ThinkerToot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
So last year I completed my IGCSEs and my father seems to be delighted by the idea of a University in Cyprus Turkey that accepts IGCSEs and has undergraduate courses. My grades were average so yeah.

I, myself am excited for this "plan" that my father has arranged for me and if God wills, I think we'll be applying online to that university in summer. Now the thing is, the mindset I had in my mind for my career is to pick Psychology as my major course along with English Literature and Religious Studies on the side. But major in Psychology. The University only has Psychology in it and the Literature I want to study is in Turkish, not English. And there is no religious studies either. That's a bummer. The reason to my course choice is that I want to become a part time author but a forensic Psychologist.

As Asian fathers are, he wants me to choose a careerline that will actually help me financially and is hoping to put me into the psychology-education program.

The University is ranked pretty high and is cheap too. But I'm having second thoughts about finishing my A levels and then going to ANOTHER university that might offer the courses I WANT TO study. But this opportunity is kinda once in a lifetime I guess and my father does not want to miss it.

I need help. Should I go for it? Or wait till 2020 to complete my A levels?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
If you want to work and train to be a psychologist in the UK, your course needs to be accredited by the British Psychological Society, so it's not really worth going there (there are only about 10 courses abroad that are accredited and they are linked to UK unis)

You don't need to study English Lit to become an author. Some courses let you take electives that don't necessarily add to your course title too
(Original post by ThinkerToot)
So last year I completed my IGCSEs and my father seems to be delighted by the idea of a University in Cyprus Turkey that accepts IGCSEs and has undergraduate courses. My grades were average so yeah.

I, myself am excited for this "plan" that my father has arranged for me and if God wills, I think we'll be applying online to that university in summer. Now the thing is, the mindset I had in my mind for my career is to pick Psychology as my major course along with English Literature and Religious Studies on the side. But major in Psychology. The University only has Psychology in it and the Literature I want to study is in Turkish, not English. And there is no religious studies either. That's a bummer. The reason to my course choice is that I want to become a part time author but a forensic Psychologist.

As Asian fathers are, he wants me to choose a careerline that will actually help me financially and is hoping to put me into the psychology-education program.

The University is ranked pretty high and is cheap too. But I'm having second thoughts about finishing my A levels and then going to ANOTHER university that might offer the courses I WANT TO study. But this opportunity is kinda once in a lifetime I guess and my father does not want to miss it.

I need help. Should I go for it? Or wait till 2020 to complete my A levels?
ThinkerToot
Rep:
?
Ah I don't plan to go to the UK actually. After I do my Bachelor's in Psychology, I'll go for masters and then maybe settle in Turkey or fly back to my country and settle there. Should I really drop the chance then?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm afraid I don't know enough about international study and universities (both in terms of the undergrad course and how to train to be a forensic psych)
(Original post by ThinkerToot)
Ah I don't plan to go to the UK actually. After I do my Bachelor's in Psychology, I'll go for masters and then maybe settle in Turkey or fly back to my country and settle there. Should I really drop the chance then?
ThinkerToot
Rep:
?
It's alright. Thank you so much for answering though! You've relieved me on if I should really go for Eng Lit or no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
61.54%
No (50)
38.46%

Watched Threads