Religion help Watch

MariannaL
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am just so confused about what I believe in. I attend church and I feel really good there and feel like God has my back but I don’t know if I believe because I am fooling myself to believe since I want God to exist or because I really actually believe.

If Jesus was God’s only son why are we all then called God’s children?

Also, I don’t understand why if God is all powerful did he have to sacrifice Jesus to reconcile us.

Also I am a lesbian and is that going to hinder my salvation in any way or ?

I just have so many questions.
If anyone can help out it would be much appreciated.

Thank you .
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Melobond
Badges: 9
Report 1 week ago
religion is very confusing. I'm Catholic, been to catholic schools my whole life and even I don't get it..
Lala143
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try other Abrahamic faiths as they have similar concepts.
We can't be God's children if God is divine and beyond our comprehension which I like to think God is. I don't believe Jesus can be God's son because then God the holy spirit would be impure so yeah...
I'm not sure about my beliefs either but I'm certain God is divine and beyond what I as a human can imagine.
Last edited by Lala143; 1 week ago
arieslover
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
TBH religion is one confusing subject or maybe topic its just people's perspective on religion is very contrasting to the environment.....i am a hindu but then i also believe in jesus and he is the son of god.....but then who is god????? Tricky question..... i once got told Krishna is the Almighty God i believed it but now see a change i learn new stuff about religion so only god know who he is..........
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by Melobond)
religion is very confusing. I'm Catholic, been to catholic schools my whole life and even I don't get it..
Thanks. Yeah, I understand you. It is just really frustrating and I am always existential and keep constantly changing my mind about what I believe in.
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lala143)
Try other Abrahamic faiths as they have similar concepts.
We can't be God's children if God is divine and beyond our comprehension which I like to think God is. I don't believe Jesus can be God's son because then God the holy spirit would be impure so yeah...
I'm not sure about my beliefs either but I'm certain God is divine and beyond what I as a human can imagine.
That is an interesting take.

But in Christianity you have to accept that Jesus is God’s son and died for our sins in order to achieve salvation.

Are you a Christian?
hunfilm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i would defo suggest looking more into your religion (or even delving into other Abrahamic ones if you're interested) to gain a deeper understanding of it all. as a religious person myself, i realised that when i lived by my religion passively i had so many unanswered questions, but once i looked into authentic scriptures and books it helped me gain understanding, closure and strengthen in faith.

hope everything works out for you
MariannaL
Rep:
?
(Original post by hunfilm)
i would defo suggest looking more into your religion (or even delving into other Abrahamic ones if you're interested) to gain a deeper understanding of it all. as a religious person myself, i realised that when i lived by my religion passively i had so many unanswered questions, but once i looked into authentic scriptures and books it helped me gain understanding, closure and strengthen in faith.

hope everything works out for you
Thank you.
TheProctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://youtu.be/yaPBiism1Wk
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MariannaL)
That is an interesting take.

But in Christianity you have to accept that Jesus is God’s son and died for our sins in order to achieve salvation.

Are you a Christian?
I don't have a religion yet. If we are all God's children then why is only he known as God's son? He may have guided us but how could a God die as Jesus is the second form of God the father in Christianity... If that makes sense.
MariannaL
Rep:
?
I don't have a religion yet. If we are all God's children then why is only he known as God's son? He may have guided us but how could a God die as Jesus is the second form of God the father in Christianity... If that makes sense.
I am asking myself the same questions.
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand where you are coming from but are you suggesting that there is no divine being? Everything in this universe can't come from nothing: 0 can not equal 1.
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It's confusing because it's man-made, illogical, nonsense. Having your son / yourself tortured to death to be able to forgive man for breaking your own rules, which you knew they would when you created them, makes this (claimed) God illogical, vile and stupid.
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm teaching myself about other Abrahamic faiths as they seem more logical(to me: Buddhism is more a way of life than a faith, Hinduism and Sikhism suggest there are many Gods so there wouldn't be one to direct your prayer to and they have human attributes and God is divine beyond my capabilities of sight if God is indeed my creator so I will stick to Abrahamic faiths).
I am asking myself the same questions.
MariannaL
Rep:
?
I'm teaching myself about other Abrahamic faiths as they seem more logical(to me: Buddhism is more a way of life than a faith, Hinduism and Sikhism suggest there are many Gods so there wouldn't be one to direct your prayer to and they have human attributes and God is divine beyond my capabilities of sight if God is indeed my creator so I will stick to Abrahamic faiths).
I was going for everything at some point. Was considering Buddhism and Hinduism but now I am leaning more towards Christianity and I do love Jesus a lot.
What faiths are you thinking of ?
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Christianity, Islam and Judaism.
I was going for everything at some point. Was considering Buddhism and Hinduism but now I am leaning more towards Christianity and I do love Jesus a lot.
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All of this philosophical questioning and wondering is making me feel drained!
MariannaL
Rep:
?
Christianity, Islam and Judaism.
Yeah I gathered that; was wondering if you’re looking more into one above the others ?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand where you are coming from but are you suggesting that there is no divine being? Everything in this universe can't come from nothing: 0 can not equal 1.
There is zero evidence for a divine being, so I'm not believing any of the thousands of inconsistent diety claims.

If time began with the universe, then there is no concept of it coming from something. However, where did this divine being come from? Wouldn't it be simpler, with your logic, to make an exception for the universe, rather than requiring an all-powerful being?

Not being able to comprehend how something could happen proves nothing. There are lots of individuals that don't understand how their mobile phones work - should they claim that "God did it"?!
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Assuming there is a divine being, we wouldn't be able to see/understand that divine being otherwise that divine being would be 'on our level' which can't be very high as we're supposedly linked quite closely to animals(not flat earthers I mean apes).
I don't understand what you mean by your second paragraph but from what I understood you're suggesting time had a beginning but time is infinite- it is a concept. How could a divine being even be created? If this was the case there would be a 'divin-er' being? The universe had a beginning light years earlier and I believe in the Big Bang theory but what created the Big Bang: a divine being which I will call God.
(Original post by RogerOxon)
There is zero evidence for a divine being, so I'm not believing any of the thousands of inconsistent diety claims.

If time began with the universe, then there is no concept of it coming from something. However, where did this divine being come from? Wouldn't it be simpler, with your logic, to make an exception for the universe, rather than requiring an all-powerful being?

Not being able to comprehend how something could happen proves nothing. There are lots of individuals that don't understand how their mobile phones work - should they claim that "God did it"?!
Lala143
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Judaism or Islam. I have explored Christianity more and have found more ideas that clash with my own beliefs including the ones I have listed earlier. I may find there are more clashes with other religions in which case I'll be faithless.
Yeah I gathered that; was wondering if you’re looking more into one above the others ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.77%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (634)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed