The Student Room Group

Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
1) Kering group that owns the Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent fashion brands, pledged €100m (£86m; $113m) towards rebuilding Notre-Dame, AFP news agency reports.

2) Another €200m was pledged by Bernard Arnault's family and their company LVMH - a business empire which includes Louis Vuitton and Sephora

3) French cosmetics giant L'Oreal and its founding Bettencourt family have promised to give a further €200m to the reconstruction effort.

4) Total, the French oil giant, has also pledged €100m.

:biggrin: - hope we can restore it to its full glory :biggrin:

well played to those companies ! not all businesses are greedy planet-rapers.

:congrats:
1) Kering group that owns the Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent fashion brands, pledged €100m (£86m; $113m) towards rebuilding Notre-Dame, AFP news agency reports.

2) Another €200m was pledged by Bernard Arnault's family and their company LVMH - a business empire which includes Louis Vuitton and Sephora

3) French cosmetics giant L'Oreal and its founding Bettencourt family have promised to give a further €200m to the reconstruction effort.

4) Total, the French oil giant, has also pledged €100m.

:biggrin: - hope we can restore it to its full glory :biggrin:

I hope that it will be restored, but the Catholic Church isn't exactly poor - they extort plenty of money from their followers, and have a pyramid scheme to create new ones (not that the French go for that).
Original post by the bear
i was devastated by the images from Paris yesterday. it was distressing and emotional for me as well as my fellow Catholics across the world.

It's just a fancy church which can be replaced.Honestly we don't need a global outpouring of grief over a cathedral.You'd think somebody had died.
Original post by AJ126
It's just a fancy church which can be replaced.Honestly we don't need a global outpouring of grief over a cathedral.You'd think somebody had died.

You, Sir, are an iconoclast!
Original post by AJ126

what in the hell??

for Catholics and French people and for people across the world in fact its much more than a building, a symbol of France and Europe enduring for 850 years on the skyline of Paris, Britain's King Henry VI was crowned King of France there, Emperor Napoleon, bearing witness to 2 world wars, French wars of religion, and an enduring symbol of faith....
what in the hell??

for Catholics and French people and for people across the world in fact its much more than a building, a symbol of France and Europe enduring for 850 years on the skyline of Paris, Britain's King Henry VI was crowned King of France there, Emperor Napoleon, bearing witness to 2 world wars, French wars of religion, and an enduring symbol of faith....

It's a fancy church.If anything it's a symbol of appalling hypocrisy.The Catholic church preaches to love the poor yet builds palaces for itself.

Tbh I'm not denying it's important, I just don't really see the need for the overreaction.The queen expressed sadnesses and condolences.I mean really? It's an old building.Not a living person.
Reply 86
Original post by SarcAndSpark
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/15/notre-dame-cathedral-fire/

Not much more to say than that really- but from the photos it looks pretty serious!

Hopefully no lives are in danger!

Nope everyone's safe and sound except for the roof and a bunch of really really old paintings.
Original post by AJ126
It's a fancy church.If anything it's a symbol of appalling hypocrisy.The Catholic church preaches to love the poor yet builds palaces for itself.

Tbh I'm not denying it's important, I just don't really see the need for the overreaction.The queen expressed sadnesses and condolences.I mean really? It's an old building.Not a living person.

tsredgy222.jpg
Reply 88
tsredgy222.jpg

Hmm... interesting 🤔
tsredgy222.jpg

I take your point.I just think its an overreaction.Apparently the bells of Westminster are going to be ringing out in " solidarity".
Original post by AJ126
I take your point.I just think its an overreaction.Apparently the bells of Westminster are going to be ringing out in " solidarity".

good.
Reply 91
Original post by AJ126

This forum just got more interesting. We've got people with their own opinions.
good.

Why's it good?
Ringing a couple of bells isn't going to do anything.Neither is singing ave Maria in the streets.Tbh it's actually a little bit pathetic.The world hasn't ended because a building partly burned down.There is no need to have a full-blown funeral dirge for it.

Solidarity is just an overused word which people use to make themselves feel like they are doing something.Its about as effective as thoughts and prayers are.Whilst it might be appropriate for a massacre it's just not appropriate for a building.
Reply 93
Jesus never asked his people to build expensive cathedrals with all the associated vestments & regalia.
Of course Notre Dame means Our Lady, what's that all about?

Seems similar to Jeremiah 44v25:
"Thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her: ye will surely accomplish your vows, and surely perform your vows."
Original post by AJ126
Why's it good?
Ringing a couple of bells isn't going to do anything.Neither is singing ave Maria in the streets.Tbh it's actually a little bit pathetic.The world hasn't ended because a building partly burned down.There is no need to have a full-blown funeral dirge for it.

Solidarity is just an overused word which people use to make themselves feel like they are doing something.Its about as effective as thoughts and prayers are.Whilst it might be appropriate for a massacre it's just not appropriate for a building.

Europe is still the heart of Christendom. This wonderful Cathedral is so much more than a building. By ringing bells and offering prayers to Our Lady, the Mother of Our Lord, the members of the Church are keeping alive the imperilled traditions which, as you clearly show, are widely mocked and traduced.
A so-called 'secular' nation, that prides itself on the separation of church and state, is rebuilding a cathedral partly with taxpayer money in 2019.
Original post by Stalin
A so-called 'secular' nation, that prides itself on the separation of church and state, is rebuilding a cathedral partly with taxpayer money in 2019.

the French are not alone in this disgraceful behavior tovarich

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sainte-trinite-paris-welcomes-kremlin-funded-russian-orthodox-cathedral-as-french-court-tries-to-a6939601.html

Communism was too direct and obvious. How else is Putin supposed to convert the infidel?
Europe is still the heart of Christendom. This wonderful Cathedral is so much more than a building. By ringing bells and offering prayers to Our Lady, the Mother of Our Lord, the members of the Church are keeping alive the imperilled traditions which, as you clearly show, are widely mocked and traduced.

I suppose you are right.It is the centre of what remains of Christianity.Europe is becoming more atheist by the day.Its only a matter of time before Christianity is gone.

Some traditions deserve to be mocked tbh.Catholicism quite literally practices cannibalism or they believe they do anyway.Drinking blood and eating flesh, what is that if not cannibalism? And like I say prayers and singing have never accomplished anything in 2000 years.If you want a cathedral saved then look to your fire fighters not the heavens.If you want to stop gun deaths then the way to do that is by enacting gun control legislation rather than by sending thoughts and prayers.If you want to pass exams it's no good praying for it.Prayers never do anything.Almost as if nobody hears them in fact.
Original post by AJ126
prayers and singing have never accomplished anything in 2000 years.

This is obvious nonsense, and I speak as an atheist. I suggest you watch the famous film 'Zulu' to see what singing can accomplish. There are two striking incidents that exemplfy it perfectly. Or you could attend an FA Cup final at Wembley, or an international Rugby match at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply