The Student Room Group

Notre Dame Cathedral is on fire!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rainfall
they’re raising 600million for a building when there are this many homeless people.

Why do you spend money on entertaining yourself, cosmetics, jewellery, luxury goods, many sets of clothes and so on when there are lots of homeless people?
dont take offence to this but it is just a building, this is a genuine question and not sarcasm but why do you people care so much?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Yeah, that's pretty amazing at this stage. I think luckily they have been very quick to evacuate everyone.
Original post by asdasdsafas
dont take offence to this but it is just a building, this is a genuine question and not sarcasm but why do you people care so much?

its a symbol of faith, of France and our European culture which we should make efforts to preserve the majesty of these symbols and buildings
Original post by Good bloke
Why do you spend money on entertaining yourself, cosmetics, jewellery, luxury goods, many sets of clothes and so on when there are lots of homeless people?

lmao how are you comparing that to 600m. i’m a human, not a bunch of bricks
people can afford to make themselves happy because people are hard wired to be selfish but we still do our part to give our money out to people who need it. Just because people don't give all their money away doesn't make them selfish, if we can make the extra money to help people then why are we spending on a building that has no thought, no feeling, no consciousness? Surely it is a more pragmatic use of our time and energy to help people who can actually be helped rather than continuing to help ourselves by 'helping a building'? Your argument about people spending money to entertain themselves when there are homeless people doesn't make you smart or make you seem like you care more, it just makes you sound stupid, selfish and definitely hypocritical and not to mention you don't even know this person: maybe they do spend money on homeless people more themselves because the bottom line is you don't know.

arguably Notre Dame is as important/more important than you, a symbol of Europe and France enduring for 850 years on the banks of the Seine, bearing witness to many important historical events
But is there not a better use of our time, energy and resources, is there not real living and breathing people equal to yourself being denied to right to eat because they can do any better? Why would we help something can't feel anymore then your bed when we can change someones life.

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
its a symbol of faith, of France and our European culture which we should make efforts to preserve the majesty of these symbols and buildings
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
arguably Notre Dame is as important/more important than you, a symbol of Europe and France enduring for 850 years on the banks of the Seine, bearing witness to many important historical events

yeah because that’s so much more important than people suffering
But is there not a better use of our time, energy and resources, is there not real living and breathing people equal to yourself being denied to right to eat because they can do any better? Why would we help something can't feel anymore then your bed when we can change someones life.

so why do we build mosques/synagogues should be leave them to crumble, do you want to sell everything you own and become Mother Teresa, as I'm sure there are many things that are not neccesities in your life, yes we should help people as best we can, but preserving our own heritage and culture is extremely important
Reply 129
they are raising this money because the notre dame is a famous and most importantly a historic building that all french and tourists take pride in, people have offered not forced to give this money as they want to help France in this tragic event.

People want this to be repaired so the faith can be restored in the people of france,

they’re raising 600million for a building when there are this many homeless people.
(edited 5 years ago)

You implied that spare cash should be spent on the homeless. You cannot insist that different rules should apply between you, billionaires and governments. It is hypocritical to moan about this if you have spare cash that you spend on the things I mentioned in preference to spending it on the homless.
I see. Your experience with faith is fine and valid but is different to my own personal experience which was initiated by God with no conscious input from myself. I used to consider myself deistic at best before Jesus revealed himself to me
Original post by TheNamesBond.
That's exactly what it is.

You want it, so you have it, I used to be a Muslim and I know what you mean, I felt an intense connection, but that connection was self made, by me, when you strongly believe in something it begins to become real to you, and because you want it, or need it, you'll begin to see it.
yeah because that’s so much more important than people suffering

didnt realise you were suffering, was referring to the fact that you said that you were more important than a bunch of brick - was saying that Notre Dame is far more important/as important than you

we need to help the poor, doesnt mean we let a hugely important building in the middle of Paris be, in a pile of ashes?

the same can be said for any religious building including mosques and synagogues, should we leave them in a state of disrepair and crumble ?
But is there not a better use of our time, energy and resources, is there not real living and breathing people equal to yourself being denied to right to eat because they can do any better?

Notre Dame de Paris is an iconic building that is symbolic of France, Europe even, and has enormous meaning to the French people. It links them to their past and origins, and helps to unite them. It represents thinking, culture, achievement, beauty, activity. It is also at the centre of important money-earning activities like tourism. It is of vast importance.

If the world adopted your utilitarian attitudes it would be a very nasty place indeed.
(edited 5 years ago)
You implied that spare cash should be spent on the homeless. You cannot insist that different rules should apply between you, billionaires and governments. It is hypocritical to moan about this if you have spare cash that you spend on the things I mentioned in preference to spending it on the homless.

i do give to the homeless. why would i be moaning about this if i didn’t give my change? but do i even have 10k? no! 100m can help the homeless so much but no spend it on a building that can easily just burn again.
i do give to the homeless. why would i be moaning about this if i didn’t give my change? but do i even have 10k? no! 100m can help the homeless so much but no spend it on a building that can easily just burn again.

Giving your change is neither here nor there. You are still wasting money on fripperies which could help the homless. Until you stop doing so you have no right to criticise what others spend their money on.

In any event, giving change to beggars on the street does not help the homeless, and may do damage to them; many are professional beggars earning large sums from people like you.
Original post by AJ126
That's what Catholics literally believe.They believe they are drinking and eating the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.Just because it's not really flesh and blood in reality is irrelevant.They think it is.So in their minds that's exactly what they are doing eating and drinking the flesh and blood of another human being.Which is cannibalism.Its not my fault it's a mad belief.Yet people think its normal.Its not normal at all.

You been reading Dan Brown?
That's what you believe.

I've just told you an explanation as to why you think you have a connection, you've just ignored that and repeated yourself.
That is because my experience is different from yours and you can’t apply your opinion to my experience
Original post by TheNamesBond.
That's what you believe.

I've just told you an explanation as to why you think you have a connection, you've just ignored that and repeated yourself.
Why is it different?

You believe you have a connection with God
So did I

?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending