How much revision should be done daily for A-Levles Watch

bodge123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
A-Levels are in a month and a few days and I've been revising non-stop since the day they mentioned Mock exams in December, but for some reason I keep feeling strangely anxious that I'm not doing nearly enough revision as I am supposed to be doing.

I don't know the exact number of hours I may do I do but I usually split the day up into sections for example during the break from school we currently have this is an estimate of the time I spend revising:

8:30 - 9:30 - English (read over notes multiple times, paper by paper)
1:30 - 2:40- Economics (read over notes or do past paper)
5:30 - 7:00 - Law (read over notes or write up new versions of them in mindmaps or in a clearer more condensed form)

Doing any more than this usually tires me out but I feel like I'm not doing enough. I got B,B,C on my mock exams and I need to push that up to A,B,B on the real exams to get into the university I want , so I'm worried I might not be doing as much as I should be .

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated
luqman12673863
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by bodge123)
A-Levels are in a month and a few days and I've been revising non-stop since the day they mentioned Mock exams in December, but for some reason I keep feeling strangely anxious that I'm not doing nearly enough revision as I am supposed to be doing.

I don't know the exact number of hours I may do I do but I usually split the day up into sections for example during the break from school we currently have this is an estimate of the time I spend revising:

8:30 - 9:30 - English (read over notes multiple times, paper by paper)
1:30 - 2:40- Economics (read over notes or do past paper)
5:30 - 7:00 - Law (read over notes or write up new versions of them in mindmaps or in a clearer more condensed form)

Doing any more than this usually tires me out but I feel like I'm not doing enough. I got B,B,C on my mock exams and I need to push that up to A,B,B on the real exams to get into the university I want , so I'm worried I might not be doing as much as I should be .

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated
Chill yet
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bodge123
Rep:
?
what?
(Original post by luqman12673863)
Chill yet
luqman12673863
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
what?
Why are you stressing lol
OAOAO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Generally I aim to revise anywhere from 6-8 hours a day, I do Maths, Physics and Economics - some would say that the first two are harder subjects than most so probably require more attention; I am also aiming for A*A*A so I guess it really depends on what subjects you do and what you're aiming for.
If I were to be completely honest with you I would definitely say you might wanna kick it up a notch especially this close to exams, with economics the best advice I could give is don't spend too much time looking over notes and just do 25 markers - depending on what exam board you are with. Doing 25 makers tends to build up all the skills you need for the previous questions such as diagrams and relating your answer back to the question etc.
But at the same time remember to take breaks, put your mental health first, take a walk or something every now and then and don't forget to eat as well. Exams are important but you don't wanna be drilling yourself in to the ground working up to them.
Find some motivation that actually works - I just look at my siblings who lead successful lives now and that motivates me enough but different things work for different people.

Tl;dr: Bump it up a notch, motivate yourself and work smarter not harder.
OAOAO
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Oh and just a tip, no matter how much you revise that feeling of you could do more will always be there so take that with a pinch of salt 😅
bodge123
Rep:
?
(Original post by OAOAO)
Generally I aim to revise anywhere from 6-8 hours a day, I do Maths, Physics and Economics - some would say that the first two are harder subjects than most so probably require more attention; I am also aiming for A*A*A so I guess it really depends on what subjects you do and what you're aiming for.
If I were to be completely honest with you I would definitely say you might wanna kick it up a notch especially this close to exams, with economics the best advice I could give is don't spend too much time looking over notes and just do 25 markers - depending on what exam board you are with. Doing 25 makers tends to build up all the skills you need for the previous questions such as diagrams and relating your answer back to the question etc.
But at the same time remember to take breaks, put your mental health first, take a walk or something every now and then and don't forget to eat as well. Exams are important but you don't wanna be drilling yourself in to the ground working up to them.
Find some motivation that actually works - I just look at my siblings who lead successful lives now and that motivates me enough but different things work for different people.

Tl;dr: Bump it up a notch, motivate yourself and work smarter not harder
(Original post by OAOAO)
Oh and just a tip, no matter how much you revise that feeling of you could do more will always be there so take that with a pinch of salt 😅
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it greatly. Do you reckon I should alter my methods and timetable as well?

Btw is there any chance you're doing the Economics B course for Edexcel?
bodge123
Rep:
?
why wouldn't I be lol, exams are getting closer by the day
(Original post by luqman12673863)
Why are you stressing lol
PaperJackets
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I'm only in my first year of A-Levels, so I'm unsure whether this might help, but I'd suggest varying revision techniques, on top of the ones you're already doing, that are less taxing than hardcore note taking. You could possibly, if you haven't already, create a revision walls of important information in places you frequent a lot, so that you always see it and the information will hammer in. You could watch videos relevant/specific to the topic you're revising? If you have anyone available, having someone else test you on a topic, whether you are unsure of it or not, can highlight areas of uncertainty you never would've seen.Also, you can use Quizlet (a flashcard app/site) to create virtual flashcards, meaning you can revise terms and definitions anywhere.

I'm unsure about Economics and Law, but I know it's quite hard to revise for English. To revise for my upcoming mocks, I've asked my friends who are in that class to create exam questions for me that I would never find on the internet, meaning I can really test my knowledge on possible themes or interpretations that could come up.

About the hours you're doing, I'm really unsure what's truly enough or not, since you can never do too much revision, but I'd say don't overwork yourself. Take breaks around 5 minute breaks regularly, and don't do long 1 hour sessions without breaks since that can be taxing. Like the others have said, around 6-8 hours should be enough.

Hope this helps somewhat, and sorry for the long post.
Last edited by PaperJackets; 4 days ago
bodge123
Rep:
?
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it
(Original post by PaperJackets)
I'm only in my first year of A-Levels, so I'm unsure whether this might help, but I'd suggest varying revision techniques, on top of the ones you're already doing, that are less taxing than hardcore note taking. You could possibly, if you haven't already, create a revision walls of important information in places you frequent a lot, so that you always see it and the information will hammer in. You could watch videos relevant/specific to the topic you're revising? If you have anyone available, having someone else test you on a topic, whether you are unsure of it or not, can highlight areas of uncertainty you never would've seen.Also, you can use Quizlet (a flashcard app/site) to create virtual flashcards, meaning you can revise terms and definitions anywhere.

I'm unsure about Economics and Law, but I know it's quite hard to revise for English. To revise for my upcoming mocks, I've asked my friends who are in that class to create exam questions for me that I would never find on the internet, meaning I can really test my knowledge on possible themes or interpretations that could come up.

About the hours you're doing, I'm really unsure what's truly enough or not, since you can never do too much revision, but I'd say don't overwork yourself. Take breaks around 5 minute breaks regularly, and don't do long 1 hour sessions without breaks since that can be taxing. Like the others have said, around 6-8 hours should be enough.

Hope this helps somewhat, and sorry for the long post.
MedicGirl17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I really need to step up the revision. I usually do 6 hours a day while at school (but that includes lots of chatting breaks). I'm doing like 4-6 focused hours of revision now that it's Easter but I'm honestly so slow. Like it takes me an hour to make a page of notes which is not great
bodge123
Rep:
?
I'd say 4-6 hours sounds like a decent amount but then again I'm really unsure, hence why I made this post in the first place lol
What are you aiming for in terms of grades, and what did you get on your mock exams ? (if your school does those)
(Original post by MedicGirl17)
I really need to step up the revision. I usually do 6 hours a day while at school (but that includes lots of chatting breaks). I'm doing like 4-6 focused hours of revision now that it's Easter but I'm honestly so slow. Like it takes me an hour to make a page of notes which is not great
OAOAO
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Unfortuntely not, I do AQA, but if you wanna dm me or something I would be up for helping with any questions if you need any help if you want; I mean economics is economics 😅
I think when it comes to time table focus most on what subject you struggle with the most and even within that subject don't spend too much time on the areas you're already confident in, focus on the areas that you struggle with which is where past papers come in really handy. Don't just do them and put them aside, comb through them against the markscheme and when you identify a weak area find questions on that topic and rinse through them. Then go back and redo the questions and see the differences in technique and content.
I only do economics and I count that as an essay subject but seeing as you're doing three of them I'm sure you know how much timing is important; I always start with the 25 markers in my econ exam - literally no reason comes to mind but that's how I've always done them and it works for me so I don't see a reason to change it.
When it comes to revision techniques, it really is mostly just finding what works for you and sticking with it.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it greatly. Do you reckon I should alter my methods and timetable as well?

Btw is there any chance you're doing the Economics B course for Edexcel?
bodge123
Rep:
?
I'm not sure if there's a specific topic that I struggle with in Economics, just bits and pieces I tend to either forget, miss out or not know as much as I thought I would, but I agree that past papers would work really well to iron out those mistakes. I'll be sure to DM you if there's anything I need help with although my course isn't pure economics like I'm guessing yours is. I too also start with the 20 markers just to get those out of the way

I'm thinking of starting a new revision plan tomorrow where I do all the methods I'm currently doing but adding extra stuff in such as maybe watching revision videos, going through mark schemes and typing out notes, whilst splitting my timetable more evenly to do four 30 minute blocks of each of the three subjects which breaks in between (e.g. 30 mins Law, 20 min break, 30 min Economics, 20 min break etc.) in order to get at least 6 hours in, is that a plausible plan?

(Original post by OAOAO)
Unfortuntely not, I do AQA, but if you wanna dm me or something I would be up for helping with any questions if you need any help if you want; I mean economics is economics 😅
I think when it comes to time table focus most on what subject you struggle with the most and even within that subject don't spend too much time on the areas you're already confident in, focus on the areas that you struggle with which is where past papers come in really handy. Don't just do them and put them aside, comb through them against the markscheme and when you identify a weak area find questions on that topic and rinse through them. Then go back and redo the questions and see the differences in technique and content.
I only do economics and I count that as an essay subject but seeing as you're doing three of them I'm sure you know how much timing is important; I always start with the 25 markers in my econ exam - literally no reason comes to mind but that's how I've always done them and it works for me so I don't see a reason to change it.
When it comes to revision techniques, it really is mostly just finding what works for you and sticking with it.
fifi1610
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i do edexcel b econ and abou 8 hours of revision a day!
bodge123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
If you're doing Economics B for edexcel, does that mean you're also doing the Labour Case Study stuff? If so how are you revising for the Labour stuff thats gonna be on the last paper?
(Original post by fifi1610)
i do edexcel b econ and abou 8 hours of revision a day!
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What I do is copy out notes for biology which should take me 8 days for the whole syllabus, hopefully same with chemistry and physics and then leading up to the exam just past paper questions supplemented with notes. I make sure to recall my notes and key points made before I begin new notes and after I finish them.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
5 hours minimum although I do more than that.
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I did 6 hours total with breaks. I'd work in periods of 2 hours with 30 minute breaks (an hour for lunch).

Seemed to work for me.
It will vary depending on the person though.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
What I do is copy out notes for biology which should take me 8 days for the whole syllabus, hopefully same with chemistry and physics and then leading up to the exam just past paper questions supplemented with notes. I make sure to recall my notes and key points made before I begin new notes and after I finish them.
So you haven't finished making notes yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads