The Student Room Group

How much did your parents contribute to your first car?

Scroll to see replies

My parent paid for my first car which was £5.6k. I paid for my lessons and my own insurance.

RIP Ocean. She was a good first car!
£0.00
£0.00 and even if they offered I wouldn’t accept. I can understand if you are aged 17 but once you hit adulthood you should have the self respect of doing things by yourself. I took out a loan to fund my car but at the end of the day I sorted it out myself. I pay about £80 per month with fixed low interest.
Original post by J0n3zviper
£0.00 and even if they offered I wouldn’t accept. I can understand if you are aged 17 but once you hit adulthood you should have the self respect of doing things by yourself. I took out a loan to fund my car but at the end of the day I sorted it out myself. I pay about £80 per month with fixed low interest.

So I don't have any self-respect because my mum paid for my first car?

What an ignorant and self-entitled comment.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
So I don't have any self-respect because my mum paid for my first car?

What an ignorant and self-entitled comment.

Correct, you should look after yourself once you hit adult age. Self-entitled? Yes wanting to buy my own things and not taking money of mummy and daddy are definitely traits of self entitlement
(edited 4 years ago)
Parents paid for 10 lessons for my 17th birthday.

I paid for my car and insurance myself from savings I had made from working behind the bar in a local club at weekends.

It was a cheap car and the insurance cost more than the car did first year but I had that satisfaction that it was mine and all my own effort.
Nothing. Lessons, driving tests, purchased, insured, MOT'd, serviced, taxed and fuelled with no help.

Honestly, seems like a lot of young adults are born flakes and seemingly exist only with parental subsidy.
(edited 4 years ago)
My first car was a Toyota Yaris ('12) which my parents kindly bought me for £2, 200 off a dealership. It needed extensive works to make it roadworthy again but thankfully I have an uncle who works as a senior engineer for Toyota and was willing to bring the car back to life for free.

The parts we had to meticulously source on-line and and came to circa £700.00 I don't recall how much my insurance was but I don't think it was over £800.00. My parents paid for the roadtax and the MOT was free.

I've since sold the Yaris to a friend since I live in London and rely on public transport. Other than its obvious lack of grunt, it was a brilliant all-round car that was a pleasure to drive. £25.00 of fuel and it would last a full month (expert on conserving fuel).
my parents payed for my lessons , insurance and brought me a brand new car ,a Mustard Yellow Porsche GT718 Cayman ..its superfast !!
My Nan had saved up money since I was born to pay for my first car and year of insurance. I pay for my own lessons and tax, though.
Original post by bones-mccoy
My Nan had saved up money since I was born to pay for my first car and year of insurance. I pay for my own lessons and tax, though.

That just made me smile.
Original post by Cantab_UCL
That just made me smile.

I know, she was such a lovely, generous lady :smile:

Put a couple of grand in a bond when I was born and just let it gain interest over the years, she's done it for my sister too
I know, she was such a lovely, generous lady :smile:

Put a couple of grand in a bond when I was born and just let it gain interest over the years, she's done it for my sister too

You say you have money? (she has wonga, guys)

Let's get to know each other better... :wink:
Original post by Cantab_UCL
You say you have money? (she has wonga, guys)

Let's get to know each other better... :wink:

I spent it all on a car lmao
I spent it all on a car lmao

Shall I lend you a fiver?
Nothing.
Didn't even know I had a car or a driver's license.
Original post by londonmyst
Nothing.
Didn't even know I had a car or a driver's license.

Are you not in contact with your parents?
Are you not in contact with your parents?

No.
But I got the car and driver's licence when I still lived in their house.
Correct, you should look after yourself once you hit adult age. Self-entitled? Yes wanting to buy my own things and not taking money of mummy and daddy are definitely traits of self entitlement

Lol.
Reply 39
They paid for my 10 lessons and test.

I bought my first car insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending