Is 24 too old to do a PHD? Watch

madmirrors
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Currently, I'm doing a master's and am in the process of applying to do a PHD and I'm 23 currently turning 24 this year. I will be 27 when I finish my PHD and I feel so old.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ThinkerToot
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think earning a PHD or smth should have a restricted age.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 12
Report 1 week ago
Your meant to finish PhD at 27 years old at the minimum, if you think about it, you finished A levels at 18/19, 3 years doing a bachelors degree, 1 year masters, 4 years for a PhD this would leave you at 26/27 years old.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThinkerToot)
I don't think earning a PHD or smth should have a restricted age.
I think the question was if age would restrict his/her chances .

(Original post by madmirrors)
Currently, I'm doing a master's and am in the process of applying to do a PHD and I'm 23 currently turning 24 this year. I will be 27 when I finish my PHD and I feel so old.
I've never been interested in UKish PHDs, but in many countries doing PHD at 27 is a young age, and I've recently heard of a guy who did PHD after retiring from his job.
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is this a serious question? Most people who start their PhD would be 23/24 anyway, considering they did a 3 year degree + a 1 year master's degree.
ddsizebra
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
most people don't even have masters...there is no age limit for doing any degree. age 27 finishing PhD isn't old, in fact it's normal since most people get a job related for some more experience (to show that you have some professional development rather than studying studying and studying) and more funding
toronto353
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not at all. I know of one PhD student who was in his 40s before he got his PhD and another in his 60s. The former went into academia, the latter sadly passed away soon after passing his viva. There's no upper age limit to do a PhD at all and it's not something you should worry about.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you not ever watch University Challenge? The age of most of the PhD candidates is a lot older.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll be at least 28 when I start mine, so I hope not.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No.
Melobond
Badges: 9
Report 1 week ago
never too old to do anythiiiiing
Lilligant22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My tutor is a husband and dad to two children and he's only recently a PhD student.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Melobond)
never too old to do anythiiiiing
This is of course not true. You can't do a career as a pianist if you start to learn at the age of 80. My God, you can't do this even if you start at the age of 18!
There are things you can't learn well if you don't start as a child. And lots of things you could learn at many different ages, you can't do because scholarships pay only to teenagers and early twenties.
Melobond
Report 1 week ago
way to put a downer on things
(Original post by PTMalewski)
This is of course not true. You can't do a career as a pianist if you start to learn at the age of 80. My God, you can't do this even if you start at the age of 18!
There are things you can't learn well if you don't start as a child. And lots of things you could learn at many different ages, you can't do because scholarships pay only to teenagers and early twenties.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Report 1 week ago
way to put a downer on things
How come theres no rep bars and rep buttons on you comment? how do I do that?
Melobond
Report 1 week ago
go to your name - customise my TSR - edit my account options and there's a thing that lets you hide it haha
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Presto
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES)
Hover over your username on the top right corner -> My TSR -> Customise my tsr -> Account options
You'll find it there
JJJJJAAAAMES
Report 1 week ago
go to your name - customise my TSR - edit my account options and there's a thing that lets you hide it haha
(Original post by Presto)
Hover over your username on the top right corner -> My TSR -> Customise my tsr -> Account options
You'll find it there
Sick
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hope not, I might do mine at 40.
LeapingLucy
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've had a few PhD students as class teachers at LSE - two of them were 30+ and honestly they were the best teachers out of all of them. One of them in particular was so lovely and actually won a teaching award at the end of year.

The point being - people do PhDs at all ages. You'll definitely be at the younger end, so I don't think age is something you need to worry about!
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads