messaged my ex did i do the right thing? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
My ex broke up with me 2 months ago after 2 years of being together, i'd been suffering from depression towards the end of the relationship
undiagnosed and am now in the process of recovering. Today i sent a message.

"Hey, you can you pick up your stuff I've put it near the front door so you can just grab it and go.

I know I shouldn't do this but I guess it's better than regretting never telling you. I just wanted to say thank you, thank you for the time we had and thank you for finishing things. It put things in perspective, I'd lost myself and what I wanted to do. I buried myself in distraction instead of addressing my own problems and seeking help and you suffered because of it. That's my biggest regret.

My other regret was not showing you the appreciation you deserved. For that I'm also sorry. I'm sorry for never telling you how amazingly smart you are or how I was constantly in awe. You really are amazing and I wish you every success, which I'm sure will come, your one of the hardest working people I've ever met.I still love you and I guess I will for a time.

I wish you all the best, even though we walk different paths, I will always remember fondly the time we crossed.I'm sorry if this is weird or upsetting but it's the only way I could think of getting it off my chest.Better to tell you now than regret never telling you.

Once you've gotten your stuff I'll delete your number and then I bid you adieu."

Did I do the right thing. I feel like a weight is off my shoulders.
ItsTomii
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you feel better then yeah, it’s the right thing.
MidgetFever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'd say so, it's made you feel better and you were friendly about it and explained yourself.

I just hope that you are planning to seek help though, since you said you regret not doing so. Best of luck with it <3
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
I think what you said was wonderful. But also remember the relationship didnt just collapse because of you. I can tell you feel very guilty because you feel like you were not good enough or didnt do enough. I have been there. Be proud of how far you have come. I can also tell you are still madly in love with me, dont fight that. Let those feelings in and use them to better yourself in every aspect. Whether that means for you, them or even someone else in the future. You really have to hit rock bottom to climb to the top. After my ex of 3 years split with me because of a career distances and my deepening insecurities, it hit hard. I hit depression and finally went for therapy and medication. Learned a lot about myself, achieved milestones, now I am mentally healthier than ever. My insecurities were riddled deep within myself and not our relationship. Sometimes a breakup is a double edged sword of a gift. Its been 2 years since we talked but I would be lying if I said i wasnt still in love with her. Dont feel like you have to do anything other than work on yourself and let your feelings in. Try your best not to put your feelings on social media (thats not anonymous) because you will regret it.
To your question; you did the right thing, I would say that the best thing is to tell them that whilst you do feel for them that you need the time to improve yourself because you cant love another person until you learn to love yourself. Give it time and space. When you ready, message them to see if they would like a coffee. If they do, see where it goes with the new you. If not, you are stronger than ever and cant tackle anything.
You can do this.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
madly in love with them*
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think what you said was wonderful. But also remember the relationship didnt just collapse because of you. I can tell you feel very guilty because you feel like you were not good enough or didnt do enough. I have been there. Be proud of how far you have come. I can also tell you are still madly in love with me, dont fight that. Let those feelings in and use them to better yourself in every aspect. Whether that means for you, them or even someone else in the future. You really have to hit rock bottom to climb to the top. After my ex of 3 years split with me because of a career distances and my deepening insecurities, it hit hard. I hit depression and finally went for therapy and medication. Learned a lot about myself, achieved milestones, now I am mentally healthier than ever. My insecurities were riddled deep within myself and not our relationship. Sometimes a breakup is a double edged sword of a gift. Its been 2 years since we talked but I would be lying if I said i wasnt still in love with her. Dont feel like you have to do anything other than work on yourself and let your feelings in. Try your best not to put your feelings on social media (thats not anonymous) because you will regret it.
To your question; you did the right thing, I would say that the best thing is to tell them that whilst you do feel for them that you need the time to improve yourself because you cant love another person until you learn to love yourself. Give it time and space. When you ready, message them to see if they would like a coffee. If they do, see where it goes with the new you. If not, you are stronger than ever and cant tackle anything.
You can do this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.66%
No - but I will (46)
6.69%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (325)
47.24%

Watched Threads