Is University of Sheffield a good uni? Watch

madmirrors
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm applying to do my PHD in a biological science at Sheffield and wondered if anyone can shed some light on the uni, the nightlife of the city and general stuff like campus and student union etc. I'm currently at University of Nottingham doing a master's.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Exceptional
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why not visit? Sheffield isn't far. The SU at Sheffield is allegedly the best in the country, the 'campus' is spread across the city so not as pretty as Notts. Reputation-wise, it's good. The city is larger and the shopping in my opinion is better in Sheffield, though not sure about nightlife.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Max1989
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I strongly recommend you go for an open day or even just a visit. It is reputation wise a good Uni, but when I went for a visit I really didn't like the city, I know this is my personal opinion, but it is important having them. The Uni was amazing, the SU I think is a little overated but it's still good, you aren't an undergrad so SU's don't matter as much but still nice to have. But the city was the downside for me, the city has outsourced most of its shopping the Meadow hall leaving the centre around the Uni almost ghost town like, there are lots of pubs/clubs and student stuff, but there's not much outside the student scene, as in it's strange a city not really having the 'hustle and bustle' of other people's lives, you might like that, but when I imagine going to a city I want the vibe that people want to be here, there are jobs and money is going in and out, friends are being made. It just seemed a little dreary, I did go just before students started so it might pick up a little when there are students, but there wasn't much in the week I Stayed there. The Uni is great and if you don't really mind about the city then you'll be getting good experience academically, but if you wanted a little more from the city then I'd say there are better options.

But that's completely my opinion, and I wish you all the best, strongly suggest you go look around though.
Last edited by Max1989; 1 week ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Good university, I love Sheffield for the nightlife and go up a few times a year just for a session. Closing my fave boozer though, so...
Themysticalegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very well respected university.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm biased since I already study there, but I haven't regretted my choice to study here at all.

The city is fairly large but all of the shops and whatnot are concentrated mostly in one area so you don't have to travel far to find what you need

The uni itself is really nice, all sleek and modern facilities and good for its reputation, there's 3 libraries so finding a study space isn't too hard.

As for nightlife, it's great. I'm well into my music and there's always gigs and music nights going on so there's always plenty of places to grab a drink if you're into that.

If you have anymore questions id be glad to answer.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Good university, I love Sheffield for the nightlife and go up a few times a year just for a session. Closing my fave boozer though, so...
The Harley?

I was so upset when I found out! Deffo had some really good memories there.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
The Harley?

I was so upset when I found out! Deffo had some really good memories there.
Dove & Rainbow. Pushing out the current tenants because they want to 'rebrand' it as a foodie place, do away with the stage and the pinball machines etc. A travesty.

Suppose I shall have to make do with the Mulberry, ha.
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Dove & Rainbow. Pushing out the current tenants because they want to 'rebrand' it as a foodie place, do away with the stage and the pinball machines etc. A travesty.

Suppose I shall have to make do with the Mulberry, ha.
Oh damn, I had no idea that place was closing too. That's a shame, seen plenty of decent gigs there.

Seems to be the trend in Shef at the moment, as if there weren't enough hipster cafes/restaurants over here already. :lol:
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Oh damn, I had no idea that place was closing too. That's a shame, seen plenty of decent gigs there.

Seems to be the trend in Shef at the moment, as if there weren't enough hipster cafes/restaurants over here already. :lol:
They made it public knowledge last week, reckon they have been fighting it for about a year and they have told them to **** off by June, basically. Stinker of a decision but what can we do. 'Progress'!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads