A Level Subject Suggestions Watch

MKB04
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hello everybody I’d like to ask about a particular Cambridge International A Level subject combination which I’m interested in. The subjects include:

Maths (9709)
Biology (9700)
Chemistry (9701)
Economics (9708)
Law (9084)

I’m Interested in Biology and Chemistry as they’re interesting subjects in science and I’ve always enjoyed studying them. I’m interested in Maths as it’s always been a subject which I’ve been academically strong in. I’ve been intrested in Economics since I started it in my IGCSE’s and I’ve been interested in Law as it’s probably something I’m going to do as a career.

Now I understand that doing 5 subjects in AS/A Levels is going to be tremendously difficult, however, I’ve already gone through the basics of Law, Economics and Biology beforehand and really enjoyed it. Also, in my school taking 3 A Level subjects is fairly rare (there’s only one person studying it in the entire school) and 4-5 subjects is practically the norm, with a very few amount of people even doing 6.

This is off topic but for reference this is the list of subjects which I’ve done in my Cambridge IGCSE’s:

Maths (0580)
English (0510)
Biology (0610)
Chemistry (0620)
Physics (0625)
ICT (0417)
Accounting (0452)
Economics (0455)
Environmental Management (0680)
rcav
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
assuming you want to go to a uk uni:

maths and three sciences can get you into almost every scientific subject (apart from very mathematical ones at the very top universities as you may need further maths). however, while it is possible to do law at uni with your subjects, i believe they prefer more essay subjects such as english lit and history as a levels, while a level law is less respected. you could still probably get in with yours though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quick-use
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
There aren't any reasons for you to do 4 or 5 A levels - universities will only care about 3. That said, if you're certain you want to do as many as possible then I'd recommend doing: Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics.

Even if you wanted to do Law at university, A level Law will definitely not be required. Universities may even prefer you don't do A level Law as it'll be completely different to what you'll study at university. Economics, on the other hand, is a good social science that is very well-regarded by all universities.
MKB04
Rep:
?
(Original post by rcav)
assuming you want to go to a uk uni:

maths and three sciences can get you into almost every scientific subject (apart from very mathematical ones at the very top universities as you may need further maths). however, while it is possible to do law at uni with your subjects, i believe they prefer more essay subjects such as english lit and history as a levels, while a level law is less respected. you could still probably get in with yours though.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, my school does not offer English Language/Literature and History for A Levels.
MKB04
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
There aren't any reasons for you to do 4 or 5 A levels - universities will only care about 3. That said, if you're certain you want to do as many as possible then I'd recommend doing: Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics.

Even if you wanted to do Law at university, A level Law will definitely not be required. Universities may even prefer you don't do A level Law as it'll be completely different to what you'll study at university. Economics, on the other hand, is a good social science that is very well-regarded by all universities.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll definitely consider it.
Jono*
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
what exactly do you want to know? I did CIE (finished last year) but maths is the only one on that list I did. Was going to do bio as a 4th a level but decided to drop it as it has no relavence to my degree but I just really enjoyed it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed