn't go. Heard later from those that did that it was over-hyped (as prom usually is) anyway.

If you don't want to tell your mum the real reason, suggest you'd rather spend the money on something else. It seems odd though that your mum hasn't guessed by now that you have no friends. Secondary school is such a tough time, and cliques make it hard for anyone willing, to fit in. If you go to uni there'll probably be balls then, but don't feel as though you're missing out. It probably won't be all that anyway.:hugs:
jessicacowlard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
i think prom is overrated. if you don’t want to go, you shouldn’t have to. explain to her how you feel, if she tries to talk over you, or you don’t think she’s listening or seeing your side then stop. get up and leave. try again a little later, make sure you tell her that if she doesn’t hear you out then you won’t bother speaking to her. don’t fight about it, don’t let her fight you about it. until recently i’ve struggled explaining things to my mum because of the same kind of reasons, just keep calm and explain to her. prolly say stuff like “i understand you want me to go but....” “i know we bought the dress... but” make sure she understands that you see her point of view. trust, she’s your mum and if you explain to her how badly you don’t want to do it, she’ll listen to you and hopefully you’ll get out of it. she prolly just wants you to be happy and not to miss out
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Melobond
Badges: 9
Report 4 days ago
prom is soooooo overrated!! Everyone ends up spending too much money on the dress, make up, hair and travel, expecting something amazing when in reality it’s like a school disco. If you do end up going, please don’t spend hundreds on your dress like me and my friends did as it is a huge waste of money. It’s nice to see all your friends dressed up together but don’t go unless you really want to, it’s not a big deal. You can always sell your dress too if you need to x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jusinman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yah dont go i mean i a am a seniornin high schol now i jad ine girl ask me to prom but my grandma and my dad said prom is a waste of money and actually will not let me go
HasanQ585
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
My year 11 prom was shite, just don't go; you won't regret it lol
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I think,

You should tough it out and go.

Go on tinder and find a guy externally, your a girl for god sakes. So easy as a girl.
the_queen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by JessH653)
I'm in year 11 and prom is coming up in July. I've been planning for months but have come to the realisation that I really, really don't want to go. My mum made me buy the dress way back in December, and actually got quite aggressive when I suggested we wait longer. Back then I was under the impression that I would be able to find someone to go with by the time prom came around, but as it stands I have no date and no friends.
The thought of prom makes me feel sick to my stomach, but so does the thought of telling my mother I'm having second thoughts. I'm scared she will be mad at me, and accuse me of abusing her and my other relatives (like she did when I suggested we wait to buy the dress). For the past 2 months my only motivation to go has been to avoid invoking her wrath, but my anxiety around prom is so strong now that I have to cancel it. There will be another prom coming up in year 13, which will be my excuse to my mother.
Any advice?
How come you dont have friends? You have your colleges, classmates which is enough. Why do you need a bf? You dont! You are the most important person in the wotkd so appreciate yourself and go. Head up, keep you shoulder straight and go! You are young, beautiful, be happy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (216)
39.34%
No - but I will (38)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.56%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed