university and law school Watch

maoam2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
after you receiving a law degree in university, do you have to go to law school or is university and law school the same thing?
artful_lounger
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
In what country? Legal education varies widely across the world.

In the UK, the LLB, provided it's a qualifying law degree (QLD), would be "law school". You would then currently need to undertake the Legal Practice Course (LPC) as a postgraduate qualification (it's not a masters, I think it's officially at PGDip level) and a Training Contract (TC) with a law firm to become a solicitor (the route to become a barrister is somewhat similar in that it involves a period of postgrad vocational study and then working in a training position, but they are wholly separate routes).

After completing the LPC and TC satisfactorily you would be admitted to the Roll of Solicitors and hence be a fully qualified lawyer. You can also do any first degree (BA/BSc etc) in a non-law subject then do a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) as a conversion course, then follow the above route through LPC and TC.The above is changing soon however with the LPC and QLD requirements being replaced by a Solicitors Qualifying Exam (SQE). You would then go on to a TC as above and thus qualify as a lawyer (the barrister route is not changing in this way at present though).

In the US however, the qualifying law degree is always a graduate degree (the JD), and so you always have to get an undergraduate bachelors first and then apply to the graduate degree. This graduate course is then "law school".
Last edited by artful_lounger; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads