Help! Career suggestions Watch

Sunshie101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Help please!
I am doing GCSEs and wanting to take biology maths and English Alevels but am totally stuck for future plans. Any suggestions? Looking for a well paid job with ideally not having to go to university.
barror1
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Have you tried some online careers tests? It might help to narrow it down for you
delporto8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sunshie101)
Help please!
I am doing GCSEs and wanting to take biology maths and English Alevels but am totally stuck for future plans. Any suggestions? Looking for a well paid job with ideally not having to go to university.
You're asking TSR...? Right.

You're doing GCSEs, and you have decided what A-Levels you are going to do. You should probably at this point not be looking into career choices at this current time and moment because that will completely distract you from your main primary focus of completing and achieving high GCSE grades. You should consider and take the next two to three years of your school life, at a time, setting goals that will eventually lead into the career that you want to do.

Okay, you're doing English Lang and/or Lit, Biology and Maths. Please, don't think about it right now, just settle into Year 12 of a goal of doing well and learning what you need to know and maybe figuring out what to do, then when Year 13 comes, this is where you will decide what path you want to converge to. Too many students are impatient and go into the wrong career choice and become seriously unhappy. Don't let that be you.

Albeit best of luck with GCSEs.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by delporto8)
You're asking TSR...? Right.

You're doing GCSEs, and you have decided what A-Levels you are going to do. You should probably at this point not be looking into career choices at this current time and moment because that will completely distract you from your main primary focus of completing and achieving high GCSE grades. You should consider and take the next two to three years of your school life, at a time, setting goals that will eventually lead into the career that you want to do.

Okay, you're doing English Lang and/or Lit, Biology and Maths. Please, don't think about it right now, just settle into Year 12 of a goal of doing well and learning what you need to know and maybe figuring out what to do, then when Year 13 comes, this is where you will decide what path you want to converge to. Too many students are impatient and go into the wrong career choice and become seriously unhappy. Don't let that be you.

Albeit best of luck with GCSEs.
Apprenticeships such as the Civil Service, Degree apprenticeships (I know you don't want to go to uni, but it's working whilst studying and you get paid for it!) and direct entry level office jobs such as Junior Accountant, Finance Assistant. All start fairly low but will rise with hard work and drive. However I didn't even start thinking about my career until 20 and at 22 I have finally (I think) decided what I want to do but I can't do it for a few years. A good piece of advice is remember getting paid less and living at home is generally better than living out and getting paid more. (Unless the gap is massive) Also remember there's more than life than money as it can bring you joy but also severe misery from long hours/stress etc.
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 1 week ago
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't worry about being stuck for future plans. Most people have no idea what to do with the rest of their life at GCSE anyway.

If you're not interested in going to university, that's fine too - it's better to make that decision now and be open to other options than to feel any pressure to go to university and end up studying the 'wrong' subject or something you don't enjoy. Maybe you'll find something that interests you in future on and eventually go to university a couple of years later instead (unlike school and college, universities have loads of older students who didn't go when they were 18/19. don't allow other people to make your life choices for you by pushing you into studying if you don't want to).

English and Maths are both very generic subjects which can lead in pretty much any direction. Besides, your A-Level subject choices don't usually make much difference when it comes to career choices, so take the time to think about it and focus on succeeding at your GCSEs and then on your A-Levels too - having top A-Level grades will really help to keep your options open. .

Instead of trying to plan the future now here's a few ideas:
- Think of things which interest you - they don't need to be career related, but by the time you're 18 you'll be able to go off and do whatever you like; maybe think about travelling and exploring the world instead of committing yourself to studies and a career straight away.
- If anything which could be potentially career related interests you, then seek out other likeminded people and events/groups to be part of in your own time or even just do some research about them and see where that all leads - for example, if you're interested in biology then maybe look into something related to lifestyle, fitness, sports therapy, medicine, nutrition, etc.
- Look out for trainee/apprenticeship opportunities as you're approaching the end of your A-Levels - There are all kinds of higher (Level 4 and above) apprenticeships which lead to high-skilled careers, and often also lead to qualifications which are equivalent to university-level qualifications.
- Do some volunteering or get a part-time low-skill job over the summer (e.g. retail or temporary office work). That might not lead to the kinds of jobs you do want to do, but sometimes you can gain a lot of clarity and perspective just by experiencing the kinds of jobs that you definitely don't want to do for the rest of your life. (and earning money is never a bad thing)

One last thing to say, your perspective on life will probably change a lot over the next few years - you'll meet new people, gain a lot of independence, go through a lot of changes, and get more chances to see the world from a different angle which isn't framed by school and exams. Whatever is worrying you right now about the future might seem completely different in 1-2 years time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (453)
38%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.57%

Watched Threads