What do people think about notre dam? Watch

idk01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Alas. The start of the French revolution.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
Pasting a news article about terror attacks on a churches is not a valid reason to stir up the suggestion that what happened to Notre Dame today was terror related...

Why don't you let actual facts come out first from a reputable media source before jumping the gun?
He is right, it very well could be terrorism, it might have just been a mistake but saying "could be terrorism" isnt wrong, especially since attacks on places of worship and national monuments would obviously be big targets.
Nalk1573
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
what is a dam ?

what you jump off in goldeneye 007 ?
Last edited by Nalk1573; 1 week ago
Kallisto
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mixedraceguy)
What do people think about notre dam was it natural like an act of god or was it an act of terrorism?
Both seem to be thinkable, if 'act of god' means that an accident may the reason that the cathedral burnt. Think it is the latter one, a terror attack.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It just sounds a bit off to me I'm Christian and deeply saddened by this it's always horrible when God's home is destroyed its the worst thing
It's definately not the worst thing, nor is it a home. I find it outrageous that some can care more about buildings than people. The amount of suffering in this world is the "worst thing", IMO.

I used to live fairly close to Notre Dame. It's a nice building, so I find it sad despite being an Atheist. Hopefully, it will be restored, but it'll take a long time.
Mixedraceguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Unknown-99)
Why does it sound off? There was literally scaffolding on the building as renovation work has been taking place. It wouldn't be difficult for a fire to spread due to a welding mistake or electrical fault. Everyone is saddened by this but we should grieve in peace.
It's just mad how many churches have been destioyed over the past year and there's been major terrorism in Paris this decade yes It could be an accident but I'm not 100% sure I hope for gods sake that I was an accident but my heart cannot rest till we get confirmation
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Both seem to be thinkable, if 'act of god' means that an accident may the reason that the cathedral burnt. Think it is the latter one, a terror attack.
Yeah I mean electrical fault etc
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
He is right, it very well could be terrorism, it might have just been a mistake but saying "could be terrorism" isnt wrong, especially since attacks on places of worship and national monuments would obviously be big targets.
Of course.

But there is so far zero evidence to suggest what happened today was terror related, and all this is pure unhelpful speculation.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Targets to my religious opposition
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by UWS)
I've never heard of the notre "dam". Never knew it was a water building.

The Notre Dame, however....
"The Our Lady"?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
It's definately not the worst thing, nor is it a home. I find it outrageous that some can care more about buildings than people. The amount of suffering in this world is the "worst thing", IMO.

I used to live fairly close to Notre Dame. It's a nice building, so I find it sad despite being an Atheist. Hopefully, it will be restored, but it'll take a long time.
Because buildings like these are the embodiment of the millions and millions of people who have built said building,who have died defending France and thus the building.
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nalk1573)
Could be yellow vesters who just want to destroy everything

could be muslims

could be Jews

could be buddhist monks

honestly I don't know, but dozens of churches have been destroyed
So if its an act of terrorism the culprits could be potential haters of god and are going to hell?
a) What on earth has led you to suggest this was an act of terror?

b) For Burton’s Legal Thesaurus: act of god. (n.d.) Burton’s Legal Thesaurus, 4E. (2007). Retrieved April 15 2019 from https://legal-dictionary.thefreedict...com/act+of+god
Recent terrorism of churches and terrorism in France and by act of god I meant electrical faults etc perhaps I didn't use the best phrase
Last edited by Mixedraceguy; 1 week ago
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by poweio)
Imagine crying over a building. How pathetic.
People react differently to things. Some buildings and places have different meanings to different people.

The Notre Dam took 200 years to build. It survived the Revolution and WW2 amongst other things.

It's a magnificent structure - it's not just any old building.... Not to mention the artwork and various other artefacts within it.
poweio
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People react differently to things. Some buildings and places have different meanings to different people.

The Notre Dam took 200 years to build. It survived the Revolution and WW2 amongst other things.

It's a magnificent structure - it's not just any old building....
So what?
Mixedraceguy
Rep:
?
Imagine crying over a building. How pathetic.
A building that is the house of god imagine if your home burnt down
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So what?
You clearly haven't read what I've written, or you struggle with reading comprehension.

poweio
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A building that is the house of god imagine if your home burnt down
House of an imaginary being? ohh wow.
poweio
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You clearly haven't read what I've written, or you struggle with reading comprehension.

No I read what you have written and understand - it's just bs.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
House of an imaginary being? ohh wow.
And yet one a billion times more important and influential than you. He may not be real but his influence certainly is
Blue_Cow
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No I read what you have written and understand - it's just bs.
Nah, you clearly don't, otherwise you'd accept the fact that the significance of things, be it people or buildings vary depending on the person.

I wouldn't cry over a building, but if people want to, so be it. No need to belittle them.

Clearly this is a futile conversation. I needn't carry on Have a good evening.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (452)
37.95%
No - but I will (89)
7.47%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.61%

Watched Threads