The Student Room Group

What happens if I don’t get a scholarship?

So I’ve accepted a place to study MA international relations at Leeds in Sept.

My worry is that I won’t be able to fund my study without a scholarship. I applied for the Leeds Masters Scholarship (I think that’s its name) for under-represented groups, but was told it’s very competitive, so am unlikely to get this. I also saw two other scholarships including a fee scholarship on the open day, but could not find these on the website (anyone know why that is)?

So my first question is: where do I start looking for alternative scholarships not offered through the university? I’ve had a quick look but it seems daunting and the information wasn’t very forthcoming.

Second, and most important: what do I do if I don’t get a scholarship? Are there ways to get loans at university that are aside from the standard postgraduate loan? If not, is there a penalty for cancelling my course, especially if I have already applied for the postgraduate loan?

Sorry for the long post, I have a lot of questions/worries and haven’t been able to find much support, and I’m feeling very lost.

Thanks
Reply 1
Sorry this isn't an answer to your question, but I am in a similar position and I am also interested in the answer 😊 Hopefully this bumps your post
Finding info about funding is indeed very difficult as there is a lot out there and it's very dependent on eligibility so you do just have to look. The uni will have some info about what they offer. Otherwise a loan or savings are the only other options. Are you international?

Re: cancelling your course, you can either withdraw your application or ask to defer till next year (though they don't have to agree to this). Unless you have paid a deposit which you stand to lose you will not be penalised.
Original post by c0llier

My worry is that I won’t be able to fund my study without a scholarship. I applied for the Leeds Masters Scholarship (I think that’s its name) for under-represented groups, but was told it’s very competitive, so am unlikely to get this. I also saw two other scholarships including a fee scholarship on the open day, but could not find these on the website (anyone know why that is)?

So my first question is: where do I start looking for alternative scholarships not offered through the university? I’ve had a quick look but it seems daunting and the information wasn’t very forthcoming.

Second, and most important: what do I do if I don’t get a scholarship? Are there ways to get loans at university that are aside from the standard postgraduate loan? If not, is there a penalty for cancelling my course, especially if I have already applied for the postgraduate loan?

Sorry for the long post, I have a lot of questions/worries and haven’t been able to find much support, and I’m feeling very lost.

Thanks
Original post by c0llier

Thanks

Hate to be so brutal, but this is just the situation almost all post-grads find themselves, here are probably the most common routes people take: given the 10k loan normally will cover the fees and nothing else.

-get a job over the summer & save up as much as possible, then get a part-time job at Uni
-take a year out and save as much as possible
-have you worked for a company/benefactor who would sponsor you
-Have a family member help out + a job over summer
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply, and don’t worry about being brutal, it puts the situation into perspective that I’m not the only one with this problem.

Thanks for the advice too, I’m on a year out at the moment to save however recently got made redundant, which has amplified my stress about not being able to save. Hopefully will be in work soon again though so I can save some more, and I will definitely be working part time alongside my studies
Original post by mnot
Hate to be so brutal, but this is just the situation almost all post-grads find themselves, here are probably the most common routes people take: given the 10k loan normally will cover the fees and nothing else.

-get a job over the summer & save up as much as possible, then get a part-time job at Uni
-take a year out and save as much as possible
-have you worked for a company/benefactor who would sponsor you
-Have a family member help out + a job over summer
Hey, sorry I don't have any advice but just wanted to add that you aren't alone. I'm starting a masters in September and my uni doesn't do any scholarships that I can apply for. I've got some money saved up but I will work this summer and will definitely have to work alongside my masters when I start. My only worry is about whether I'll be able to find a job this summer. Good luck with everything though.

Quick Reply

Latest